Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like Aussies?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

I've be in Australia for almost 4 years but have moved jobs a few months ago. In my last couple of jobs in Perth I was working with alot of Irish guys with some Aussie guys. In my new job the guys I work with are mostly Aussie and its just not the same. I miss the Irish humour and banter as Aussies just don't have the same sense of humour. Whats anyone else's opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Like people from every country on this planet, they have their positives and negatives. Have met some great Australian people, and have met some right d1ckheads! Really can't make a sweeping generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

After spending a little time in NZ you realise that an awful lot of Aussies (especially when abroad) are loud, brash, obnoxious and pretty damn racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Two things I will say though:

1) From travelling and meeting Aussies in Ireland I always had the idea in my head that Aussies were people that were always up for the craic. But when you actually live in Australia you realise that the Australians you meet abroad when travelling are not reflective of the general population in Australia. Have met a fair chunk of people who you simply could not squeeze any ounce of craic out of.

2) Contrary to most countries where people from the countryside tend to be friendlier than city people, Australia is actually an exception to this rule. I've found many of the people I have met in rural Australia to be among the rudest and socially inept people I have ever frequented. I guess being so isolated doesn't help with the good old fashioned people skills!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Random numbers, I think you are taking Australia all too serious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Thread to be locked before it gets to page 2!!!

Aussies same as anyone else, though it's great to wind them up and have a hop off them. I have met the coolest people in Aus, and I have met rude people, same in every other country including Ireland.

You go to some pubs in rural Ireland, and they're as bad as any outback pub, and we have the "culture" of Europe on our doorstep...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I quite like the Aussies and rate them as one of my favoured nationalities, I was especially endeared by the hospitality shown towards me and my friends last year in the smaller towns and villages in rural Australia whom I would consider to be salt of the earth aussies.

I met some really nice folk and after driving up the east coast we stopped back into the same small motel we had stayed in a few days previous and the people were so friendly and nice it left a great impression, there was a power cut when arrived that night as a car had crashed into the powerlines nearby unfortunatly killing the driver and they only wanted to charge us half rate but I insisted on paying full due to the brilliant hospitality shown towards us.

A few days later we stopped in another small coal mining town in Queensland and went for food and happened upon two lads from Tipperary and got talking to them. It was an aussie "Hotel" so we got some food which took me ill so I ended up in the jacks, in the cubicle. Whilst I was in there two or three Aussie lads came in for a whizz and one of the Tipperary lads came in then and just said hello to them, took a piss and left.

I was still in the crapper un-beknown to everyone and vile racist outburst about the Irish after the Tipp lad left out of them shocked me, and they certainly had it in for the Irish. I flushed and left with them still smoking away in the jacks, I simply nodded at them and they never knew I was Irish. It left a sour mental image however they were rural hick miners so it didn't sully my image of the aussies overall.

The one group of people I gained massive admiration for were the Kiwis I met in Australia and they left some very positive impressions on me. So to quote Father Ted, "The Aussies and Kiwis, a great bunch of lads and sheilas too" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

After spending a little time in NZ you realise that an awful lot of Aussies (especially when abroad) are loud, brash, obnoxious and pretty damn racist.

i lived and worked in NZ over a decade ago , i found casual racism pretty rife in new zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

In before the lock.

In general I know some Aussies tend to be racist, sarcastic and all the rest but its hardly going be the given rule. I find them grand once you understand their humour and they understand yours (takes a while tho), and like Stinicker I have met some salt of the earth people especially in the rural areas. Just remember its part and parcel of the country if you don't like just don't come, no point trying to change a country just because it doesn't suit yourself.

As for all the Irish people who often report here that they are shocked by racism in Australia, I cant understand how you cant be shocked at the racism in Ireland towards Travellers or is that different?

You just have to look at the AH forum and nearly every thread on Traveller's is locked by the 2nd page, glass houses and stones and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bored reader

+1 mandrake.
    Go to an Irish city and hear the abuse other nationalities that work in the late night eateries get. its shameful to say the least. go to bondi junction any night or the rocks on a Sunday in Sydney and see the carry on!!

We as a race are far from perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod I'll keep an eye on this - but i don't want it turning into a flame aussie thread.

Do I like Aussies - Yes, very much so
    Do they have the same sense of humour as Irish - No at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

My personal experience is that the younger Aussies i.e < 30, are bit harder to gel with than older generations. From meeting neighbours, people in pub etc I find older people a bit more laid back and willing to have the craic wheras younger generation take themselves a bit too seriously and are busy trying to fit the hipster stereotype. But then I do live in Brunswick so hipster/crustie segment of society is probably over represented here :)

Overall though my experience of Aussies has been overwhelmingly positive and some of our Aussie friends have been incredibly helpful and generous in helping us with the move over and in settling here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I lived in Melbourne for 2 and a half years, I made Irish mates, Kiwi mates, English mates, French mates, Belgian mates, Italian mates, American mates, Canadian mates, Danish mates, Chilean mates etc etc but no Australian mates.

