Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pretty sure I failed maths, what should I do?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Almost certain I failed Engineering Maths 1. Total lack of work and ignorance on my part and there's no one but myself to blame. But what can/should I do now? I don't think I reached a "complementing fail", I'd be happy if I have. I think my other modules will bring it up.

Also, dropping/changing course isn't going to happen. I'm 100% certain on that.

Will I have to repeat the exam and if so, when?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Daniel S wrote: »
    Almost certain I failed Engineering Maths 1. Total lack of work and ignorance on my part and there's no one but myself to blame. But what can/should I do now? I don't think I reached a "complementing fail", I'd be happy if I have. I think my other modules will bring it up.

Also, dropping/changing course isn't going to happen. I'm 100% certain on that.

Will I have to repeat the exam and if so, when?

you will beable to repeat the exam in augist at a cost of 172 euro per exam . so don;t worry about it and constrate on doing better in the rest of your exams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

mayo_lad wrote: »
    you will beable to repeat the exam in augist at a cost of 172 euro per exam . so don;t worry about it and constrate on doing better in the rest of your exams
    €172!?!?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

Think I failed too Daniel :(

Think I failed too Daniel :(
    Even a complementing fail?

I'm so annoyed with myself. Couldn't even remember Newton's method formula.

Sat on my arse yesterday while I could easily have done a few Q1 as practice and gotten the 26% for a complementing fail. :mad:

Focusing on the Introduction to Engineering 1 exam is all I should be doing now. Better ace the SOAB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Wait for the results and see what you get, you may be lucky. If it's a compensating fail (D1 or D2) and your QCA is above 2.0 you can progress to 2nd year without repeating - consider it a warning :)

The only grades that must be repeated in order to progress are F or NG. In the case of NG you may not be allowed repeat the exam, and have to repeat the entire module on a link in basis the following year (NG is usually only awarded in cases where there's a complete failure to submit any assessment material for the module).

At this point there's no use worrying about it, get on with your other exams and do well in them, and see where you are when the results come out in January.

• Advertisement

Chimaera wrote: »
    Wait for the results and see what you get, you may be lucky. If it's a compensating fail (D1 or D2) and your QCA is above 2.0 you can progress to 2nd year without repeating - consider it a warning :)

The only grades that must be repeated in order to progress are F or NG. In the case of NG you may not be allowed repeat the exam, and have to repeat the entire module on a link in basis the following year (NG is usually only awarded in cases where there's a complete failure to submit any assessment material for the module).

At this point there's no use worrying about it, get on with your other exams and do well in them, and see where you are when the results come out in January.

Well, in the small chance that I somehow got 26% my QCA will definitely be over 2. I did bad in the midterm, only got 9 out of 30, but that meant I only had to get 17% in this. We'll see sure :rolleyes:

Any use asking the lecturer for 26%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭DesQ2

Don't worry about it, I made a complete mess of the Eng Maths 1 paper in first yr and I still managed a C1, The curve will bring you up. I've always been pleasently surprised with my results they mark them a lot easier than you think and the curve does the rest! now get off Boards and back to study! :) best of luck with the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Daniel S wrote: »
    Any use asking the lecturer for 26%?

External examiners :/

Nockz wrote: »
    External examiners :/

Ah shíte.
    DesQ2 wrote: »
    Don't worry about it, I made a complete mess of the Eng Maths 1 paper in first yr and I still managed a C1, The curve will bring you up. I've always been pleasently surprised with my results they mark them a lot easier than you think and the curve does the rest! now get off Boards and back to study! :) best of luck with the rest!

Well, I'd regard this as worse than "a mess". I made a mess of my LC and got a D3. That's a mess. This is... :(.

All I want now is to see 26% on a piece of paper (that refers to the maths result ofc :pac:).

I do hope your right though, I gave everything a go and hopefully I'll get some attempt marks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement