Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner - Guitar advise please

Options
  • 06-12-2011 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am going to get some guitar lessons in the new year.
    I am a total beginner ( mid life crisis !). Can someone recommend a good
    budget brand of acoustic guitar that I should look at. Someone has mentioned the Stagg brand to me... any good ? All help apriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Whats your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Here's a tasty 2nd hand one that is well priced. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/guitars/2790084

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

deko43 wrote: »
    Hi,
    budget brand of acoustic guitar that I should look at. Someone has mentioned the Stagg brand to me... any good ? All help apriciated.
    Minefield. Majority of beginner guitars are unfortunately utter cr*p. Vintage are a good bet. Trev Wilkinson design input, well set up and a decent playing surface. Run a mile from anything by sx.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Here's a Tanglewood for €250 http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/guitars/2751375

endacl wrote: »
    Run a mile from anything by sx.

Why?? I've had many guitars over the years including an SX Les Paul Custom style electric and my sister had an SX acoustic which cost her €155 and it was as good as any epiphone, aria washburn acoustic ive ever played

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My starting point would be anything with decent tuning machine heads. Grover etc. If you can't tune it and it won't stay in tune you'll just get frustrated. Then I'd be looking for something with a solid top. Something that sound better will keep your interest better.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭deko43

Whats your budget?

Was hoping to get something half decent for around €150.
    Is that wishful thinking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I started off on an encore. wasn't the worst, a lot of the entry rate types are really bad these days though.

after playing that for couple of years my sibs bought me a walden, from musicmaker , these are a good make in my opinion and are reasonably priced, especially as they use good materials.

i've matured onto a big baby taylor which i adore. probably a bit out of what you want to pay but this would be an excellent beginner guitar in my opinion as the scale is 15/16 of what a normal guitar is which makes chords easier to reach/and play.

if you've only got 150 to spend i'd seriously consider paying a bit more. I would suggest buying a new one so you don't get stung with a lemon. 150 won't get you much in terms of a new guitar. Thing is if it's a hobby you want to take it seriously from the start. if you decided to get in shape instead a gym membership for one year will cost you more than that. With a guitar you'll have it for many years and you'll also be able to sell it on at a reasonable price if you don't click with it.

Anyway just my 20 cents. Best of luck with it whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭pavb2

Was looking at these the week end a Cort model, electronic tuning, plugs in to an amp for 190 euro was recommended. What do people think?

pavb2 wrote: »
    Was looking at these the week end a Cort model, electronic tuning, plugs in to an amp for 190 euro was recommended. What do people think?

Cort aren't too bad, as mentioned about €150 wont get you much, anything for that money will be really hard to play and wont sound good, so you'll think it is you that isn't doing a good job when it could just as easily be the guitar itself. If you could get up as far as €200 you'd get something much better. There's some decent epiphones going in x music in ballymount for that kinda money

• Advertisement

Run a mile from anything by sx.

Why?? I've had many guitars over the years including an SX Les Paul Custom style electric and my sister had an SX acoustic which cost her €155 and it was as good as any epiphone, aria washburn acoustic ive ever played
    No it wasn't....

Based on replies I think I will push the budget up a bit. Sounds like
    spending an extra few quid will get me something easier to play
    which makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭clonmahon

The Fender CD - 60 - CE from the music store in Germany for 106 euro 80 cents. Well within your budget, even including carriage.

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/IEP/Fender-CD-60-BK-Upgrade-Black/art-GIT0020874-000

Here is a video of me playing one, judge for yourself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeOwkdl4L14

I bought mine in Argos with a pickup and preamp, they are currently selling for 239.99. I have used this guitar for gigs now for almost 2 years, good machine for the money. It's not the guitar that makes the sound it's the player, a good player can knock sweet music out of a crap guitar, a crap player couldn't knock music out of a great guitar.

clonmahon wrote: »
    The Fender CD - 60 - CE from the music store in Germany for 106 euro 80 cents. Well within your budget, even including carriage.

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/IEP/Fender-CD-60-BK-Upgrade-Black/art-GIT0020874-000

Looks great.. thanks for that. I am going to forward to my wife as its going to be my Christmas pressie...

Here is a video of me playing one, judge for yourself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeOwkdl4L14

I bought mine in Argos with a pickup and preamp, they are currently selling for 239.99. I have used this guitar for gigs now for almost 2 years, good machine for the money. It's not the guitar that makes the sound it's the player, a good player can knock sweet music out of a crap guitar, a crap player couldn't knock music out of a great guitar.
    That's a nice notion, and has been knocking around for years. Question. Could a good carpenter knock up a sweet bookshelf with a banana? ;-)

No it wasn't....

:rolleyes:Wow....... Your debate skills are just incredible, I bow down my guitar playing experience to your expertise :rolleyes:

OP yeah upping your budget to around the 200 mark or slightly more will get you a much nicer and more enjoyable guitar to play, helping maintain your interest and determination

It's not the guitar that makes the sound it's the player, a good player can knock sweet music out of a crap guitar, a crap player couldn't knock music out of a great guitar.

Also That's gotta be one of the most ridiculous things i've ever read.... I was gonna type out a witty comparrison but endacl hit it right on the head!!

That's a nice notion, and has been knocking around for years. Question. Could a good carpenter knock up a sweet bookshelf with a banana? ;-)

No but a good carpenter could knock up a good bookshelf with a cheap set of hand tools at a kitchen table. A crap carpenter couldn't knock up a good bookshelf with a fully equipped workshop full of De Walt power tools.

