Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resolution of important issue

Options
  • 06-12-2011 12:46pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,
    There is a thread here in the Help Desk forum regarding the issue of causing insult to fishery officers by using the word 'bailiff'.
    Rather than bring up the matter in this forum again, it would be helpful to see contributions from all interested parties.
    Regards,
    Slowburner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Jaysus you've too much time on yer hands :rolleyes:

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Am i the only one getting very tired of this or am i missing something and there really is an "important issue" here?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

as jim royle would say "important issue my a**" :D move on!!!!!! its boring now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

think it was resolved already here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056459906

post #14 in particular

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Am i the only one getting very tired of this or am i missing something and there really is an "important issue" here?
    Yes, you are missing something. It is an important issue when a forum mod gives an undertaking but does not honour it.
    See here -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75611035&postcount=14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

slowburner wrote: »
    Yes, you are missing something. It is an important issue when a forum mod gives an undertaking but does not honour it.
    See here -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75611035&postcount=14

Maybe I should remind you that I am no longer a forum mod & it is therefore not my place to comment on forum rules.

I have deliberately not entered into either this thread or the previous closed one as we obviously have a difference of opinion, however I find your public comment both personal and offensive.

Comments directed at another user are in breach of boards rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

What a non issue, if anybody thinks that this nonsense is an important priority well then no wonder the country is in the state it is.........
    Much better off if the energy is spent discussing something worth while such as REAL issues.
    Poaching.
    Pollution.
    Water abstraction.
    Fish kills.
    Global warming.
    Angler greed.
    Fish Farms.
    Degeneration of spawning facilities.
    Anti social behavior.
    Littering etc etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Andip wrote: »
    Maybe I should remind you that I am no longer a forum mod & it is therefore not my place to comment on forum rules.

I have deliberately not entered into either this thread or the previous closed one as we obviously have a difference of opinion, however I find your public comment both personal and offensive.

Comments directed at another user are in breach of boards rules.
    At no time have I intended anything to be personally directed at you. If this is the impression given, I apologise.
    I most certainly do not intend personal insult - indeed, avoiding insult is what this is all about.
    You just happened to be the mod who took on responsibility for a response to my request and stated that you would post an agreement.
    All it takes is a simple agreement that posters do not insult fishery officers by calling them bailiffs.

Honest to goodness, what on earth is the problem with that? :confused:

What a non issue, if anybody thinks that this nonsense is an important priority well then no wonder the country is in the state it is.........
    Much better off if the energy is spent discussing something worth while such as REAL issues.
    Poaching.
    Pollution.
    Water abstraction.
    Fish kills.
    Global warming.
    Angler greed.
    Fish Farms.
    Degeneration of spawning facilities.
    Anti social behavior.
    Littering etc etc
    I agree that all the matters you mention are important but calling fishery officers bailiffs, is anti-social behaviour.

I agree that all the matters you mention are important but calling fishery officers bailiffs, is anti-social behaviour.

I'd hate you to live in my estate so if you consider this Anti social behaviour.

Look, I'm a Highly Qualified Computer Analyst but Because I now work for the Government I'm meerly a plain old Civil Servant, I don't give a shít once I'm paid every week, so why make a big deal of it.

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

uch wrote: »
    I'd hate you to live in my estate so if you consider this Anti social behaviour.

Look, I'm a Highly Qualified Computer Analyst but Because I now work for the Government I'm meerly a plain old Civil Servant, I don't give a shít once I'm paid every week, so why make a big deal of it.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but are you saying you find the term civil servant belittling?

Anyways I think if anyone who understands the trouble Fisheries had in the past and why the term "water bailiff" was specifically changed in irish Fisheries legislation you would have some understanding why it's wrong to call a fisheries officer a bailiff.

