Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melons

Options
  • 06-12-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Planning for the tunnel next year I'd like to give melons a go, in particular Honeydew melons. Has anyone grown these? Can you recommend where I could get seed? There doesn't seem to be seed around for honeydew or much info on growing them. Are they not suitable to northern climes?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

http://www.theorganiccentre.ie/catalog/80

a few variety of melon available..... while not a honeydew type, i can recommend the "crimson sweet" variety for growing undercover or in a sheltered spot - excellent size and flavour with good disease resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks a lot. Did you grow this type yourself? How many fruit could I expect from each plant? Would it work growing it up with support? Cheers

grew them a couple of years back simply as an exercise.... i limited the yield to just 2 per plant but i believe you can get 4-6 per plant depending on conditions -remember the more fruit per plant the smaller the size of melon also with watering and temp considerations, i decided on less yield with better quality.

since i was limited for space i grew them from strings off the crop bars - just make sure the support structure is strong enough to handle the multiple of FULL size fruits.....support the individual fruits with net/mesh -ladies stockings work very well ;).

if you can achieve the temp constants of 21c and above, then the biggest concern will be watering as they are very thirsty!

Excellent, thanks for all the info. I'll give it a bash as an experiment and see if it is worth the space. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall says that bras make great supports. Might cause a few raised eyebrows round the allotment :-)

redser7 wrote: »
    Excellent, thanks for all the info. I'll give it a bash as an experiment and see if it is worth the space. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall says that bras make great supports. Might cause a few raised eyebrows round the allotment :-)

hope you need DD's rather than A cups to holister them:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Nothing worse than sagging melons :eek:

Well that's what the bra will be for.
    ah here

Advertisement