Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Mods infract or Ban other Mods from their Forums

Options
  • 06-12-2011 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

and do they ever get site banned
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

i've seen a mod get banned from a forum. don't think it was a permaban. but yeah it does happen. dunno about the site bans really, but sure why not

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Yup, it happened to be when I was modding, and I doled out a few too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Owen wrote: »
    Yup, it happened to be when I was modding, and I doled out a few too.

Does it be taken personal between the Mods

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Last time I was a mod on a forum 53 people died.

Ban for 3 days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

WIZE wrote: »

It does be, so it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Omerta!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From After Hours.

And yes, forum mods ban other non-forum mods all the time. There is nothing "untouchable" about other mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

biko wrote: »
    here is nothing "untouchable" about other mods.
    *drops the hand on Biko

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

and do they ever get site banned

Yes is the answer to both questions.

Why are you asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hi,

I've been yellow and red carded in the Soccer Forum, and banned from it too.

I knew most of the Soccer Forum Mods at the time, some of them played for the team, some of them were just lads I've enjoyed pints with on occasion and would consider them mates away from Boards.ie

When they infracted/banned me it was because I'd broken the charter, and deserved to be pulled up on it. No hard feelings, in fact, I made a point of not bringing it up when we'd be away from Boards itself.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've been banned from Politics before. Ok I had to promise not to post there for a week but they were right and I took it as fair enough.... :)

I've been scolded a few times (you cant ban or infract admins ... the cheeky buggers would ban us from all their forums for a laugh)... but I've been pulled up a few times by the AH and Pol mods.

Any of those mods who have will tell you that I never expect different treatment as a poster and I *expect* them to do what they would do. I hope I dont have to make it clear that if thats how it is for me, by my choice, thats how it is for everyone.

Mods dont take it personally, they understand the role. Some have a fit of course but we dont take to that very well and more than one mod has been demodded because they threw the toys out after getting a slap. Too bad imho, but no playing favourites.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

If I was ever granted mod powers to a forum, I'd compile a list of all the mods of all the other fora. I'd also create a points system and associate each mod with a score. I haven't worked out the finer technical details yet but Cmods and Admins would have a higher score than mere mods. AH mods would have a higher score than mustard mods. Mods who look after more than one forum would also have a higher score. You get the idea.

Then I would study my charter, maybe make some modifications which would make it easier for me to ban users. Maybe add a clause about usage of the word "the" being a bannable offence or something equally sinister. I'd then go on a campaign of banning all the mods on the list. I'd award myself satisfaction points based on the score of the mod that I manned. I haven't worked out the finer technical details of that scoring system yet either but I'd like to use a logarithmic scale for some reason.

Slowly but surely, one by one, I'd ban every mod on boards, cackling maniacally as I do so. Some mods would probably make it a bit challenging too. Banning Wibbs for example might be tricky but that would be part of the fun. A little like a noble hunter in the Savanna, with nothing but a gun, a jeep and some guides stalking a terrifyingly vicious zebra. Man versus beast, hunter versus hunted. The oldest form of conflict.

It would be so much more fun than just banning the regular peon class of user. Any mod can ban a regular user as easily as they would swat a fly. It's just not that much fun. Banning a mod on the other hand would be a source of pride. Later in life, I'd be able to look up at my wall and see the all the mod scalps that I'd have collected. If there's an empty spot with "Wibbs" written under it, I'll be slightly disappointed but I'm confident that that won't be the case.

I suppose that what I'm trying to say here, in a very long-winded way, is that there's no reason for a mod not to ban another mod. In fact, I'd say that there is more satisfaction to be gained in banning another mod than in banning a regular user. I don't think it's anything personal, it's just that mods are better than the rest of us and banning them is more rewarding. It's like difference between winning a fist-fight against a 5-year-old and winning against a well-matched adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I get a special kick out of banning mods.

Sarky wrote: »
    I get a special kick out of banning mods.

Me too.
    /Stares intently at Sarky.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Why is this Feedback & how is this going to change/improve your/everybody's use of this site?

It has been said again & again (& people obviously don't listen/understand/believe), but Mods are normal users outside of the fora that they moderate.

Yes, I have banned & infracted other moderators & I have been banned myself (I don't think I have any infractions).

Do you need every single mod to come here & post a similar statement before you & countless others believe that this is the case?

Yours exasperatedly,

tHB

* gets coat & goes back to the pub *

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Yes is the answer to both questions.

Why are you asking?

I ask because I was looking in a thread where a Mod many a Smart Comment using a PIC and the OP said it ( your post is of no help whatsoever ) and got infracted for back seat modding but the Mod who Infracted the OP thanked the MOD with the Smart Comment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've not banned a CMod yet.

/Eyeballs Beruthiel

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Good luck with that OG.
    In fact, go try it and see what happens. :p
    I ask because I was looking in a thread where a Mod many a Smart Comment using a PIC and the OP said it ( your post is of no help whatsoever ) and got infracted for back seat modding but the Mod who Infracted the OP thanked the MOD with the Smart Comment

A link would be handy?

Also, feel free to report any post you think breaks the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

For breach of O&O forum charter, specifically for using the 'forbidden words' (contained in your signature) you are banned from O&O for a period of 1 day.

'Click'
    Error: Trying to ban an admin/smod results in bad things happening to you!
    :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Good luck with that OG.
    In fact, go try it and see what happens. :p

A link would be handy?

Also, feel free to report any post you think breaks the charter.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056470568

sorry it wasn't the op infracted

post 14 , post 17

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Post #14: Irreverent, but relevant to the topic. Grey-ish area, if you want to bring tone/spirit of the forum into it.
    Post #17: Irrelevant, off-topic, back-seat modding. Clear-cut really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

OldGoat wrote: »
    For breach of O&O forum charter, specifically for using the 'forbidden words' (contained in your signature) you are banned from O&O for a period of 1 day.

'Click'

:(

You can try and ban me if you like, might have more luck

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In fact, I'd say that there is more satisfaction to be gained in banning another mod than in banning a regular user.

Actually there's rarely any satisfaction to be gained from banning a regular user, unless they're a complete numpty and have had it coming for a while. contrary to popular opinion, we don't like banning people, however it is a necessary evil because sometimes an infraction just won't cut it. There's even less satisfaction to be gained from banning a mod because they should know better and abide by the charter in the same way that they'd want people to abide by the charter of the forum they mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

three bans from AH.

totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mods regularly get banned.

It took 12 bans and 13 warning for one to get demodded but I'm still awaiting an answer as to why that took so long.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

K-9 wrote: »
    Mods regularly get banned.

It took 12 bans and 13 warning for one to get demodded but I'm still awaiting an answer as to why that took so long.

There is no answer. There is no set number that triggers a de-modding, and unless someone specifically comes, or is brought to our attention we may be unaware of how many infractions or bans they have for some time. This is no different to the situation regarding a non-mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Zaph wrote: »
    There is no answer. There is no set number that triggers a de-modding, and unless someone specifically comes, or is brought to our attention we may be unaware of how many infractions or bans they have for some time. This is no different to the situation regarding a non-mod.

Thanks for the answer, appreciate it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Post #14: Irreverent, but relevant to the topic. Grey-ish area, if you want to bring tone/spirit of the forum into it.
    Post #17: Irrelevant, off-topic, back-seat modding. Clear-cut really.

Infractions for 'back seat modding' have always been my pet hate. I know the reason for it, but 9 times out of 10, an infraction is not necessary, and it could be handled in a much better manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

In general I would think Mods are less likely to get banned anyway. They are more likely not to be complete numpties who start trolling or fcuking about on purpose really. Which is probably why the proportion of mods to regular users banned seems low, because in general mods won't do something to deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Is it possible to ban yourself from your own forum?

Advertisement