Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Mods infract or Ban other Mods from their Forums

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jumpy wrote: »
    Is it possible to ban yourself from your own forum?

No

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I've never been banned as a mod.

Then again I was never banned as a user. I don't find it that hard to get a point across without getting the boot. *shrugs*

The reason I'm posting here is to further put to bed the idea that mods enjoy banning.

At a purely selfish level, all bans generate "paperwork". You'll end up having a DRP thread and abuse over pm. A ban may haunt you for several days when you just want to enjoy posting like everyone else.

Secondly, sometimes you have to ban people you respect or like. You can't draw favourites. Sometimes, you have to ban someone who you think could become an excellent contributor, but they're posting in a way which is ruining other people's experience so they gots to go. That's never a happy thing.

If I hypothetically got someone who did my nut who I needed to ban I'd either be extremely rule-lawyery to make sure I'm doing the right thing or go to someone else to ask if I'm making the right choice. Again at a selfish level, an incorrect ban generates work.

I literally cannot think of one time I banned someone and thought "yess!". It's always the part of the "job" that's most like work.

Something I don't understand is why the admins can't be infracted or banned? Dev himself admitted he had done wrong.

They're in the 1%! The 99% should revolt! Lets occupy After Hours!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Because we have to have access to the forums without the mods playing silly buggers with us. This is a "feature" of vB but its a good one imho.

Believe me, the mods are the very first to point out if an admin is acting the bollox. They love to point out such things :)

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

As Des says no..... not that that has stopped one or two mods trying! One Mod (who shall remain nameless) reported a post in his own forum while two others managed to ban each other from their forum while playing silly-buggers with each other and had to come crawling to me to unban them since they couldnt do it themselves.... :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

DeVore wrote: »
    One Mod (who shall remain nameless) reported a post in his own forum

Go on, name him. You know you want to. :pac:

Selection Bias.

Ok, here is the actual reason why people think Mods dont get banned as much as regular users: People think that... because its true. Mods do not get banned as much as regular users.

"Errr, Dev, can you explain that cos you seem to be contradicting your post above"

Why certainly disembodied mystery narrator voice, how useful of you to ask.

We pick the mods from the best and most balanced people we can find who are willing to step up. We aqre obviously going to *tend* to pick people who good posters. We will certainly tend to avoid people who have had big blow ups, show problems when under stress or who have a lot of bans/infractions.

Is it any surprise that mods will *tend* to get banned less?

Thats not to say it doesnt happen that a mod might get slack someone else doesnt. Its a human system, if it works 95% of the time I'll take that as a win. :)

But the point I am making here is that there is a selection bias in the pool of Mods that is going to naturally make them less (and considerably less) likely to breach the rules and get banned.

Just something to consider.
    DeV.

ps: I'm really really glad I got to post this before Seamus did because it the sort of thing he would write and I would sit here going "FFUUUU for stealing my thoughts" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

ps: I'm really really glad I got to post this before Seamus did because it the sort of thing he would write and I would sit here going "FFUUUU for stealing my thoughts" :)

I did say something to that effect a couple of posts back....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

i'm a mod on another forum and it would be a bit taboo to infract another mod.

I'd agree with Dev's hypothesis though. Mods are less likely to troll. otherwise they wouldn't be mods.

They know the rules exactly - so unlikely to break them.

they don't want to risk their mod status - less likely to risk posts that might attract infractions.

therefore its gonna be pretty unlikely they'll be infracted or banned

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I started to read this thread without realising it was about me. I really dislike it the way people start feedback threads and not tell the subject of the thread that there is a feedback thread. :)

1. Yes, the image I posted was irreverent. However, that in itself isn't bad. Sometimes, we all need to be brought down to our real size. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75805275#post75805275 I failed insofar as (a) I was off-topic and wasn't constructive (b) there was a tiny hint of back seat modding - there is a problem with people saying one thing in a thread title and another in a the body of the post (and/or poll, if present). I would normally try to post to a higher standard, e.g. this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75880614&postcount=16 while an act of moderation, also pre-empts some comments on the matter.

2. eyesquirm was right to point out that my post was not constructive. Given that I was being irreverent, it was the least I could do. It was right that I be brought down to size. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75806030&postcount=17 I think it is unfortunate that eyesquirm received a warning. However, I suppose he was being a hypocrite, as he didn't do anything constructive either.

3. I have one warning to my name, that was accidentally applied to me instead of the offending user. This was revoked.

4. I have no infractions.

5. I have had previous, short, bans from politics (pre-date the current record system). I think they were for calling people who were grossly negligent with the truth "liars", which is against the charter. I took my punishment willingly.

6. I nearly had a ban for reporting a post from a private forum. However, before the ban could be implemented, I had edited the offending report such that the privacy of the forum wasn't materially affected. The mod declined to ban me, so I 'banned' myself from there for the week instead.

7. The Conspiracy Theories forum drives me bananas, so I asked to be banned so I wouldn't see it on the 50 most recent posts on the front page. The mod hummed and hawed. It not so much that there are mad conspiracies out there as the poor quality of the alleged conspiracies. Weeks later, I lost it with a poster who said something outrageous there, I said something out of line and was banned. When I received the ban notification, I asked if it could be made permanent, so it was. \o/

PS I've just realised I've been here 11 years and 5 days, I didn't even realise it was ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Something I don't understand is why the admins can't be infracted or banned? Dev himself admitted he had done wrong.

That's because DeV is a brat, an exception to the rule and did not have to go through the vetting process that any of the rest of us Admins had to.
    He'd never have past the first stage process. :p:p

The only people who have been selected to be Admins have been well behaved as a user since day one.
    They rarely caused trouble and displayed a calm, logical and rational thought process.
    If they weren't getting banned and infracted as a general user, then it is logical to expect that they would not be as Admins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Victor wrote: »
    I started to read this thread without realising it was about me. I really dislike it the way people start feedback threads and not tell the subject of the thread that there is a feedback thread. :)

1. Yes, the image I posted was irreverent. However, that in itself isn't bad. Sometimes, we all need to be brought down to our real size. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75805275#post75805275 I failed insofar as (a) I was off-topic and wasn't constructive (b) there was a tiny hint of back seat modding - there is a problem with people saying one thing in a thread title and another in a the body of the post (and/or poll, if present). I would normally try to post to a higher standard, e.g. this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75880614&postcount=16 while an act of moderation, also pre-empts some comments on the matter.

2. eyesquirm was right to point out that my post was not constructive. Given that I was being irreverent, it was the least I could do. It was right that I be brought down to size. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75806030&postcount=17 I think it is unfortunate that eyesquirm received a warning. However, I suppose he was being a hypocrite, as he didn't do anything constructive either.

3. I have one warning to my name, that was accidentally applied to me instead of the offending user. This was revoked.

4. I have no infractions.

5. I have had previous, short, bans from politics (pre-date the current record system). I think they were for calling people who were grossly negligent with the truth "liars", which is against the charter. I took my punishment willingly.

6. I nearly had a ban for reporting a post from a private forum. However, before the ban could be implemented, I had edited the offending report such that the privacy of the forum wasn't materially affected. The mod declined to ban me, so I 'banned' myself from there for the week instead.

7. The Conspiracy Theories forum drives me bananas, so I asked to be banned so I wouldn't see it on the 50 most recent posts on the front page. The mod hummed and hawed. It not so much that there are mad conspiracies out there as the poor quality of the alleged conspiracies. Weeks later, I lost it with a poster who said something outrageous there, I said something out of line and was banned. When I received the ban notification, I asked if it could be made permanent, so it was. \o/

PS I've just realised I've been here 11 years and 5 days, I didn't even realise it was ten years.

Hi Victor

This thread is not about you but Infracting MODS or Banning MODS in General

I just used your post as an Example

You got thanked for IMO being off topic by a MOD who Infracted the member who highlighted it to you

You did no wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Has a mod ever infracted another mod of the same forum?

flahavaj wrote: »

Not infract, but I have banned my co-mod on a forum from a sub-forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

flahavaj wrote: »

Yes.

CatDisguise.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

A mod can't 'moderate' (like infract etc..) outside their own forum, no?
    Victor wrote: »
    I nearly had a ban for reporting a post from a private forum.
    How come you can't report a post in a private forum? Private, such as R&R you mean? What do you do if you see an offending post in such a forum? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Posy wrote: »

They can, but they don't. The technical permissions are there, but rules is rules! :)

How come you can't report a post in a private forum? Private, such as R&R you mean? What do you do if you see an offending post in such a forum? :confused:

You should PM the forum moderators instead. It's just to make sure what's said in private stays private.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Just as a matter of interest, what does happen when a post is reported? I'm picturing a big red telephone ringing somewhere, like a bat-phone type premise.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just as a matter of interest, what does happen when a post is reported?

An e-mail alert is sent to the relevant forum's Mods and Cmods, and the report appears as a new thread in a private Mods' forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

When I was modding I judged every problem post by the post rather than who post it. If it warranted a ban/infraction/whatever well that's what it got. It was never anything personal, as I mentioned before I've banned my housemate, I've banned mods and I've banned friends, it was never anything personal.

Some users seem to think that mods enjoy banning users when in actual fact I always found the opposite, generally it's a case of 'ah ffs I'm going to have to ban this user now'

• Advertisement

As said, there are rules and it would only be in extreme cases that someone would mod outside their forum. I have only ever done it for spammers who are on a roll.
    How come you can't report a post in a private forum? Private, such as R&R you mean?
    You can, but is some forums, it's not the done thing, because the contents are mean to be private.
    What do you do if you see an offending post in such a forum? :confused:
    You send a PM to the mods.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    That's because DeV is a brat, an exception to the rule and did not have to go through the vetting process that any of the rest of us Admins had to.
    He'd never have past the first stage process. :p:p

The only people who have been selected to be Admins have been well behaved as a user since day one.
    They rarely caused trouble and displayed a calm, logical and rational thought process.
    If they weren't getting banned and infracted as a general user, then it is logical to expect that they would not be as Admins.
    This unfortunately, is absolutely true. I have a decidedly split personality and while I have *generally* behaved myself, I do get into trouble on Politics. What can I say, I've a weakness. :)

You should see my twitter feed.... its waaaaay more umm, "blunt". :)

DeV.

<aside> I banned two persistent muppets waaay back in the day.

That weekend I went to my traditional monthly poker game with my buddies. All of whom are smart arsed gits but only some of whom are on Boards. The dealer was one who knew I am DeV.

One of my mates pipes up:
    "Hey Tom, we found this cool site this week. You like all that internet nerd stuff, you'd love this place".

Me: "Oh yeah...whats the name of it" (already pretty sure I know what the answer is).

Them: "Boards.ie"

The dealer looks at me but I frown an eyebrow.

Me: "cool, I will have a look"

Them: "Yeah, its actually well good..... but the guy who runs its a c*nt".

Me: "Oh, really?"

Them: "He banned us, the wanker!"

Me: "yeah??"

Them: "yeah....... actually we deserved it , we were acting the cock."

They are still banned. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Gary ITR wrote: »
    When I was modding I judged every problem post by the post rather than who post it. If it warranted a ban/infraction/whatever well that's what it got. It was never anything personal, as I mentioned before I've banned my housemate, I've banned mods and I've banned friends, it was never anything personal.

Some users seem to think that mods enjoy banning users when in actual fact I always found the opposite, generally it's a case of 'ah ffs I'm going to have to ban this user now'
    So, how's the lonesome life treatin ye? ;) jus kiddin (honest)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

<aside> I banned two persistent muppets waaay back in the day.

That weekend I went to my traditional monthly poker game with my buddies. All of whom are smart arsed gits but only some of whom are on Boards. The dealer was one who knew I am DeV.

One of my mates pipes up:
    "Hey Tom, we found this cool site this week. You like all that internet nerd stuff, you'd love this place".

Me: "Oh yeah...whats the name of it" (already pretty sure I know what the answer is).

Them: "Boards.ie"

The dealer looks at me but I frown an eyebrow.

Me: "cool, I will have a look"

Them: "Yeah, its actually well good..... but the guy who runs its a c*nt".

Me: "Oh, really?"

Them: "He banned us, the wanker!"

Me: "yeah??"

Them: "yeah....... actually we deserved it , we were acting the cock."

They are still banned. :)

DeV.

fook me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Gary ITR wrote: »

Good point. You even banned me when I was new and I deserved it because I was a dick at the time..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just to expand on that - aside from the privacy thing, most private forums here are 'hosted' and are modded by hmods (hosted moderators). They don't have access to the reported posts area unless they're also an actual boards mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Good point. You even banned me when I was new and I deserved it because I was a dick at the time..

If the truth be told I did enjoy that one

Advertisement