Also That's gotta be one of the most ridiculous things i've ever read.... I was gonna type out a witty comparrison but endacl hit it right on the head!!

I'm paraphrasing the great Buddy Guy. A fan once came back stage after a gig and looked at his guitar on a stand. They said there is a great sound out of that guitar Buddy. He said "well there it is now and what sound is it making". It ain't the guitar that makes the music, it's the skill of the player. Each guitar has its own distinct tone, that's for sure, but the key factor in making great music is the player, not the machine.

No but a good carpenter could knock up a good bookshelf with a cheap set of hand tools at a kitchen table. A crap carpenter couldn't knock up a good bookshelf with a fully equipped workshop full of De Walt power tools.

So you're saying that if you have a crap set of tools you can do as good and easy a job as you could with a good expensive set?? Cause you're wrong.... Do you do trade work yourself? I'm a plumber and if someone handed me a mickey mouse blow torch or welding plant and asked me to do the same quality weld as I could with a top of the range plant i'd tell them good luck. Same principal applies to bending pipe, with a proper expensive bending machine I'll get perfectly rounded and angles bends, where as a 50 euro one from aldi will warp and collapse the pipe. And that's from 1st hand experience...

At the end of the day you dont need to spend a fortune on a guitar to learn, but if you buy a cheap piece of wood cut into the shape of a guitar with a set of strings on it its gonna be tough to play due to string height or internation (or lack of) and it will sound brutal.
    I'm paraphrasing the great Buddy Guy. A fan once came back stage after a gig and looked at his guitar on a stand. They said there is a great sound out of that guitar Buddy. He said "well there it is now and what sound is it making". It ain't the guitar that makes the music, it's the skill of the player. Each guitar has its own distinct tone, that's for sure, but the key factor in making great music is the player, not the machine.

That logic doesnt apply to a beginner, if someone buys a cheap, hard to play, brutal sounding guitar, theyre gonna lose interest very fast. You cant compare the OP to Buddy Guy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its bit of a glib remark. Even great players have different guitars they use for different sounds, tones, and ones they prefer over other guitars. Most guitars players get a decent guitar as soon as they can.

Looks great.. thanks for that. I am going to forward to my wife as its going to be my Christmas pressie...

I gotta revise this the guitar I am playing in the video is the Fender CD-60CE. Which is 175 euros from Music Store.

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/Fender-CD-60-CE-BLK-Upgrade-Black/art-GIT0014088-000

What the difference between this and the Fender CD-60 BK apart from the pickup and pre amp is I don't know. Sorry for the confusion guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

Hi,

Me too...I am 43 and have just started 3 weeks ago...prepare for sore fingers but keep at it...can just about play pulp - common people. It's a great relaxer in the evening. Go to www.justinguitar.com for lessons. He's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Me too...I am 43 and have just started 3 weeks ago...prepare for sore fingers but keep at it...can just about play pulp - common people. It's a great relaxer in the evening. Go to www.justinguitar.com for lessons. He's good.

What kind of guitar did you get?

My employee..only employee..had a Westfield steel string and was doing nothing with it so he gave me a lend of it. When I said I liked it, he gave it to me. Now I have to let him go, I'll have to offer it back. It is nice but my fingers are still killing me. I would say a good second hand guitar would be better than a cheap new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

My employee..only employee..had a Westfield steel string and was doing nothing with it so he gave me a lend of it. When I said I liked it, he gave it to me. Now I have to let him go, I'll have to offer it back. It is nice but my fingers are still killing me. I would say a good second hand guitar would be better than a cheap new one.

Sorry to hear about your situation, I hope things get better. Thanks for the reply. I'm in the same age group and have always wanted to learn to play the guitar. Hopefully, I'll do something about it before the year is out.

cofy wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your situation, I hope things get better. Thanks for the reply. I'm in the same age group and have always wanted to learn to play the guitar. Hopefully, I'll do something about it before the year is out.

Do it now! and get into it. I've been sitting around watching tv and drinking wine in the evenings for years...which i want to stop. The guitar completely takes over and I hope I don't get bored of it, After breaking pain barrier every evening I doubt it. You need a laptop and guitar and you are away. Where are you based?

BostonB wrote: »
    Its bit of a glib remark. Even great players have different guitars they use for different sounds, tones, and ones they prefer over other guitars. Most guitars players get a decent guitar as soon as they can.

Before I bought the cheap Fender I had (and still have ) a Martin DXME which sells online for 722 euros.

http://www.musicvillageonline.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=91_30&products_id=2989&language=en

A friend bought it for small money in a Las Vegas pawn shop. A very sweet sound when played unplugged, but I prefer the sound of the cheap fender when plugging in. I use the Martin unplugged for house parties and for recording, and the Fender for everything else.

So long as the guitar is mechanically sound, will tune properly, will stay in tune and has a reasonable action, it will do the job for a beginner. The biggest factor in making great music is the musician, not the equipment. I have heard great music knocked from cheap guitars by great players and crap players making a racket with expensive guitars.

You guys are a laugh. This tread was started to offer simple advice to a beginner (like myself) and you have all gone off on one with how much you all know about what! Give Cofy some simple advice and then leave it, eh?

• Advertisement

You guys are a laugh. This tread was started to offer simple advice to a beginner (like myself) and you have all gone off on one with how much you all know about what! Give Cofy some simple advice and then leave it, eh?

Your right but this is the nature of guitar players, ask 10 guitar players for an opinion and you will get 10 different opinions.

Advertisement