Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should make FF XV?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Seeing that we're closing onto the release of FF 13-2 and Type-0 is already released the only big FF game left is Versus. That means Square should definitely start preparing the development of FF XV (if they haven't started already). So who do you think should head the team that makes FF XV?

Should it be Toriyama again? Bring Kitase in as a director? Maybe take Nomura off Kingdom Hearts and put him on Final Fantasy? Another option would be to let Tabata take a stab at mainline FF title? Or do you want someone completely different?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anybody but Nomura.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yasumi Matsuno. These things take ages to develop so I'd be amazed if it weren't already underway.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

@Retro: care to elaborate on the hate for Nomura? He seems to be doing quite well with KH and Versus (but that's just my opnion of course).

@ancapailldocrcha: I think Matsuno is at Level 5 working on some small project as that's what he wanted to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you think Kingdom Hearts is a great series then something is wrong with you. The guy can't write a scenario or dialogue to save his life and I've not enjoyed any of his games he has been in charge of, except the original KH but it'sgone way off the rails. I'd go so far as to say that of any videogame, film, comic or book Kingdom Hearts has what could be the worst storyline ever written be it by mankind or space beings. It's fun but that's not Nomuras area, everythign with a bang of Nomura off it is ****. He should stick to being an artist because he can't direct a game. He needs someone there to rein his ego in like on the first KH game.

As for Versus 13? Seriously? The games development is a joke. He's hardly a good director when the game is looking like it could be the next Duke Nukem Forever.

Kitase or Toriyama would get my vote. Keep Nomura away from anything but art design. Matsuno would be a dream come true but I doubt he'll be back. Also no to Akitoshi Kawazu, he's too experimental.

i get what you mean, though i have to say I've actually enjoyed the first kh the least and the subsequent ones more so thanks to the a ff-esque feel to it. Though I do agree that the character development of the main party (sora, donald and goofy) is quite awful and the dialogues are quite cheesy.

With regards to Versus it has actually only started proper development this year...that was Square's mistake really, announcing a game without actual plans to develop it anytime soon (like in Type-0's case).

I'd probably go for Kitase myself, simply because Toriyama has been given 3 chances with X-2 being fun but not great and XIII being polarising. Having said that XIII-2 is looking great. I'd pick Tabata but he seems to be busy with Type subseries from now on. Then again maybe someone new might step up just like Yoshida did for XIV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also no to Akitoshi Kawazu, he's too experimental.

Experimental isn't always bad! I've no problem with someone trying something new, it may flop but on the other hand, it may excel

Oh definitely not but his games are usually not just experimental but also ****. His portfolio includes Final Fantasy 2, Legend of Mana and the entire Saga series including the god awful Unlimited Saga. If he's in charge there's a 95% chance it will suck balls and a 100% chance you won't understand the mechanics even after you finish the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Shame about Matsuno. My JRPG experience is limited to about 8 FFs and the incredible Demon's Souls. I gave XII quite a bit of hate as it was the second one I played (after FFX). After playing more of them it was a nice change to the formula as opposed to the "Let's get together to slay the bad guy and then the guy who was pulling his strings because he wasn't bad in the first place" approach which seems to be an annoyingly common theme (
    Edea, Golbez & Sin spring to mind
    ).
    Nomura seems to be good as a character designer. I haven't played KH and I'm not too well up on who's who in the world of JRPGs.

Not that this is relevant to anything but is there a reason why Cloud's buster sword is bandaged in KH?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Shame about Matsuno.

He's a great storyteller, I like how his storylines are like Suikodens were nobody is pure evil or have decent motives behind why they are bad unlike the FF games which can be flaky to say the least other thanwith Kefka.

You should check out Vagrant Story and Tactics Ogre if you like Matsuno's story telling. Tactics Ogre in particular is a take on the 90's war in the Balkans.
    Not that this is relevant to anything but is there a reason why Cloud's buster sword is bandaged in KH?

Yes, Nomura.

It's just a miracle it's not covered in zippers like this abomination

026.jpg

I might just do that. Are many of them on the PC/PSN?

Wow, that's a lot of zippers. I mean, why are they on the back of Donald's cap? I think Gabranth might just be my fave FF baddie until I check out VI. On the subject, I loved Vayne and Cid's motives. Such a refreshing change to the old formula. I really hope XII sees a PS3 release.

• Advertisement

Tactics Ogre is on PSN, it's a PSP game.

Vagrant Story is on PSN and a PS1 game so works on PS3 and PSP.

Thanks Retr0!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Anybody but Nomura.
    I just googled him and found out that he directed Advent Children. I think I care more about how badly this turned out than his games. Great animation, design etc but the movie shows how he lacks any talent in the directorial and narrative department. :p

Lets be fair here though, there was no way Advent Children was gonna turn out as the pivotal moment in FFVII canon. As an action nut, I wanted way more fighting in my movie, whereas my friend wanted to see all the previous locations in perfectly rendered glory. We both enjoyed FFVII but neither of us was satisfied with AC.

Nomura was fighting a losing battle from the get-go there.

I'm sorry but Advent Children was a total mess, nothing more.

I'm sorry but Advent Children was a total mess, nothing more.

