Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap place to buy solid fuel?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi I am struggling to meet the cost of heating for our family of six. Even though my husband pays top rate tax, we are still finding hard(contrary to public belief) to meet daily cost of household expenses. we really need to get alternative heating source on top of oil boiler we hardly use.We have open fireplace in living room and small solid fuel stove in kitchen.At the moment I am getting 3 bales of briquette for 10 euro. Anybody knows cheaper price in Meath/west Dub/North kildare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Buy briquettes direct from Bord Na Mona by the Palette.

Black Diamond Direct
    Freephone: 1850 744 755

As far as I'm aware they'll even deliver to your home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

BluE-WinG wrote: »
    Buy briquettes direct from Bord Na Mona by the Palette.

Black Diamond Direct
    Freephone: 1850 744 755

As far as I'm aware they'll even deliver to your home.

Just out of curiosity,I rang them.

485 euro for a pallette of BnM briquettes.128 bales on a pallet.That works out at 3 euro 78 cents a bale.

Not exactly cheap.:(:rolleyes:

Sure I can buy a pallette (128) of the BnM briquettes for 100 euro cheaper off my local builders providers here in Dublin.That works out at 3 euro a bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A lot of places now do cheap coal for around €12 a bag,combine that with firewood and save a few quid.I've seen tonne bags of hardwood advertised for €75.
    Some places do combo deals for coal and briquets.Check out the local press for advertisements.

Try this site to compare prices,some do deals such as buy 5 bags of coal and get 1 free. http://www.homefuel.ie/suppliers.php?Area=Kildare

That cheap coal is dangerous stuff and has alot of slack in it.

Avoid it.

paddy147 wrote: »
    That cheap coal is dangerous stuff and has alot of slack in it.

Avoid it.

Some of it isn't great but I got bags of coal down my way for €13 a bag and it's perfect.Very good coal with no slack.It's sourced from a reputable coal supplier in New Ross.
    I've even seen the more expensive 'premium' stuff for €14 a bag.Best thing to do is shop around,the link I posted is handy as the prices are displayed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

2 suggestions, they may be crap

What about collecting some firewood from some local forests. The floors are full of fallen and broken wood these days after the horrible winds we had a few days ago.
    Legality and permission is your discretion, Im just suggesting an alternative!

Another, Lots of farmers who have thier own bog lands would be more than happy to sell you some turf, Its money in thier pocket, and im sure you could get it for half the price than from a supplier and both sides would win.
    Perhaps stick a few ads on websites etc. you may even have to dry your own turf!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

My bad Paddy147, I've never needed to get from them, just noticed it was an option and it was handy- I really thought itd have been cheaper to buy direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Kilmurray

theTinker wrote: »

Another, Lots of farmers who have thier own bog lands would be more than happy to sell you some turf, Its money in thier pocket, and im sure you could get it for half the price than from a supplier and both sides would win.
    Perhaps stick a few ads on websites etc. you may even have to dry your own turf!

We have done that two years ago, however, we don't have a proper storage solution for them and a lot of them got wet again(damp from ground) and eventually crumbled down.Heat output from turf is not as good as briquette either. So tuft is out for us

The best price I have seen is 2.99/bale in Athlone but it is nearly 1 1/2hr driving from us.

zerks wrote: »
    A lot of places now do cheap coal for around €12 a bag,combine that with firewood and save a few quid.I've seen tonne bags of hardwood advertised for €75.
    Some places do combo deals for coal and briquets.Check out the local press for advertisements.

Try this site to compare prices,some do deals such as buy 5 bags of coal and get 1 free. http://www.homefuel.ie/suppliers.php?Area=Kildare

Thanks for the link.It looks really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Henrib

Kilmurray wrote: »
    We have done that two years ago, however, we don't have a proper storage solution for them and a lot of them got wet again(damp from ground) and eventually crumbled down.Heat output from turf is not as good as briquette either. So tuft is out for us

The best price I have seen is 2.99/bale in Athlone but it is nearly 1 1/2hr driving from us.
    2.99/bale sounds great! Where/who in Athlone is selling at 2.99?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭siber

€3.19 for a bale of briquettes from Ganlys in Athlone

http://www.ganlys.ie/Ganlys-Winter-Insert-2011.pdf

A few pallets on the ground then some more nailed together around them to form a storage box can be put together easily,then you can cover it over with strong plastic or similar.Ideal for storing firewood as it's kept off the ground and is shielded from rain plus it won't cost anything to put together as pallets can be picked up for nothing if you ask around.

siber wrote: »
    €3.19 for a bale of briquettes from Ganlys in Athlone

http://www.ganlys.ie/Ganlys-Winter-Insert-2011.pdf

I called Ganlys yesterday.The lady said price goes down to 2.99/bale on weekend.

For any Dublin folk who live on the northside......Grange Builders Providers sell BnM for 3 euro a bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pason

make sure they are stone turf [much more heat than briquetts] dry turf should not crumble, break one and make sure they are dry on the inside before you buy. Also build them in an [A ]shaped reek so water cannot get through them

Advertisement