Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has any one tried Livecode (or other multi format IDEs)?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

As someone who is trying to continue to self teach myself coding and getting a little bit bored of command prompt c++ I have been looking to some some android development.

I have played around in eclipse and learned a bit of java in the process (including how different it's string class is :mad:) but I guess I want some instant satisfaction and an easy way to create a UI as I suck at anything graphical (yeah yeah, I know this from a guy sick of coding for command prompt!) and I stumbled across Livecode which looks interesting and a lot more affordable than monodroid which I like the look of too (I <3 c#).

My question finally is though has anyone tried it or similar and is it worth using such tools or am I better just getting my hands dirty and dealing with android how it wants me to?
    Also are there any better tools out there than livecode as I don't want to invest my time in a potential lame duck with it's own language?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yes I started to play around with it a few weeks ago and it seems to be an OK environment as these things go. It has been around in the Mac world for some time, has some third party libraries available etc., so it is not such a new kid on the block.

I'd expect that it is capable of building most of your standard mobile apps, but being cross platform I would not be surprised to discover that there are some aspects of the individual platforms it does not support.

If you need to produce something that is cross platform and keep the learning curve low, it is worth looking at. On the other hand if you want to really get to know a particular platform, I'd expect you'd be better of sticking to the recommended tools for that platform.

On the jobs front, I doubt there will be much demand for Live Coders any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

That's a good point re: jobs market. I might put it in the "to check out soon" pile and instead get into android "properly".

Advertisement