Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Controller/gamepad for emulation

• 06-12-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

I have been playing a lot of C64 and NES games recently on my PC. Trying to play with a keyboard is obviously a complete joke. Do the retro-regulars here have any recommendations on controllers or gamepads that you guys use for emulation?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have been playing a lot of C64 and NES games recently on my PC. Trying to play with a keyboard is obviously a complete joke. Do the retro-regulars here have any recommendations on controllers or gamepads that you guys use for emulation?

Thanks!

Any bog standard usb pad should do for NES & C64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've various joypads I use but seem to stick with the competition pro sticks for older systems and the Xbox 360 wireless pad hooked up to the wireless adapter on the pc for the more recent ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Playstation pads are nicer for emulation IMO, much better d-pads.

Saturn pads are great too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The 360 SFIV fightpads make a very nice USB joypad IMO. Probably better for emulation than it is for SFIV :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The 360 SFIV fightpads make a very nice USB joypad IMO. Probably better for emulation than it is for SFIV :pac:

Ugh, can't stand the fightpads. Think the d-pad on them is horrendous and whoever said it's as good as a saturn pad is wrong on so many levels.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ugh, can't stand the fightpads. Think the d-pad on them is horrendous and whoever said it's as good as a saturn pad is wrong on so many levels.

Best pads for us in an Arcade machine pad hack though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

360 wired pad has usb or there is a wireless microsoft dongle for the wireless xbox pads

I've been using a PlayStation pad myself for the last few years. It's so similar to the SNES pad that it's ideal for SNES emulation and I feel it works fine for the NES too.

360 wired pad has usb or there is a wireless microsoft dongle for the wireless xbox pads

I use the wireless dongle myself on the PC.
    It's handy for modern games as well that work best with pads.
    Exact same controls as the 360 on most of them but with decent graphics :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Steve SI wrote: »
    I use the wireless dongle myself on the PC.
    It's handy for modern games as well that work best with pads.
    Exact same controls as the 360 on most of them but with decent graphics :D

N64 is great with the 360 pad :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

PS2 to USB adaptor is the best thing you can get for emulation.
    The PS pad is great for gaming , and the adaptor gives you access to all the PS/dualshock etc pads and you can use steering wheels, arcade sticks, dancepads , all of which can be bought for practically nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I never realised a PS2 or Xbox pad could be used for PC gaming - I will just go for the PS pad, as I'm used to it that bit more.

thanks for the help, chaps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS pad is a bit rubbish for 6 button games and anything that requires a good d-pad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have to agree with you there. Although, a PS controller adapter will let you connect up things like the Namco arcade stick, which would be pretty nice.

I guess it all comes down to the games you're playing.

It does work nicely with PS1 N64 and onwards emulation, the only game it doesn't work well with being sin and punishment and then only the N64 controller is comfortable for that game.

PS pad is a bit rubbish for 6 button games and anything that requires a good d-pad.
    I know a few 3rd Strike players who'll heartily disagree with you there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

+1

Its almost as bad as the d-pad that came with the original Nintendo DS (have no idea if it was improved over the years).

Far too loose and cheap feeling, especially when you want to move diagonally.

I've been using a PS1 pad via usb adapter for the oldies too,
    perfect for all those pre-analog controller games.

I watched this video recently and thought it was cool and detailed.

It's not showing the evolution of all controllers,

just focussing on which features were blatantly copied by microsoft,

hence the lack of PS and Nintendo controllers in the video.

In this video I focus mainly on SEGA and Microsoft controllers as they seem to stem from the same family (Note the Microsoft logo on the front of your Dreamcast ;-P). I look at how the design has evolved from the very basic Master System controller right up to the current gen wireless Xbox 360 controller.

And for those fellow X-box D-Pad haters check out this 3rd party controller
    with what looks like a nicer d-pad.

Although it might be a bit overkill in a slighty unusual way! ;)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I know a few 3rd Strike players who'll heartily disagree with you there...

When I went from playing fighters on a MS sidewinder (god I love that pad) and saturn pad to a PS pad my game just fell apart. Really don't like the d-pad and hate not having access to 6 face buttons.

It's great for games like tekken and mk I find.

• Advertisement

Sidewinder was decent, but I find its floaty circular d-pad just doesn't seem to have enough springback (mind, this is from only picking up my old Gameport model).

Saturn pad is awesome (but my eBay one's right trigger is flaking out).
    Just as good (if not better) is my Hori Fighting Commander 1; it really makes me want to get a Hori FC3 Pro to compare.
    FC3 Pro actually seemingly solves the issue I have with all fight pads by having 6 face buttons, and then 2 triggers either side — BUT you can flick a switch and then have access to all 8 buttons on the right, freeing up your left completely!

And final point agreed; Tekken just FEELS better on a PS pad than any stick barring maybe a Korean Fanta (and even the Fanta is BARELY even!).

Is it the old MK1 sidewinder you have?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Microsoft_sidewinder.jpg

I can't find any fault with that one, the models after it just seemed to get worse and worse until MS finally did a USB version of the classic controller. No better controller for the PC in my eyes. I need to get a USB adapter for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Have to disagree with you there ,
    TBH I still prefer it to most other pads , plus its the the bastard son of the SNES controller!!

Have to disagree with you there ,
    TBH I still prefer it to most other pads , plus its the the bastard son of the SNES controller!!

Don't insult the SNES controller like that. That d-pad is its abortion.

Is it the old MK1 sidewinder you have?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Microsoft_sidewinder.jpg

I can't find any fault with that one, the models after it just seemed to get worse and worse until MS finally did a USB version of the classic controller. No better controller for the PC in my eyes. I need to get a USB adapter for it.
    That's the one.
    You can have mine if you want.

It's grand, just need a USB adapter, not the pad. Kind of annoyed creative aren;t supporting their sound cards in windows 7 so my gameport comtrollers are useless :( I have a fightstick anyway which does me fine.

Advertisement