I find them quite 'stand-off-ish' in general and arrogant so no I don't really like the Ozzies but Id love to go back to Melbourne for a few more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Too bad. You are all barred.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

I have a few comments to make on this! In my 2 years over here (this week actually) I have made some very good Australian friends as well as Irish, English, Scottish, French, Welsh and even Malta of all places. This through the joy that is playing "Soccer" competitively or football to most of us. Anyway, some of my own observations:
    • Their humour is different to ours, though I work with a couple of "westies" here in the CBD and they are equally adept to banter/sledging and giving/taking sh*t.
    • Around the Easten Suburbs where I live (well North Bondi) I notice that they just live in their own little bubble and seem to just either keep to themselves or just are not bothered with Backpackers (which is what they consider us all to be living around Bondi!) who may come and go out of their lives in a couple of months (unless you are female of course)! Not knocking them but if you have an established group of friends in Ireland would you be bothered with people trying to integrate in similar circumstances?
    • Unfortunately, I have found the majorityof Australians I have met lack any real substance/depth or the want/desire/ability to strike up an interesting conversation. This is mainly friends partners, close friends and the like so its not from drunken scourging! I almost blame the Australian media, Social Media and even that disgrace of a free paper MX they hand out. Australians appear to be happy to coast along unaware of what is going on around them in respect to Government and current affairs. I am sure you all know people who do not fit into this mould (as do I) but as I said the majority.

So before I get the head bitten off me, this is based on my experience of working in the CBD and living in the Eastern Suburbs. I am not well travelled in Australia and don't pretend to be. This is merely my take on the people I have met the past 2 years.

To answer the question though - Yes I do like the majority of Australian's I have met.

I have only met a couple that I can say I that I hate but they could have been any nationality just 2 idiots I had the displeasure of working with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

In the 2 months I have been here Ive found the Aussies to be pretty sound, Well except for a couple who were complete **** but saying that ive met a couple of irish **** over here aswell, Regarding the sense of humour christ but they arent on the same wave length at all, In the hostel im in the guy at the desk takes everything i say as me being serious when at home they would realise it was a joke, The poor bastard thinks we actually enjoy dancing in the rain:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

The biggest shower of whingers I've ever come across. Ooohh it's too cold. Ooh it's always raining. Ooooh I'd love a bush fire right now. And the best "You didnt really beat us because blah and blah weren't playing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Derfil wrote: »
    The biggest shower of whingers I've ever come across. Ooohh it's too cold. Ooh it's always raining. Ooooh I'd love a bush fire right now. And the best "You didnt really beat us because blah and blah weren't playing"
    So you come on here and whinge about it? Bit ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SmartHass

If the Aussies are stand off-ish to the Irish, I blame Ambasseder Brian McFadden and Representitive Ronan Keating

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Living in Adelaide, things may be slightly different to the big smokes, but i have lived in Sydney, London and Perth as well and yes, people are different with very different sense of humours to us. Every country is different and we live the other side of the planet to Ireland so what do we expect?
    I find the Aussies to be decent, hard working family orientated people. Oh, does that sound familiar? Oh, like Ireland.
    Dickheads come from everywhere.
    I find you need to invest a bit more time for people over here to get to know you but when you do it is worth it.
    Spend time understanding the people and culture we have invested a lot to live within and you might be surprised what you find. Imho, anyway!

mandrake04 wrote: »
    In before the lock.

In general I know some Aussies tend to be racist, sarcastic and all the rest but its hardly going be the given rule. I find them grand once you understand their humour and they understand yours (takes a while tho), and like Stinicker I have met some salt of the earth people especially in the rural areas. Just remember its part and parcel of the country if you don't like just don't come, no point trying to change a country just because it doesn't suit yourself.

As for all the Irish people who often report here that they are shocked by racism in Australia, I cant understand how you cant be shocked at the racism in Ireland towards Travellers or is that different?

You just have to look at the AH forum and nearly every thread on Traveller's is locked by the 2nd page, glass houses and stones and all that.

travellers ( in ireland ) are white and 99% of them are catholic , racism against travellers by settled people is inconceviable on every level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

irishh_bob wrote: »
    travellers ( in ireland ) are white and 99% of them are catholic , racism against travellers by settled people is inconceviable on every level

I had to read your post twice, nearly thought you said that there is no racism against the distinct ethnic group known as Travellers.

But yeah I agree with you that some settled Irish people forget about that type of racism, but they do like have a whinge or an opinion about what Aussies do in Australia.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I had to read your post twice, nearly thought you said that there is no racism against the distinct ethnic group known as Travellers.

