Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PC] BF3 - Jet Discussions

Options
  • 06-12-2011 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I've finally managed to get decent enough at using the jets using the mouse / keyboard combo. I can generally get behind other jets and shoot them down with the cannon, as well as taking out choppers with abandon and even the odd ground vehicle.

The one place I still have trouble is shaking a tail once I pick one up. If there's a jet behind me with even a half decent pilot, I find it very difficult to lose him (although sometimes flying towards the sun can work). I generally end up flying back to the battlefield and bailing out over an enemy point to try for a capture before he has even done any significant damage, as I know I am doomed.

So, this thread is for all the jet lovers to share their tips, and all the jet noobs to ask their burning questions. I'll start:

Tip: Don't bother with heat seekers. Almost all jets are carrying flares and locking on to them will just let them know you're on their tail. It's better to carefully get in position, wait for them to obliviously start flying in a straight line for a moment, and unload a salvo from the cannon.

Question: How the hell do I get them pesky buggers off my tail!? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

A good wingman is usually required as if the enemy have 2 decent pilots you're screwed.
    If you can be on comms with a friend who is also a pilot you can dominate the sky

Bank and roll hard I find, obvioulsy decrease throttle while turning and use Yaw to turn quicker...but don't overdo it..then you can tap the Afterburner to speed the turn when you've hit a slow speed.

Also, if you can try memorise where the AA on your team is and fly low and hard in it's direction they can help you :)

Air-Radar is a must if you're gonna be dogfighting. I usually equip Air-Radar + Rocket Pods for tanks etc..

My joystick likes to act up now and again though...and sometimes won't pull up, also slides off my mousemat...often has me crashing into a mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Thanks! I'm pretty much always flying solo as my buddies are useless in the air. I usually try to watch out for whoever is in the second jet and clear their tail for them. The problem there is, the other enemy jet tends to end up behind me and then there are four of us in a sort of jet train! :eek:

My next unlock is air radar, which is due in only a couple more kills, so hopefully that will help out a little.

As for the joystick, I used to use one in BF2 but had the exact same problem with it sliding out of my lap / off the table. That's why I went for mouse / keyboard this time around. Takes a bit of getting used to, particularly in a hard bank, but its working well enough at this stage.

Flying towards the friendly mobile AA is a good idea, I should remember to keep tabs on it in future. I often try to fly over the base AA gun but most of the time there is nobody in it.

Advertisement