Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog afraid of cars after being hit

• 06-12-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Ok so our 6 month old Airedale Terrier got hit by a car 3 weeks ago today.

Thankfully he didn't sustain any broken bones, only 2 collapsed lungs which 2 weeks rest seems to have brought back to nornal.

He is pretty much back to his old cheeky best but at the same time has certainly quietened a bit as a result of the knock. Maybe no harm that :)

The last week or so we have started to bring him out for exercise. For the most part we can bring him to quieter parks/wooded areas during the day but in the evenings this isn't possible and we have to walk him in town.

So any car that goes by he humps down and tries to run away or at least get as far from the road as he can. I am constantly giving him encouragement as cars go by and this does help him alot but some vehicles are louder than others and can startle him quite a bit.

I'm just wondering is encouragement the best way forward or is there something else I can be doing? Will he eventually get his confidence back while out walking as I hate to him him like this.

I don't want to rush him but wanted to get him out and about again.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Is there anywhere on the road walk you could just sit down on a wall with him beside you and let him watch the traffic? It could be freaking him out that he doesn't know where the cars are coming from and if one is going to get him again so if he can spend time watching them and getting used to hearing them again without feeling vunerable. Maybe have a think of your road walk route, and try and plan a few sit down areas, that way when he seems comfortable again try walking another small bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My dog had an operation last year and was exactly the same as your guy. He had the other leg done 6 weeks ago and while he wasn't as afriad he's still jumpy. His legs were surgically straightened so he basically has a broken leg pinned together and has to have walks to build the leg back up so him trying to run away is not good..
    Last year I ended up walking him very early and later in the evenings so there wouldn't be as much traffic and I clicked (with a clicker) and treated him every few steps and give him lots of praise so he was concentrating on me and his treats more than what was going on around him, if he lay down when something was coming I'd wait for it to pass then "up up up!!!" and treat him when he got up. Also I picked quieter roads when possible or we're lucky in that the busier roads in the area are quite wide and have grass along them on the inside so he can walk on that so he eventually got more comfortable with it and would just stop and look as they pass - he walks on the side furthest from the road if that makes sense - so he has me between him and the road.

This year I got him a thunder shirt and honestly the difference in him is amazing. We went from ears back, tail down and drolling to tail up and wagging. I kind of walk around with eyes in the back of my head and looking ahead all the time - he's ok with cars most of the time but buses, trucks, vans and jeeps - anything loud he doesn't like at all. When I see them coming I give him a look command and click and treat and loads of praise and when nothing is coming I still click and treat as we go along so he gets in a habit of checking in with me every few steps instead of looking around etc.
    I've been doing this 2 weeks now and a few times he's looked at me when say a bus was coming before I've asked him so it is working but it takes time and patience. You want him to realize walking is fun so don't show any frustration or scold him if he ducks for cover. Another thing I've found is that he seems to be happier taking the same route everyday - if I change it he gets a bit anxious.
    There's a booklet called The Cautious Canine by Patricia McConnell (you can download the kindle app and buy it from there) which goes through different steps on how to make the dog comfortable and get them used to whatever is frightening them which I found pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Thanks for replies

Yeah I'm taking it easy with him, trying to bring him along the quieter routes and giving him as much encouragement and praise as possible.

TMD - I hadn't thought of just sitting down and letting him watch the traffic go by but will certainly do this, thanks.

Suppose just needs time and patience.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I found a new trick the other day with my guy when he was a bit stressed. I dropped some of his treats into the grass and he happily sniffed them out in the grass and was delighted himself - this is one of his fav games - me throwing the treats and him finding them :)

Advertisement