Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths Sample Paper: Probabilty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Anonymo

shaunie007 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone can do the following question for me:

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Project_Maths_Phase_2_P2_Ordinary_Level.pdf

Question 2 about the biased die: a and b if you can.

Cheers

I think most people on boards would have no problem trying to help someone out in doing a question. A lot of people here are pretty helpful in such a case. However, to ask someone to do your homework is fairly cheeky! To HELP you out I'll do a similar type of question for you... For part (a) remember expectation value is the same as the (long-term) average of running this experiment may times. So suppose you've a case where you toss a biased coin with
    prob(tails)=0.2, prob(heads)=0.8. A heads in our game will correspond to a 2, while a heads will correspond to a 1. The expected value will be
    2*0.8+1*0.2=1.8
    [Aside: A way of thinking of this is that on average 2 times out of 10 you'll get a tails (a 1) and 8 times out of 10 you get a heads (a 2). If you sum up the total of the '10 experiments' and get the average you find (2*1+8*2)/10=1.8]

Q2.(a) is similar to this.

For Q2(b) the average you'll earn with a fair die is the average number you get when you throw a die minus the 3 euro it costs to play the game.
    For the other part you take the answer to part a which tells you the average of throwing the biased die many times and then subtract a 3 e.g.
    if your answer to 2(a) was 2.50 (it's not - this is an example!) then 2.50-3.00=-0.50,i.e. you would lose 0.50 euro on average per game (again this is NOT the answer).

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭shaunie007

Anonymo wrote: »
    I think most people on boards would have no problem trying to help someone out in doing a question. A lot of people here are pretty helpful in such a case. However, to ask someone to do your homework is fairly cheeky! To HELP you out I'll do a similar type of question for you... For part (a) remember expectation value is the same as the (long-term) average of running this experiment may times. So suppose you've a case where you toss a biased coin with
    prob(tails)=0.2, prob(heads)=0.8. A heads in our game will correspond to a 2, while a heads will correspond to a 1. The expected value will be
    2*0.8+1*0.2=1.8
    [Aside: A way of thinking of this is that on average 2 times out of 10 you'll get a tails (a 1) and 8 times out of 10 you get a heads (a 2). If you sum up the total of the '10 experiments' and get the average you find (2*1+8*2)/10=1.8]

Q2.(a) is similar to this.

For Q2(b) the average you'll earn with a fair die is the average number you get when you throw a die minus the 3 euro it costs to play the game.
    For the other part you take the answer to part a which tells you the average of throwing the biased die many times and then subtract a 3 e.g.
    if your answer to 2(a) was 2.50 (it's not - this is an example!) then 2.50-3.00=-0.50,i.e. you would lose 0.50 euro on average per game (again this is NOT the answer).

Cheers

Advertisement