Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Extreme Wind Storm - Thursday 8th December

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

howlinwolf wrote: »
    what the hell is a sting jet?
    "the most damaging winds were shown to be emanating from the evaporating tip of the hooked cloud head on the southern flank of the cyclone. This cloud, hooked like a scorpion's tail, gives the wind region its name the "Sting Jet"

That'd likely be Malin and Donegal and NI unless it is out to sea.

Pics here http://www.sercc.com/Knox_etal_Compass.pdf

We might get one on tuesday as well, a sting jet eats snow to perpetuate its stingitude you know. Booo! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Why all the fuss? If I had a euro for every Atlantic storm I've seen I'd be a millionaire! I remember this one caused great loss of life when a tree crushed a minibus of Swiss anglers near Portumna.
    Rrea00119910105.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Harps wrote: »
    It'll get windy overnight and stay windy all day tomorrow, peak around 2-3pm

Any idea how quick the snow will follow on it's heels?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The sting jets will be the heel, Donegal snow eaters.

By the way I found the original Sting Jet paper here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just noticed (not sure when it changed, the time on it hasn't changed) but Met Eireann have upgraded the top gusts in their warning from 135 km/h to 140 km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

They updated the website at 2300 also,more or less the same as what they have been saying "Tomorrow, Thursday will be an extremely windy day with stormy conditions along the north coast. A band of heavy rain will spread eastwards and will clear in the early afternoon, with brighter showery weather developing. There will be strong to gale force westerly winds, which will gust from 90 to 135 km/h, with the strongest gusts along the northwest and north coast".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Just noticed (not sure when it changed, the time on it hasn't changed) but Met Eireann have upgraded the top gusts in their warning from 135 km/h to 140 km/h.

Evelyn Cusack referred to gusts of up to 140 km/h during the 9.30 forecast on RTE 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Conor30 wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic, but that's a fear of thunder, not windstorms!:pac:

Anyone suffering from Brontophbia should seriously consider moving to east Galway. You'll never need to fear again! :mad:

Pressure within developing storm center on 18z fax down to 992 hPa, a drop of 9mb from that observed on the 12z analysis chart:

184314.PNG

Depression is now, meteorological speaking, in its mature stage and will begin to occlude shortly - that is, if it hasn't done so already. Bombing will now hence forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

184314.PNG

Depression is now, meteorological speaking, in its mature stage and will begin to occlude shortly - that is, if it hasn't done so already. Bombing will now hence forth.

THE FUSE IS LIT!

Boom.gif

Its coming up to 2355 so lets head over to Met Eireann for the very latest on Rte Radio 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

My god who was that doing the forecast on radio 1. sounded slightly like Jaap stam or even Stephen hawking lol and got cut off at the end, obviously went overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

I am going up North coast tomorrow after lunch to Portrush to take pics.

yr.no forecast for Malin Head:

184319.PNG
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Ulster/Malin_Head~2962718/

Going to be a great day for a spot of kite flying!

It was Harm Luijkx and he got cut of badly.

yr.no forecast for Malin Head:

Yr.no going for hurricane force for Malin?

0367_r8lk.gif

Official UKMO twitter account advised people in Scotland to check this page.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/advice/storm.html

Some points really jump out.
    ...If chimney stacks are tall and in poor condition, move beds away from areas directly below them...

The scary and not fun side of all this. I really hope everyone up north and in Scotland/N England stays safe tomorrow.

Yr.no going for hurricane force for Malin?

0367_r8lk.gif

That gif a little creepy :D

Seems in accordance with the actual HIRLAM model yr.no use. Looking at the hourly maps they have winds peaking sometime between noon and 3pm but potentially extending into the early evening:

Windspeed forecast for 1300hrs from yr.no for the north coast:

184322.PNG

This model has hurricane force winds at Malin for one hour in the early afternoon with bf 9 to storm 11 being more the norm.

This is going to very interesting to monitor tomorrow (though more interesting if you are going to get to actually experience it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Tory Island would be fun tomorrow, right in the centre of that hurricane force area

Schools in Inverclyde, Dunbartonshire, Argyll, W Highlands, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire and Renfewshire has been advised not to open tomorrow and others will be closed from lunchtime.

First time I can remember Scotland doing school closures ahead of a storm?

50 mph gust at Mace Head.

So it begins...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

50 mph gust at Mace Head.

So it begins...

Yeah, noticed the gusts have picked up here in the last hour, driving rain against the windows too. Should go to sleep but can't drag myself away from this.

Also, why does it always happen on a bin night? There'll be rubbish everywhere in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Don't know if it's related as I'm so far south, but the wind has really picked up down here in the last half an hour. howling down the chimney.

Gonne be a windy day tomorrow.

55mph gust reported at belmullet at 2.00am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yeah its howling down here in the kingdom at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Gust of 46kts in Belmullet and 47kts in Mace Head in the latest hourly reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Howling and gusting nicely here now. Definitely more along the lines of Casement's 25gust36 than Dublin Airport's 17 as of 03:00 met eireann reports.

And we're still hours away from the main event. I'm gonna open my window a bit and just lay and listen for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Highest gust at 3am showing on met is at MACE HEAD Gust 47.
    Winds and gusts have reduced here.....:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A handy Wind Conversion table i found a while back. Might be useful to some.

184329.jpg

0Z GFS has the storm tracking slightly further North. Scotland getting hammered.

184330.png

04.00 Reports Belmullet 49kts, Mace 48kts, Malin 46kts,Valentia 41kts, Dublin Airport 36kts, Cork Airport 36kts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

04.00 Reports Belmullet 49kts, Mace 48kts, Malin 46kts,Valentia 41kts, Dublin Airport 36kts, Cork Airport 36kts

The storm isn't supposed to hit till tomorrow afternoon??

Advertisement