Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good stocks and Broths?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

Other than making your own where do you get good quality stock and broth?

Lived abroad for while and got used to finding good low salt stocks and broths in cartons or frozen that used all the time. Here all I can find is the cube stuff most of which is not very good. The organic low sodium Kalo is about the best I have found so far.

So any other good options out there especially stocks/broths in cartons or frozen?

I know I should make my own and freeze!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I use the knor liquid chicken stock - but its quite salty. A little goes a long way. Not sure of any others.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I use the Marigold tubs of stock. You can use as little as one teaspoon. They are usually only veggie though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I got some nice fish-stock recently in Superquinn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I used a Knorr chicken stockpot yesterday evening and found it nice (or was that because I added a glass of wine and a cap of cognac? :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Loire wrote: »
    I used a Knorr chicken stockpot yesterday evening and found it nice (or was that because I added a glass of wine and a cap of cognac? :D )

The Knorr cubes just taste of salt and MSG to me so nervous about their new stockpots. I'd say your wine and brandy was the reason it was so good!

Might just start making my own and freezing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

BailMeOut wrote: »
    The Knorr cubes just taste of salt and MSG to me so nervous about their new stockpots. I'd say your wine and brandy was the reason it was so good!

The stockpots are better imo. Slightly less salty and once you don't add salt to the dish during cooking, it normally works well.

I use it in gravies alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BailMeOut wrote: »

Yes, the main flavour of those stock pots is salt alright but they do seem to be less salty than the cubes.
    I like to make my own stock but you'd be making stock daily if you were to never rely on the odd cube/pot.

Tesco used to do made up stocks on those plastic soup pouches - not sure if they still do. I think M&S do them too and I've seen fresh stock in one of the better Super Values (made in house).

I've seen fresh stock in one of the better Super Values (made in house).

That's what I need! Will check local SuperValue when there next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Forgive my ignorance, but apart from making soups with them, what other "everyday" uses are there for stocks..ie how do ye use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Loire wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but apart from making soups with them, what other "everyday" uses are there for stocks..ie how do ye use them?

Sauces, stews, casseroles, stir frys, poaching - anywhere you want liquid and flavour.

• Advertisement

Sauces, stews, casseroles, stir frys, poaching - anywhere you want liquid and flavour.

+ so many more including gravy, all rice dishes (risotto, paella, mexican rice, jambalaya), fondant potatoes, curry, etc... It's one the important cooking ingredient and I think it is one of the the first things you learn how to cook properly in a culinary school. Veal stock being the stock of all stocks!

Maybe there is a gap in the market here for a good fresh stock product in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I picked up a Heston tip for clarifying stock and tried it last weekend. Simply freeze the stock then allow to defrost in colander lined with muslin over a bowl. The result is the clearest, brightest stock you could want. First time I tried it, my frozen block of stock took an age to melt. So now I freeze it in a tray and defrost it over a large perforated tray. It's very easy if left overnight. Why do this? I wanted a consomme for a variation on this

Advertisement