Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gelish manicure or the Shellac manicure???

• 06-12-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi I'm just wondering which one will last the longest??
    I've made an appointment this weekend to get the Gelish french manicure done I'm wondering is the Shellac manicure longer lasting though??
    I would be very greatful of anyones opionion of the two,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I have had both the Shellac and the Jessica Geleration methods and would find the Jessica one far superior to the Shellac. Shellac chipped within 2 days whereas the Jessica one last for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Gelish and Shellac are both great but are different products.

Gelish, along with Jessica geleration, are GEL polishes, similiar to whats used when doing a set of gel nails.

Shellac does not contain gel and is more a hybrid polish that has the wearibility of gels but without the damage (damage can be caused by the nail tech, not the product, buffing of natural nails etc either prior to treatment or to remove) Its also hypo allergenic and 3 free so personally I find it great as theres no over exposure issues when wearing it all the time.

Shellac should last 14 days when applied correctly and the aftercare followed properly. Lifting or chipping can caused by incorrect prep or by not capping at the free edge of the nail. Or it can be caused by not wearing gloves when cleaning, using nails like tools etc. If its chipping after two days then you should go back to the nail tech/salon.

Its the same with everything, its down to finding a decent nail tech who is properly educated and trained and knows the system used inside out as well as clients ensuring that they follow aftercare precisely- its given for a reason.

Shellac has turned into a noun with countless places claiming to offer it when in reality its a cheap alternative that they claim 'is the same as' Shellac, so OP I am happy that there are people who know the difference! Gelish is fab too so it really is down to personal preference, they both should last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I totally agree that it's down to the nail tech. I've had shellac applied in the same salon about 5 times and only ever lasts the full 2 (or even 3 weeks!) when applied by this one girl. I've also found that french manicure with shellac doesn't last as long for me as when I get a colour for some reason. Make sure you go to a place that's been recommended or to a nail tech that you know is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Exactly, the importance of how good the nail tech is makes all the difference. It amazes me the amount of one day course qualified folks are out there, charging for work that is so below standard its not funny. You see pics up on facebook showing their work..maybe its just me but majority just seem to be loading product onto their nails with no clue how to properly create professionally finished work, looks so tacky and cheap. But then a lot of this stems from people wanting sets of gel nails for a tenner...you get what you pay for.

Even down to an amazing product like Shellac- I got mine done a good few months ago in a local salon, place is amazing and I always had great treatments in there. It was the manager doing the Shellac on me and honest to god I couldnt believe how far she strayed from what is actually meant to be done...I wanted to see how others do theirs, learn from them etc ( I had just trained with Shellac) Unfortunately its the client who ends up worse off, getting half rate treatments and paying for it simply because how does anyone know what to expect unless they get it done properly the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sweatybetty18

:D
    Thanks to everyone who replied.
    I will take on board all the advice and yes I agree that a good nail technician is essential for any nail treatment.
    I'll be getting it done in New York Nails which has been recommended to me by many and it is known to have excellent nail technicians so I am guarranteed a good result.
    I cant wait to get them done now:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

could anyone recommend a salon in the Dublin 1/Dublin 7 area that has a good technician for either of these please? :-)

thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

could anyone recommend a salon in the Dublin 1/Dublin 7 area that has a good technician for either of these please? :-)

thank you!

A friend of mine always gets her Shellac done in Top to Toe Salon in Stoneybatter and swears by them. They sometimes have Shellac deals so it's worth keeping an eye on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I have to agree that the technician has a lot to do with the success of the Shellac manicure. For my wedding, I got my nails done in a particular salon. The very next day they were chipped and had to spend some of my wedding morning getting one mended. Two others in the wedding party got their nails done in same place on same day - the nails done by the same person who did mine were also chipped and needing to be redone the next day, whereas another set of nails done by another technician were perfect nearly 3 weeks later! They were using the same polishes and equipment so that really just points to bad workmanship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

It may be down to the nail technician but I only every get 10 days out of Shellac where I have the Gellish on nearly 3 weeks now and it's perfect. Don't want to know what kind of damage lurking underneath though as they were bad enough after the removal of the shellac which is not meant to be half as damaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I've had the Shellac done in Lesley's in Killester and lasted a good few weeks, only got it taken off because my nails were growing and there was too much clear nail growing out but it was really great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 AnCiotog

Anyone recommend anyone in Cork for shellac?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sweatybetty18

AnCiotog wrote: »
    Anyone recommend anyone in Cork for shellac?
    Please will someone recommend the Cheapest place in cork to get the shellac as I would like to get my hands and feet done for my hols next week and I was wondering if any place are doing good offers at the mo?? thanks;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Hi this might be a bit off topic, but i dont know much about gel nails but seen pictures and they look great ! I have really short nails, coz of biting for years and i used to work with clay alot. Anyway i'm not back to college for a few weeks so was wondering would they suit someone with awful nails?? Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 44 AnCiotog

Please will someone recommend the Cheapest place in cork to get the shellac as I would like to get my hands and feet done for my hols next week and I was wondering if any place are doing good offers at the mo?? thanks;)

I've seen a place in Blackrock offering €20, but I don't know if they're any good. Sorry.

Advertisement