Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro crumble, money safe in Irish banks?

• 06-12-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hello,
    I have a colleague who has > 100k in Bank Of Ireland, if the Euro fails what will happen to the monies over the 100k covered amount by the bank?

Should he leave it and see what happens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭rameire

nothing will happen.
    his money is safe

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

Excuse the pun, but can he bank on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭rameire

nope

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

There is a big possibility it will lose value at best if we revert back to our own currency. The logical step after going back to our currency would be to devalue it.

Personally I wouldnt leave such a big deposit in an Irish bank under current circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Would Rabbo bank be any safer given that it's Dutch? and they are likely to remain in the 'German Block',whatever happens. Does anyone know if accounts can be opened in German banks from Ireland?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Freiheit wrote: »
    Would Rabbo bank be any safer given that it's Dutch?
    There were many posts about this on askaboutmoney, and replies from Rabbo. I think the Irish governemnt could somehow force you to convert rabbo money into "punt nua" (if they wanted). There were other ways to secure it as euros or higher value currency which may not devalue as much, like buying german government bonds. Another was buying international blue chip stocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Enoughisenoug

david4791 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have a colleague who has > 100k in Bank Of Ireland, if the Euro fails what will happen to the monies over the 100k covered amount by the bank?

Should he leave it and see what happens

Get ur money out of euro, into a uk or American bank. The euro will collapse . People should stop paying there mtg and save money in uk/ American bank. Enough is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

rubadub wrote: »
    There were many posts about this on askaboutmoney, and replies from Rabbo. I think the Irish governemnt could somehow force you to convert rabbo money into "punt nua" (if they wanted). There were other ways to secure it as euros or higher value currency which may not devalue as much, like buying german government bonds. Another was buying international blue chip stocks.

Any money in Rabbobank Ireland would simply be converted to the punt/2nd tier Euro, while the bank is Dutch, its still an Irish account.

Obviously if you open a Dutch account that would be a different story.

Nothing is likely to happen anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Enoughisenoug

rubadub wrote: »

Any money in Rabbobank Ireland would simply be converted to the punt/2nd tier Euro, while the bank is Dutch, its still an Irish account.

Obviously if you open a Dutch account that would be a different story.

Nothing is likely to happen anyway.

They can't touch it if u open the account in England! People need to save money as the country will collapse and more than likely the euro

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bangra bangra

They can't touch it if u open the account in England! People need to save money as the country will collapse and more than likely the euro

If you have an account with bank of Ireland in the uk, would the euro you transfer from your irish account be safe or do you mean an English bank? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Pointless, scaremongering thread which (barely) fits the forum's remit. I think we'll let it die, because it's been done to death many times already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement