Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth-like planet found

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

For anyone experiencing a little Déjà vu, this is the same kepler 22b that was unconfirmed back in 2009

wiki have a nice little scale comparison up:

960px-Kepler-22b_System_Diagram.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/Kepler-22b_System_Diagram.jpg/1280px-Kepler-22b_System_Diagram.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

They don't know what the planet is made up of yet. So we don't know if its rocky, gas or a waterworld. I'd say its a rocky world though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Plug wrote: »
    They don't know what the planet is made up of yet. So we don't know if its rocky, gas or a waterworld. I'd say its a rocky world though.
    Thats true, bit early yet to be calling it "Earth like" all we know is that it is within the habitable zone of the star. It's great to be alive at the time when we are at last finding new worlds:) We should be the first generation to confirm life beyond the Earth....fingers crossed:)

Heres just one of my posts I copied from after hours in relation to that new planet. 'But most of the planets found that are close to the parent star are small rocky worlds, not gas giants. That planet is 25% closer than we are. Now I said most and not all but there has been a good few gas giant planets found close to the host star. Another thing as well they said the planet is 2.4 times the size of earth. That would be a very small gas planet, possible the smallest ever. So my money is on a rocky world. Time will tell.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have been subscribed to tdarnell for a while now. Good videos!

Advertisement