Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flyers for Legal loan sharks in local post office.

Options
  • 06-12-2011 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Was just down the local Spar/ post office, and while queuing there is the usual leaflets for 'An Post' - and just in the last few days they have put out flyers for a Legal loan shark (provident).
    I don't think that An Post should display such leaflets targeted at ppl on low incomes who might be worried about xmas etc.
    Nowhere on the leaflet does it have the APR etc, just a smiley leaflet promising 'anyone can borrow up to 500e.
    I wonder if they have to pay Spar/ an Post to display their leaflets. No other leaflets there just the usual 'an post' ones.
    It just annoys me that they are so blatant about it .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Why don't you fire in a complaint or ask for feedback from the financial regulator or the national consumer agency, I agree it sounds like sharp practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Thanks, I guess that would be the right thing to do.
    Just felt like venting about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Not sure if you're in the right forum for this particular vent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I guess you'e right :) no worries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Gaspode wrote: »
    Not sure if you're in the right forum for this particular vent!

It might actually be the (or a) right place to discuss this. D15 has plenty of poor areas and combined shops/post offices (where some social welfare benefits are paid), so it's a great area for loan sharks to operate.

OP, I'd complain to Spar first - An Post probably just rent space in the shop, so Spar are the landlords and control the property. Follow up with An Post if you don't get any satisfaction. These money lenders may not be illegal but are certainly unethical.

• Advertisement
Advertisement