I was trying to say that in a diplomatic way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If you think Kingdom Hearts is a great series then something is wrong with you. The guy can't write a scenario or dialogue to save his life and I've not enjoyed any of his games he has been in charge of, except the original KH but it'sgone way off the rails..

There must be something wrong with me so.

K2 was better than one, even if the story went haywire.

Birth by Sleep is simply an excellent game - perfectly combining a more basic battle system with a more concise story.

Dare I ask but
    is there a reason Sephiroth lets Cloud cut him up at the end?

noodler wrote: »
    There must be something wrong with me so.

K2 was better than one, even if the story went haywire.

Birth by Sleep is simply an excellent game - perfectly combining a more basic battle system with a more concise story.

They're fun but my god is the story bad.
    Dare I ask but
    is there a reason Sephiroth lets Cloud cut him up at the end?

Are we talking about the end of FFVII??

Are we talking about the end of FFVII??

No, AC.

• Advertisement

as far as I recall,
    As Sephiroth is gloating over knocking 7 shades of **** out of Cloud, Cloud shoots up from the debris to perform the multi-sword omnislash. As he starts there's a moment of "uh oh" seen on Sephiroth's face which I think is supposed to mean he hadn't got time to react.....which in itself is bollox considering earlier speed.

I've a different interpretation:
    The film was **** stop thinking there's anything deeper than Nomura saying 'this would look cool' behind it :P

RedXIV wrote: »
    as far as I recall,
    As Sephiroth is gloating over knocking 7 shades of **** out of Cloud, Cloud shoots up from the debris to perform the multi-sword omnislash. As he starts there's a moment of "uh oh" seen on Sephiroth's face which I think is supposed to mean he hadn't got time to react.....which in itself is bollox considering earlier speed.

the complete edition does have a nice throwback
    as cloud isn't stabbed in the shoulder but sephiroth's sword goes right through cloud kinda like the memory in that jenova reactor back in ff 7.

complete edition is actually a passable watch, as it adds many scenes which actually connect the plot pace it better. they especially make denzel much more important. overall, i enjoyed AC as an action film with ff 7 fanservice, nothing less nothing more.

on topic, though. apparently the dude who made ff 9 and ff 12 (forgot his name) is away working on some project with his team for a long time. So that could be ff 15. also from what i've read on the internet there very well could be renaming of versus to ff 15.

They're fun but my god is the story bad.

You haven't played Birth by Sleep though!

i found this explanation of the story to be hilarious but it nicely sums up all the 6 games. plus it actually makes it straight forward

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B8cPyvE2GTjOMzE4MTVlZTctMjE5Yi00YzAzLWJjZTAtZTllODY2OTc2MTMx&hl=en_US

btw yeah BBS is actually pretty good in the story department.

Mario007 wrote: »
    i found this explanation of the story to be hilarious but it nicely sums up all the 6 games. plus it actually makes it straight forward

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B8cPyvE2GTjOMzE4MTVlZTctMjE5Yi00YzAzLWJjZTAtZTllODY2OTc2MTMx&hl=en_US

btw yeah BBS is actually pretty good in the story department.

I like to think about the BBS story bringing us nicely to the plot of KH3 and I just forget about everything in between!

I'll get around to it eventually but I doubt there's anything they can do to redeem themselves and the cluster**** of KH2 (which I haven't finished but have heard a summayr of).
    I like to think about the BBS story bringing us nicely to the plot of KH3 and I just forget about everything in between!

We won't see KH3 at all until Versus 13 is out. The KH team is the versus 13 and while they are still stuck developing that square will keep pumping out the spin-offs.

I'll get around to it eventually but I doubt there's anything they can do to redeem themselves and the cluster**** of KH2 (which I haven't finished but have heard a summayr of).

We won't see KH3 at all until Versus 13 is out. The KH team is the versus 13 and while they are still stuck developing that square will keep pumping out the spin-offs.

well there seems to be a new kh team now, the osaka team. they did bbs and are now doing ddd which are both considered as pretty much numbered titles and bbs is the best kh game by far. so maybe, just maybe, square gets them to do kh3.

definitely get bbs. the story is much better thought out, the battle system is fun and its pretty much a fresh start. btw what didn't you like about kh2? was it the retardation of sora, donald and goofy, the non-relevance or disney worlds or the including the nobodies into the game?

I won't spoil anything for you re: BBS but the ending quite clearly sets us up for the next one - it couldn't be more explicit! (whenever that is!)

I loved it, you can play through the story three times (you should anyway) with the three different optional characters. Each playthrough has gaps in it which are filled in by the next character's playthrough. SOundtrack and voice-acting is also quite good for me (Len Nimoy is excellent!)

• Advertisement

Mario007 wrote: »
    definitely get bbs. the story is much better thought out, the battle system is fun and its pretty much a fresh start. btw what didn't you like about kh2? was it the retardation of sora, donald and goofy, the non-relevance or disney worlds or the including the nobodies into the game?

I very much enjoyed 2. It was easier to get into than the first one which was really quite crap for the first 3 or 4 worlds.

But it was also piss easy by comparison to one, it was great seeing Squall and Cloud etc but some of the story was just like wut?

Advertisement