Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letters being delivered to tenants that no longer reside

Options
  • 06-12-2011 1:25pm

I'm assuming that this is the right forum for the question. Apologies if it's not. We've all had this problem with rented accommodation, where a tenant moves out but post still gets delivered. Is there anything that can be done about this, as we're starting to accumulate quite the pile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2 options.

1) Tell the local post office to stop delivering them

2) B.I.N.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just write "return to sender" on the outside, scribble out the address, and throw it into the postbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I would usually make the effort to forward on for the first couple of months - longer than that and they get filed safely in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

I'm assuming that this is the right forum for the question. Apologies if it's not. We've all had this problem with rented accommodation, where a tenant moves out but post still gets delivered. Is there anything that can be done about this, as we're starting to accumulate quite the pile.

hi

the tenants that moved out had the option to get their mail redirected to their new address. It costs quite a bit for them but works. I don't think you are really expected to do anything. I normally keep stuff for a few weeks (or months), and if it looks like something important, like letters from Revenue (it has happened!), then I'd contact the landlord/agency and ask them for address / or get them alert the ex-tenant. But most previous tenants leave the place in such a state that I am not that bothered about helping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I have this problem as well with the difference being that the previous tenant was a business, some sort of financial adviser that went bust I think? For the first 4 or 5 months I would once a week write on all the letters "No longer at this address" and stick them in the postbox. Then a lot of them kept being redelivered so I gave up and I now have a sizable stack of letters sitting beside the door. Reckon I'm just going to leave them there until we move out. Don't want to be accused of dumping a letter with a cheque in it or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Then a lot of them kept being redelivered so I gave up and I now have a sizable stack of letters sitting beside the door.
    Pop down to your local post office on a Saturday ten minutes before they close, and hand them al over at once saying the person no longer lives there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

scaryfairy wrote: »
    hi

I don't think you are really expected to do anything.

It is an offence under the Post Office Act 1908 to impede the delivery of mail. All mail should be marked "gone away" and put back into the post.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am in my house for nearly 8 years and i am still getting letters for the previous tenants.

i just mark out the name and "not known here" and throw in the letter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭f9710145

I paid €75 for mail redirection, it started 2 months ago and on 3 occasions I've got a text from new owners to tell me of mail delivered to my old address, including a notice for an undelivered package to be collected at teh parcel office. Good job I only moved a mile and a half away and have accomodating new pwners.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

It is an offence under the Post Office Act 1908 to impede the delivery of mail. All mail should be marked "gone away" and put back into the post.

jeez. have to admit most (almost all) of it was junk mail and it was already an offence to deliver it. good to know - will try to comply if not obvious junk mail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've been crossing out the address and writing return to sender on them. However, I'm still getting the same letters from the same companies for previous tenants who have been gone years and am now getting to the point where I'm just going to bin everything. I think I've done all that is reasonable.

Alternatively, I'm considering advising the companies that I will be imposing an administrative charge for the service that I have been providing. It might encourage them to cease sending the letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

"No longer at this address" and into a postbox

or just **** it in the bin if it's junk rather than proper post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kellyboy77

Its free to repost the letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

Kellyboy77 wrote: »
    Its free to repost the letter.

Not anymore: http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1119/anpost-business.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Interesting, bin it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Be||e wrote: »
    :eek:

Well the PO can't screen envelopes going in to the postboxes, so I wonder what happens after that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There's no charge for writing "Not known at this address - return to sender" and putting it back in the post. The sender should then take the person off their mailing list.

There's a charge for redirecting/forwarding mail. Although, having paid the charge for redirection myself, the odd one does escape and go to the previous address. And I was very glad that the new occupiers sent them on to me. But I wasn't putting them to a major inconvenience by expecting them to redirect all my mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

As JuliusCeasar said above, you can still Return to Sender for free anyway,
    but there was an follow-up to that story the following month, with the headline "An Post admits ending free post redirection was illegal":
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1213/1224285406085.html
    However, I'm not sure what was the eventual outcome, as the article said An Post were taking legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sarn wrote: »
    I've been crossing out the address and writing return to sender on them. However, I'm still getting the same letters from the same companies for previous tenants who have been gone years and am now getting to the point where I'm just going to bin everything. I think I've done all that is reasonable.
    "Gone away - Return to sender - Cease and desist"
    f9710145 wrote: »
    I paid €75 for mail redirection, it started 2 months ago and on 3 occasions I've got a text from new owners to tell me of mail delivered to my old address, including a notice for an undelivered package to be collected at teh parcel office. Good job I only moved a mile and a half away and have accomodating new pwners.

I think deliver a box of chocolates at Christmas. :)

Advertisement