But yeah I agree with you that some settled Irish people forget about that type of racism, but they do like have a whinge or an opinion about what Aussies do in Australia.

not sure how long you have been out of ireland but the U.N has ( as yet ) not forced us to grant any kind of ethnic status on travellers so you were right the first time , i said thier was no racism against travellers in ireland , just as thier is no racism against people from roscommon or sligo either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Ive been in Perth since Sept, have met a few nice people from work etc, but some are just such dicks!! full of themselves and so arrogant.

Place i was living in for while my flatmate's friend was over and i met him and went to shake his hand, he wouldnt as he dislikes the Irish. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

STIG83 wrote: »
    Ive been in Perth since Sept, have met a few nice people from work etc, but some are just such dicks!! full of themselves and so arrogant.

Place i was living in for while my flatmate's friend was over and i met him and went to shake his hand, he wouldnt as he dislikes the Irish. :rolleyes:

Hope you took a dump on him while he was asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

04072511 wrote: »
    Two things I will say though:

1) From travelling and meeting Aussies in Ireland I always had the idea in my head that Aussies were people that were always up for the craic. But when you actually live in Australia you realise that the Australians you meet abroad when travelling are not reflective of the general population in Australia. Have met a fair chunk of people who you simply could not squeeze any ounce of craic out of.

Aussies who have travelled abroad are generally friendlier and more interesting than those who have never left their own state, let alone country. Id definitely get along better with Aussies who can tell me about the pubs they drank in in Dublin during their 3 years in Europe than I would with some lad who has never even been curious enough to visit New Zealand.

As someone said before, rural Aussies generally are alot more insular etc etc than travelled folk. Queenslanders especially- they are some mean fcukers when it comes to the money I found.
    irishh_bob wrote: »

Oh come on. It isnt even remotely comparable. Irish people dislike travellers because such a large proportion of them are bludgers, thieves, all in all downright awful people who earned their own reputation. Australia seems to dislike foreigners more on grounds of skin colour and the fact they work harder than many Australians, rather than any disproportionately criminal or welfare related reasons (with a few exceptions). Sydney isnt exactly overwhelmed with gangs of Indian criminal gangs who are all on benefits yet they are a maligned group.

Whilst I find most Irish take Aussies on an individual basis, ever notice that most Brits, mainly the older lads settled here 20 plus years, despise nearly every Australian? Ability to drive, work ethic, the names they give their kids, jesus Ive had lifts from some older London lads who have been here decades, rant from start to finish :pac: Even my younger English mates looked at me like I had 2 heads when I said Id give the Socceroos my backing during the WC last year (although in fairness to them, while Ireland vs England sport rivalry is usually one sided banter, Aus vs England does seem to be more genuine dislike)

Derfil wrote: »

Too right. Australia isnt perfe3ct but really, crap like housing costs too much....piss off. You pay the same for a detatched mini mansion in the suburbs with a swimming pool in the back that you would have paid the same price for a semi 3 bed paper walled in West Dublin during the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Did Father Damo just post something positive about Aussies?

*Swooon*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I have some great Aussie friends but if I was to be asked if I would prefer to go on a night out with a bunch of random Australians or a bunch of random Irish people I had never meet before I would defiantly chose the Irish group, I have no doubt that they would be more up for a laugh then the Australian group.

In my opinion and from my experience Irish people are much more likely to do something impulsively because it sounds like fun, where as Australians in general like to plan things out in advance.

It would be extremely rare that I would be out with a group of Australian friends where it hadn’t been planned in advance. No ringing someone up on a Friday or Saturday night and organising something on the spot here.
    The sense of humor is different and often I find many Aussies a bit too serious.
    Having said that there is benefits to having both types of friends and when you don’t plan anything you can often end up doing the same thing all the time.

But yea I do think Irish people are more fun on a night out then Australian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Like others I met great Aussies when travelling, living and working round the globe, but when I got to live in Oz I was hugely disappointed in the people there. I think I can count on one hand the amount of Australians I genuinely liked after being there a year.

I loved Americans, Canadians and even them aul Brits after living in those places, and Im enjoying the Kiwis right now, but Australians really ruined Australia for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

jank wrote: »
    STIG83 wrote: »

Hope you took a dump on him while he was asleep.

I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Ive met an awful lot of Australians who are really nice people.

But
    So many of the guys have this idiotic and extremely annoying macho thing going on. I can belch louder then you, talk/shout louder, arm wrestle better etc etc. Whats that about? It can be like hanging out with a bunch of five year olds.

So many of the women have been treated badly that i came accross a much higher percentage of women with serious issues. They'd latch on to you fairly quickly because lets face it your not chating her up by belching the alphabet before after a few weeks / months revealing some extreme insecurities and personality disorders.

Again have met loads of sound ones but there is an unusual high proportion of people I dont like spending time with.

Advertisement