Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dickiest moves in gaming history !

Options
  • 06-12-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

I don't play any MMORPGs, but found these fascinating and a great read, great way to waste 10 mins :)

Biggest dick moves in gaming history
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-biggest-dick-moves-in-history-online-gaming/

Most elaborate dick moves in gaming history
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-most-elaborate-dick-moves-in-online-gaming-history/

E.g No.7
    EVE Online's universe consists of 350,000 active subscribers piloting customizable space craft around 7,500 solar systems. Putting that many people in space with lasers might sound like an open horizon to awesome, but the players who hang out there created a fully functional free market economy that ends up feeling more like space accountancy. The ad may look like this ...... but it doesn't tell you that you have to pay for those lasers. To do that, a lot of game play involves your screen looking more like this ...

As with the real-world economy, making a profit in the world of EVE Online is easier if you form corporations. While many spend years working together for mutual gain, others behave a lot like corporations do in the real world. Or at least how they would if they operated in a universe where murder is legal.

For instance, the Guiding Hand Social Club assassinates people for profit and steals their stuff for bonuses. In one instance, they were hired to destroy "Mirial," the CEO of Ubiqua Seraph corporation. While many EVE Online players literally grind rocks for hours to make a profit, the GHSC use the assignment to show everyone what Ocean's Eleven would have been like if it took place in the Star Wars universe. No one has had so much more fun than everyone else playing a game since Michael Jackson suggested Junior Twister.

First, they got jobs with the target corporation and worked their way up the ranks. The primary assassin became second in command of the entire firm because the background checks for imaginary space pilots aren't very good.

Then, after a year of real-time play, they struck harder than Keyser Soze in that one flashback scene where he's played by Fabio. They killed Mirial, emptied the corp's accounts and hangars, stole everything that wasn't bolted down and blew up everything that was, then killed Mirial again because EVE is specifically programmed to let you kill people twice. The first time gives you all the XP and valuable wreckage, but allows the murdered player to escape in a pod. The second does nothing but shout, "Screw You!" with murder (which is admittedly the best way to do that).

Mirial was in a Navy Apocalypse at the time, which is basically EVE Online's equivalent of the Death Star.

And really, anyone who manages to get killed in one of those deserves it at least twice.

They scooped up the virtually vacuum-frozen corpse for delivery to a client who had paid the equivalent of 500 real dollars for the hit. Which pales next to the $16,500 (again, real-world money) worth of items destroyed or stolen in the raid. Also, holy ****, people are paying to assassinate hated video game characters now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Eve has had way bigger heists and scams in recent times, think the last one was equivalent to 50000 dollars

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's had bigger scams, but i still think the Guiding Hand one is the best to read about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

That's just one example I picked from the thread, they don't all refer to Eve. It's WoW, Everquest, Ultima Online etc

And for someone foreign to the genre like myself, they are highly enjoyable to read :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That Runescape one was brilliant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i honestly saying you "thank you" for this read.

i honestly LOLed alot at all this!

when i read the last one, i just bursted in loughter and wanted to shake that mans hand.

just to ask: can you change EVE currency in to real money? Or you can just buy EVE credits for real money, and they used dollars as to show how much he stole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Everything I hear about Eve makes me want to play it more but I know that path leads to annihilation of any social life I may have left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

just to ask: can you change EVE currency in to real money? Or you can just buy EVE credits for real money, and they used dollars as to show how much he stole?

If i remember right, you can trade game time for in game currency.

Fansy the famous bard sounds like a hero :P ...but that Angwer fella is also class hahah :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Don't play MMOs, but that was a great read.

The ingenuity of people in closed systems always amazes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

that was the only one that i knew about, but i do agree, this one was not funny. that was a dick move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

If i remember right, you can trade game time for in game currency.

yep, you can use isk to buy timecards, which you can then sell on for RL money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

that was the only one that i knew about, but i do agree, this one was not funny. that was a dick move.

It's not funny but I appreciate that they did whatever was possible within the game's world. I probably would have been with them if I didn't know anyone associated with the person who died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Huh, I know that writer's sister. Her Mariokart skills have caused me to develop an irrational hatred for King Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

How to not get killed once you invent a game, keep invincibility on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I had a lot of fun reading the angwe wow entry. That guy should play eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Isnt an Apoc just a battleship ?

hardly a death star

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

That Runescape one was brilliant :pac:

I was there when it happened. I didn't find it brillaint :(

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

The Runescape clan world can do much worse than what has been detailed here, I've seen people being forced to quit the game after their IRL information was released and used against them, things like adding his sister on facebook making memes from his family photos/harrassing them all on the internet, ddosing his internet anytime he logged on and calling in death threats to his grandmother/family and forcing his family to change their phone number.

joshrogan wrote: »
    The Runescape clan world can do much worse than what has been detailed here, I've seen people being forced to quit the game after their IRL information was released and used against them, things like adding his sister on facebook making memes from his family photos/harrassing them all on the internet, ddosing his internet anytime he logged on and calling in death threats to his grandmother/family and forcing his family to change their phone number.

Yeah that's more to do with RL really and happens outside of the game environment.
    The same could be done to most people online, and also you could probably bring criminal proceedings against the people for some of the things listed above

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well back when I was playing EQ a guy got hold of a two game accounts in a top guild; he went in and cleaned out the accounts and stupidly decided to post on the board bragging about it. Sadly the "hacker" was not as clever as he thought and one of the IT guys could backtrack his details to find out his RL name, address, phone number, photos and even some medical prescriptions (which were all promptly posted).

The guy got calls to the phone (living home) that his mother answered. from different individuals of the board telling him what they wanted to do with him. Now if it had stayed on the server board it would not been a problem but it went viral as cross posting references sprouted up and in less then a week over 600 different boards (on pretty much every topic under the sun) had cross posted the main thread with people logging in to laugh, tease and comment and add yet more phone calls looking to humiliate the guy. The number was shut down in less then a week after that and the details removed with a request to stop calling the guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,624 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jeez, I forgot about that WoW video; it neatly reminded me sometimes gamers en masse can lack any kind of class & act like real douchebags.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    Jeez, I forgot about that WoW video; it neatly reminded me sometimes gamers en masse can lack any kind of class & act like real douchebags.

I found it particularly classless not only that they interrupted a virtual funeral- I don't know how I feel about that- but the fact remains, the people involved were trying to makea momento for the dead girls' family. Ruining that was an ultimate dick move.

The removal of real interaction with people, and seeing them as just avatars...being able to sit behind your PC free on consequence......removes the moral compass for a lot of people.
    The anonymity the internet provides can bring out the worst in people really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

e418d173-bdf2-4ca6-a457-5d638dadacd9.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Internets: Srs Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Avatars dying everywhere! The horror :(

Advertisement