Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side by Side

Options
  • 06-12-2011 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Basically I've a Lanber over and under at the moment and I'm looking to change it for a nice light side by side. There's nothing wrong with the Lanber and I shoot pretty well with it but I'b prefer a side by side and really should have got one when buying my gun.

So what I'b be looking to do is put a couple of hundred with my gun in a trade for a sxs. What kind of side by sides are out there for €500 to €700? I'd love an AYA as their nice and light and I love the feel of them. I should be able to pick up a Yeoman for that price shouldn't I?

Also if I trade my gun in and buy another one I can just use the substitution form but what happens if I sell my gun privately? Will my old license be void and will I have to pay another €80 for a new license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    Basically I've a Lanber over and under at the moment and I'm looking to change it for a nice light side by side. There's nothing wrong with the Lanber and I shoot pretty well with it but I'b prefer a side by side and really should have got one when buying my gun.

So what I'b be looking to do is put a couple of hundred with my gun in a trade for a sxs. What kind of side by sides are out there for €500 to €700? I'd love an AYA as their nice and light and I love the feel of them. I should be able to pick up a Yeoman for that price shouldn't I?

Also if I trade my gun in and buy another one I can just use the substitution form but what happens if I sell my gun privately? Will my old license be void and will I have to pay another €80 for a new license?

For a decent side by side like an AYA sidelock your talking over well over a grand, a boxlock may be slightly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tonytoc11

For a decent side by side like an AYA sidelock your talking over well over a grand, a boxlock may be slightly cheaper.
    Ya but a yeoman is the most basic version and is a boxlock. Its perfect for the rough shooting il be doing. They are proving hard to find though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

If you can, try get something with changeable chokes. I traded my mossberg semi for a zabala side by side a few months ago and I'm very happy with it. Mine has 26 inch barrels, ejectors and multi chokes. It's a very versatile gun and much nicer to use and more reliable than the semi.

I think you should get one of those in your budget no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

there are a couple of yeoman non ejectors in outdoor sports in mullingar they are in good condition and not highly priced either from memory

Anyone know what the story is with licensing and selling privately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Same process as with a gundealer but instead of a bill of sale from the dealer the seller will have to write you a note. Keep in mind that the seller can not hand you the gun untill you have the little card in hand.

You'll find that a lot of people will prefer to sell through a dealer anyway.

By the way, extremely good side by sides can be got for buttons in Ireland. Good Spanish, German, Belgian and Italian guns are changing hands ( or gathering dust in a dealers ) for a lot less than what they'd make in the UK and on the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75300764 here is nice gun might still be for sale this would be a very well made english side by side.. id try get it down... a tiny bit over priced imo no offence intended to you tac

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

youl should get a nice sxs aya No. 4 for around the €500.00 in fairly good nick fixed chokes and ejectors, boxlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Was in Stakelums today and was looking at that gun.
    It is genuinely in immaculate condition.Has beautiful balance and is very light(has the feel of a No.2 or dare I say it a No.1)
    Wasn't interested in buying so I never asked a price.

• Advertisement

pat do you know the list price of a new no4 :confused: if you can pick up a nice one for 500 dabs best of luck to you ;)

snipe02 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75300764 here is nice gun might still be for sale this would be a very well made english side by side.. id try get it down... a tiny bit over priced imo no offence intended to you tac

That is a beautiful gun although I still reckon it would be at the upper end of my budget. I might try sell mine and see how it fairs

patdahat wrote: »

Ya I reckon that could be pricey but we'll see

youl should get a nice sxs aya No. 4 for around the €500.00 in fairly good nick fixed chokes and ejectors, boxlock.

I know of a good example going for €800 and another No.4 going for less but needs a good service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Keep your eyes open for a merkel sxs , they are german and are very well made and of good materials , they do have a slightly blocky appearance but that shouldn't matter. As for the old british guns , becareful as parts can't just be bought off a shelf like car parts , and most being well over 30 or 40 years old at least might have problems. A bsa might be your best bet as they were mass produced and still have a nice quality and fit to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Tac

I have a Sabel Silver Deluxe sidelock...s/s and i love it..light, fast handling and a fab looking gun. Trapper John in Tulsk has one in at the mo,,,and also an AYA too if ur interested.

dont know the price of a new 1, i got mine in good enough condition 3 years ago for €400. no rust no majour scratche's they are cheap enough gun 2nd hand.

pat do you know the list price of a new no4 confused.gif if you can pick up a nice one for 500 dabs best of luck to you wink.gif
    dont know the price of a new 1, i got mine in good enough condition 3 years ago for €400. no rust no majour scratche's they are cheap enough gun 2nd hand.

i priced one 2 years ago 2300 stg i bought 2nd hand too ;) you stole it for 400 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mixerbarcoe

landkeeper wrote: »
    i priced one 2 years ago 2300 stg i bought 2nd hand too ;) you stole it for 400 :D

i think it depends on which type your looking to buy. if your looking for a sidelock model price range is up in the thousands, but you can pick up a decent boxlock for under a grand..

• Advertisement

Ive found a nice yeoman locally for only €350. Its actualy in good condition although the bluing on the barrells is fading a bit but i could tip away at that myself. Ive found a few nice guns but their up the country. I must call down to jeffersports to see his stock

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I got a no. 4 for €295 (Cue abuse for being a jammy git). Gun is very tight and solid, no damage. Laquer finish is a bit worn on the stock but that suits me perfectly as I intend to strip it and oil finish it myself, perfect working order and shoots well for me. There are deals if you can stumble across them, but five or six hundred should get you a no. 4 if you keep looking.

mixer a no4 is a boxlock not a sidelock the basic no4 starts at 2kish and goes up to over 4k depending on spec

that one in the for sale section is good value

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I had a shot with a fabarm clasis pistol grip and by golly did it point like a clay gun and fitted really well

landkeeper wrote: »
    mixer a no4 is a boxlock not a sidelock the basic no4 starts at 2kish and goes up to over 4k depending on spec

that one in the for sale section is good value
    The must have come down. Ive found 3 or 4 for under a grand. Dont know why as they are beautiful guns

The must have come down. Ive found 3 or 4 for under a grand. Dont know why as they are beautiful guns

Don't know why myself. Looked at the new prices and was baffled, since second hand, they go in good nick for about £500 in England. Well worth a look on guntrader.co.uk by the way. They usually have a good few around that mark, or did when I was looking for one.

Don't know why myself. Looked at the new prices and was baffled, since second hand, they go in good nick for about £500 in England. Well worth a look on guntrader.co.uk by the way. They usually have a good few around that mark, or did when I was looking for one.

Ive thought of that but by time you ship it over and pay a dealer over here is it worth it? I emailed a guy on guntrader.co.uk but he said he can only ship to the north

Ive thought of that but by time you ship it over and pay a dealer over here is it worth it? I emailed a guy on guntrader.co.uk but he said he can only ship to the north

here the current price list from the importer in the uk maybe prices have come down with the economy:D

http://www.a-s-i.co.uk/Documents/2011%20Retail%20Prices/AYA%20Retail%2011.pdf

• Advertisement

I've imported from GB and from NI before. GB is definitely more hassle. I brought it in to the north, then imported personally. In future, would definitely get a dealer to do the second leg of the import, which I did the second time, much less hassle and faster in my experience. Still can be great savings, and more significantly, in a lot of cases, the stuff just isn't to be had over here, while it can be found there.

Advertisement