Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographing in a public place issue

• 06-12-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

I know that this has been discussed numerous times before at some length, but can someone please just clarify that it is legally permitted to photograph and video children in a public place and where online I could locate a document that clarifies this?
    thanks and sorry about bringing up a question that has been addressed before

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Are you talking about your own children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Just hide you camera in a bag and use a remote shutter trigger. Avoids any problems when photographing kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

All the other (many!) threads that have detailed out what can and can't be photographed in public apply equally to children as well as adults. There are no separate provisions for children with the exception of local by-laws in certain Children's playgrounds etc.

However in practise you may encounter many more difficulties, from both guardians and gardai, without breaking any law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I could locate a document that clarifies this?

This is always the nub. If you go through old threads you'll find the digital rights ireland stuff, and someone previously posted some helpful references to individual statutes.

But, it is thin on the ground and lots of the advice will be down to the 'understanding' without an actual legal opinion being expressed. Also there is scant legal case history that can be pointed to so it is almost always going to be 'grey' in its interpretation.

With that said, my understanding is that there is nothing to prevent you in a public place, where its not expressly prohibited (through by-laws), to photograph or video a person, minor or otherwise. There certainly are, in my understanding of it, limitations as to what you can subsequently do with the said images so for example, don't intend selling them to a global organisation for an advertising campaign as you'll most certainly find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

Even if the above were a true reflection, that doesn't mean that you wouldn't end up with some 20 stone gorilla sitting on top of you thumping your brains out for 'daring' to take a photograph which had their lovely in it either intentionally or unintentional.

As a parent I can understand the fears that the world brings with it albeit I recognise the irrational nature of such fears. As a photographer I can understand the desire to create images from a decisive moment. IMHO, There is not a happy medium between the two where the photographer is not known to the guardian of the minor. If the photographer seeks permission (aka, makes their intentions known to the guardian) then perhaps common ground can be found. As a society, we are being more and more driven to our rights or perceived rights which may or may not include the right to be photographed in a public place. Perception can become reality.

Think of the 20 stone gorilla that may be sitting on you thumping out your brains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Effects wrote: »
    Just hide you camera in a bag and use a remote shutter trigger. Avoids any problems when photographing kids.

That sounds just a little creepy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You won't find laws that make things legal, only laws and bylaws that make things illegal.

There is no law forbidding photographing people in a public space, aside from some local parks which have bylaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

thank you one and all...
    note to mods: this thread can now be closed as it has been exhaustedly discussed elsewhere and i just needed a quick clarification, which I have recieved and I dont want this to develope into a debate that has been discussed before.
    thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement