Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German-speaking Stammtisch group

Options
  • 06-12-2011 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to establish a weekly Stammtisch for people in Cork who'd like to get together to speak German informally. The group would be open to everyone, but it would be especially great to get some native speakers to attend.
    For non-native speakers, fluency is not required - one of the ideas here is to help people to improve their skills through practice (and my own German is quite mediocre!).

Please reply if you're interested and we'll try to arrange something :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

German speaking Crackerbarrel group? I'm in! :)

Allen Ernstes, ich arbeite eine Schicht, aber ich hätte gern teilnehmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭galwayguy85

Would love to take part in this! Cork-based Irish guy with a great fondness for the Deutschesprache!

To OP, would it like an informal gathering on an evening in a pub or cafe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Would love to take part in this! Cork-based Irish guy with a great fondness for the Deutschesprache!

To OP, would it like an informal gathering on an evening in a pub or cafe?

Whatever the consensus is :) I was thinking an informal gathering in a quiet pub or cafe alright, but all suggestions are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cubeb

Count me in!
    Lived and worked in Dusseldorf for many years..... and on the lookout for a Cork Stammtisch group ever since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ainu

Im swiss, can i come??? :):) please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I'd be up for it too! :)

Wir wachsen :D

Now to decide when and where :)

Where is a quiet pub/cafe these days? That place at the top of Barracks Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

I might be interested aswell. Would do no harm with the preparation for the LC Oral anyway!!

• Advertisement

Where is a quiet pub/cafe these days? That place at the top of Barracks Street?

Which one is that? Don't really know barracks street that well, i only live here two years, didnt get that far yet :o

I'm pretty sure it's Cissie Youngs I'm talking about. So far up Barracks Street that it's actually on the Bandon Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

It's been about 10 years since I last spoke it (in der schule). Might be interested as well.

Great. It's good to have as many as possible because inevitably people won't be able to attend meet-ups all the time. I've set up a Facebook group to spread the word. Send me a PM if you want the link :)

Meeting in the Woodford, Paul Street, on Wednesday 14 December at 19:30! Hope to see some of you there.

I'll be there! I'm even gonna bring someone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

i wont be there coz im working that night but i'm defo still interested! :)

i wont be there coz im working that night but i'm defo still interested! :)

No problem, hopefully there'll be plenty of other get-togethers. I figured it will always be impossible to get one evening that suits everyone, so it's better to just pick one and run with it. We can alternate the evenings in the future.

I'm busy that night too. Hopefully catch the next one.

Great fun tonight! It was very nice meeting you all and i was also quite impressed by the german that was spoken :) See you next year for sure!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

that was really good fun, and great to practise my german.
    looking forward to the next one!

deRanged wrote: »
    that was really good fun, and great to practise my german.
    looking forward to the next one!

Ha - that was you?! I'd no idea what your user name was :D
    It was great to speak some German, and the venue was very suitable. Also fantastic to have a native speaker attend, and to hear German spoken with a mild Spanish accent ;)
    Here's to more meet-ups and a growing membership :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

Hi,
    Just saw this thread & would love to come to the next meeting! I have a degree in German but am so out of practice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cubeb

Great evening had by all on Wednesday... special thanks to Ainu for helping out with some words... highly recommend the next event already!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DeleveleD

Any plans for another one? As a native I'd love to offer my services ^^

DeleveleD wrote: »
    Any plans for another one? As a native I'd love to offer my services ^^

Certainly :-) With it being the week before Christmas, lots of pubs will be jointed and therefore not suited to a Stammtisch. We'll reconvene on 4 January.

In the meantime, PM for a link to the group's facebook page and I'll add you.

Where: The Bodega, Cornmarket Street
    When: Wednesday 4 January 19:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 788

Hi all,

I've just found this thread after months of wishing there was a German speaking group in Cork. I lived in Dusseldorf a few years ago and haven't really spoken much German since so I would love to come to the Stammtisch on Wednesday!

788 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've just found this thread after months of wishing there was a German speaking group in Cork. I lived in Dusseldorf a few years ago and haven't really spoken much German since so I would love to come to the Stammtisch on Wednesday!
    See you there so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I think Ainu and I will miss this one - too much to do.

Advertisement