I don't think everyone who calls a fishery officer a bailiff any harm, but in my experience 90% of those who do call them bailiffs are usually persistant offenders of fishery law and have an axe to grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

My god, as someone who is looking to return to angling after 10 years away i tought I'd have a look at the Angling Forum, and the first ative thread is this drivel! If all the OP has to worry about is being called a Baliff then he is in a very nice position, hopefully the rest of the forum is not as full of self important people

And in answer to effluent, yes Civil Servant, and Public Servant are both used as terms of abuse nowadays, a result of a very effective campaign by the last government to demonise us, I speak as a 25 year member of the Public Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

SIRREX wrote: »
    My god, as someone who is looking to return to angling after 10 years away i tought I'd have a look at the Angling Forum, and the first ative thread is this drivel!

dont worry about it. in the real world on the river bank, on the island at lunch time, at the club agm etc this sort of crap is never discussed by real anglers, just loose internet claptrap, it means nothing. get back into fishing and the golden rule in angling is dont believe all you hear or read.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

SIRREX wrote: »
    My god, as someone who is looking to return to angling after 10 years away i tought I'd have a look at the Angling Forum, and the first ative thread is this drivel!

Ah jaysus, dont base your opinion of the forum on this thread. :)

Its the off season anyway - the lack of action is getting everyone up in a tizzy!

effluent wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but are you saying you find the term civil servant belittling?

Anyways I think if anyone who understands the trouble Fisheries had in the past and why the term "water bailiff" was specifically changed in irish Fisheries legislation you would have some understanding why it's wrong to call a fisheries officer a bailiff.

I don't think everyone who calls a fishery officer a bailiff any harm, but in my experience 90% of those who do call them bailiffs are usually persistant offenders of fishery law and have an axe to grind.

No you are reading it completely wrong, as I said, I don't give a shít what I'm called once I'm paid.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

It's a discussion forum on all angling related matters. If it matters to the OP it's open for discussion.
    I don't see why its an issue to be honest, there is no compulsion on anyone to either read or respond to a thread unless they want to.

On the subject of Fishery Officers/Bailiffs. The correct term is Fishery Officer. That's the term I use. I know many anglers use the term Bailiff without one whit of offence meant. I know others that think it's somehow having a snide dig at Fishery Officers.
    Personally it's not something that bothers me one way or another. Give respect get respect and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

RANT
    Jesus wept, this is exactly the type of thing that stops me contributing to forums more. You don't like fisheries officers being called bailiffs, and you now want stickies and forum charter changes to "ban it".
    I get called plenty of things I don't like, but I'm not demanding a full page add in the Irish Times outlawing it. Being an adult, I have learned to ignore it and concentrate on bigger things.

If you don't like it, ignore the post or add the poster to your ignore list.

/RANT

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Might I suggest that the vast majority of users on these forums would not be aware of any negative connotations around the term "bailiff". I have read over the help desk thread above, and while I can now see that it may have negative connotations and can understand why fisheries officers may consider it abusive, I suspect that for the most part the only people who would be aware of this are fisheries officers themselves and the scumbag poachers who would be abusing them.

With that in mind might I suggest that an easy solution to the issue could be that whenever the term pops up simply post a polite and friendly reminder, perhaps linking to a post explaining the reasoning. If people still want to be deliberately offensive after that, then f*ck them, they're not worth worrying about.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Might I suggest that the vast majority of users on these forums would not be aware of any negative connotations around the term "bailiff". I have read over the help desk thread above, and while I can now see that it may have negative connotations and can understand why fisheries officers may consider it abusive, I suspect that for the most part the only people who would be aware of this are fisheries officers themselves and the scumbag poachers who would be abusing them.

With that in mind might I suggest that an easy solution to the issue could be that whenever the term pops up simply post a polite and friendly reminder, perhaps linking to a post explaining the reasoning. If people still want to be deliberately offensive after that, then f*ck them, they're not worth worrying about.
    Many thanks for the rational contribution, taking the time to read the thread and the effort to achieve a badly needed solution.
    I appreciate it.

However, it is the mods' job to remind people whenever abuse pops up - last time I tried to inform someone, the post was deleted and I was accused of flaming.

Go figure.

However, it is the mods' job to remind people whenever abuse pops up - last time I tried to inform someone, the post was deleted and I was accused of flaming.

Go figure.

Correct but referring to a fisheries officer a bailiff is in no way, shape or form abuse and I'm sorry you feel this way.
    If someone referes to a fisheries officer as a bailiff by all means post a link to this thread or send a wee PM letting them know it upsets/offends you but that will be up to the individual and also up to the individual not to drag the thread off topic by going off on a tirant explaining the differences.
    There will be no new sticky or amendment to the charter. If you are unhappy with that I suggest you continue your campaign in the help desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Great! can we put this thread out of it's misery......
    Please.....

Go figure.

Correct but referring to a fisheries officer a bailiff is in no way, shape or form abuse and I'm sorry you feel this way.
    If someone referes to a fisheries officer as a bailiff by all means post a link to this thread or send a wee PM letting them know it upsets/offends you but that will be up to the individual and also up to the individual not to drag the thread off topic by going off on a tirant explaining the differences.
    There will be no new sticky or amendment to the charter. If you are unhappy with that I suggest you continue your campaign in the help desk.

fisherking wrote: »
    Great! can we put this thread out of it's misery......
    Please.....

It's in bed, just need to tuck it in:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Easy for you to say, I take it you're not a fishery officer and you've never had the "f***ing bailiff" throwaway insult while out on patrol, on your own, confronting people involved in illegal fishing. If you were a fishery officer you would know that for many it certainly is a term of abuse and is meant that way. Its a simple solution to ban the use of the word on this forum, that way there can be no ambiguity about the meaning when someone posts about "bailiffs".

I didn't post in this thread until now as I had hoped reason would prevail and a very simple solution, as suggested by slowburner, would be acceptable. I expected the negative attitude from some posters, but I'm pretty disappointed by the mod's attitude to this.

BTW I post in a personal capacity and in no way represent my employer here, but I am a fishery officer and have been called a "f***ing bailiff" in the past. But I'm sure they were just being friendly, and it was "in no way, shape or form abuse". :rolleyes:

Zzippy wrote: »
    Easy for you to say, I take it you're not a fishery officer and you've never had the "fucking bailiff" throwaway insult while out on patrol, on your own, confronting people involved in illegal fishing. If you were a fishery officer you would know that for many it certainly is a term of abuse and is meant that way. Its a simple solution to ban the use of the word on this forum, that way there can be no ambiguity about the meaning when someone posts about "bailiffs".

I didn't post in this thread until now as I had hoped reason would prevail and a very simple solution, as suggested by slowburner, would be acceptable. I expected the negative attitude from some posters, but I'm pretty disappointed by the mod's attitude to this.

BTW I post in a personal capacity and in no way represent my employer here, but I am a fishery officer and have been called a "fucking bailiff" in the past. But I'm sure they were just being friendly, and it was "in no way, shape or form abuse". :rolleyes:

No I'm not a fisheries officer but because I'm a mod on this forum means I have to smile and agree??
    The type of people who see you coming and say f****ng bailiff are exatly the type of people you are there to keep from illegal fishing, no angler with valid Permits/licences would refere to you or your fellow fisheries officers as a f***ing bailiff but rather welcome your presence and if an angler with all relevant documents calls you a bailiff (not a f***ing bailiff) and that dents your ego I'm sure it's not ment in any malice or disrespectful manner.
    Coming on an Internet forum for a rant about proper titles when there are far bigger "issues" to worry about is doing nothing for the popularity of other fisheries officers.

A simple effort to prevent fisheries officers from being publicly insulted on this forum, does not in any way, shape or form, detract from the "bigger issues".
    Perhaps the posters who have said this, would be better off starting threads on these bigger issues rather than complaining about this one.

I have absolutely no doubt that there are many experienced and educated readers who have been put off contributing to this forum because of how fisheries officers are allowed to be referred to here.
    To be honest, no right thinking person would be bothered to engage with people who don't know the difference between a fisheries officer and a bailiff

I avoided this forum myself for two years, for just these reasons.

@Bitemybanger

Nothing in reason or common sense gives you the right to make this sweeping and blatantly inaccurate statement;
    "referring to a fisheries officer a bailiff is in no way, shape or form abuse"
    Do you speak for every person who uses the word bailiff wrongly?
    You most certainly do not speak for fisheries officers.

I can guarantee you this, not one single solitary member of the fisheries protection service wants to be, or will tolerate being called a bailiff.

And just to bring you up to date, the word bailiff was written out of Fisheries legislation 72 years ago - for very definite reasons. Some of these reasons are mentioned in the help desk thread.

Closing this thread here. Continued in help desk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement