Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Can I get my apartment back from renters

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

nibtrix wrote: »
    As the OP knows they won't be extending the lease they could be very kind and let the tenants know soon after Christmas so they have as much time as possible to find a new place.
    I would agree. Even if she doesn't give them immediate notification, she should take care to give them the statutory 4 weeks minimum notification (that means in writing OP) before the end of the lease so that they must vacate on the last day of the lease, don't just assume they will. Otherwise their tenancy, having last six months, will automatically become a Part 4 and while the OP could then notify them to vacate on the basis that she needs the propery for herself, she'll still be obliged to give them the minimum notification which will then be 5 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 kneeler

The same thing happened to a friend of mine. She gave notice of a maintenance inspection. Then she showed them a report showing serious concerns about fire safety. She then showed the tenants an estimate which involved a load of work. She said that the apartment was a fire hazard and that they would have to move out within a week. She said they could move back when the work was complete. The tenants just moved and got another place. End of problem"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

kneeler wrote: »
    The same thing happened to a friend of mine. She gave notice of a maintenance inspection. Then she showed them a report showing serious concerns about fire safety. She then showed the tenants an estimate which involved a load of work. She said that the apartment was a fire hazard and that they would have to move out within a week. She said they could move back when the work was complete. The tenants just moved and got another place. End of problem"

If she went down this route (Which is very dishonest if there isn't anything wrong) would she not be liable to put the tenants up in other suitable accommodation until repairs (fake or not) were completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Harsh lesson to be learned from trusting someone!... guess people are not like me and I shouldnt expect them to be.. hence didnt give the lease a second thought... I am not driven by money... unfortunately for me...

Do you mean trusting your boyfriend? Because I can't imagine how you'd feel hard done by from your tenants - they haven't done anything wrong. I'm not sure why you are feeling sorry for yourself as above, you are the one who is changing the goal posts here..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

odds_on wrote: »
    Those lines which I have highlighted in red and in bold refer only to PART 4 tenancy agreements. They do not refer to a Fixed Term agreement.

Sorry, but I can not make it any clearer than that.

Thanks. We had the same kind of discussion here when a landlord gave us notice during a fixed term lease. Because he wanted to move in.He was as..... uneducated.. as the OP here.

We decided to leave anyway but in our time and on our terms.And we involved Threshold and the PTRB. For safety.

OP;please have the grace and kindness to wait until after New Year. Allow the tenants peace until then? It is a horrible situation to be in. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

smccarrick wrote: »
    Ok guys, I seriously think I need to make a sticky thread detailing what a fixed term lease and what a Part 4 tenancy are.

Defo!

Advertisement