Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Brendan O Connor an embarrassment?

• 06-12-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

a failed comedian, a journalist or no great merit and now a chat show host lacking tact and finesse. he claims to be nervous and overcomes this bullzing some of his guests.
    apparently he kicked off the show on saturday night with 'ze Germans' jokes. whats next making slanty eyes and mimicking the chinnese? it was funny in the way it was tasteless to an offensive extent.
    he did not stop there though, feeling the need to mock an italian chefs English pronunciation, which neither the chef nor audience found very funny.

while not wanting to sound prudish his use of swear words while interviewing guests does not come across as very professional.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Fuinseog wrote: »
    feeling the need to mock an italian chefs English pronunciation, which neither the chef nor audience found very funny.

Yep, I found that particularly distasteful aswell. An utterly lame attempt at humor.

He's got a personality that needs a ten step programme, and a face that would 100% frighten a child. Why dear lord is he on tv?... Ah wait a second, I forgot, it's Ireland.. He know's someone...

A talentless ogre that I despise on many levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I wish he was reading this right now, he probably thinks the nation loves him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

He's awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the sindo loves him and that is all that counts. that gay chap Donal something seems to sing his praises.

Mr.Success wrote: »
    He's awful

awful interviewing minor Irish celebrities is one thing, but he might get a serious VIP from abroad on the show and then the country looks stupid.
    I was sure he was going to crack a few jokes interviewing the family of the suicide victim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yerraya

I gotta say I really like the show! (Though I did think the Gino D'acampo moment wasn't his best) I love really enjoy his independent articles...they crack me up!!! I think he's hilarious anyway maybe its just a matter of taste in humour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Is there no beginning to the man's talents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Sorry to go against this but I like o'connor . I think he's ten times better than tubridy

Sorry to go against this but I like o'connor . I think he's ten times better than tubridy

much of a muchness really. one is irritating, the other obnoxious. perhaps you could you elaborate.

apparently he was into debating in his youth and was also a member of UCC philosophical society, things you would hardly believe when you see him interviewing.
    he was also a pop star at some stage.
    according to Wikepedia he is a Fianna Fail supporter, but had a falling out with bertie.

"His controversial interview with Michael Barrymore brought him to the attention of the British press.[28][29] His interview with Oliver Callan, during which the impressionist announced he was gay, brought him to the attention of the international press." wikipedia.

could someone elaborate on what happened here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

If a 'pop star' consists of having a minor hit where he took the p1ss out of priests, then I suppose he is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

I used to work in the Chancery early house part-time. He was barred, can't say why but he's a knob, take it from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Disco George Murphy

Mr.Success wrote: »
    He's awful

I completely agree with you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Apparently he's front runner to be the next editor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I saw him being exceptionally rude to Nicky Clarke the English hairdresser trying to insinuate that he was gay - it was a total shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

daRobot wrote: »

Made my day. How this man has carved out any sort of career for himself...the mind boggles. Only in Ireland. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

A complete muppet. He's the guy who proclaims to be funny and sits in bed reading crap jokebooks and regurgitating the lameness in a public forum.

My question: Why is this only coming up now? He's been a knob for years.

If he wants to slag a hairdresser by insinuating he's gay, he might want to ask himself why he's so eager to dress up as a woman for is awful 'Mrs. Brown's Boy's'*. My God, that's horrendous.

*I know dressing up as a woman doesn't necessarily make you gay, but...ya know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Bad Panda wrote: »
    A complete muppet. He's the guy who proclaims to be funny and sits in bed reading crap jokebooks and regurgitating the lameness in a public forum.

If he wants to slag a hairdresser by insinuating he's gay, he might want to ask himself why he's so eager to dress up as a woman for is awful 'Mrs. Brown's Boy's'*. My God, that's horrendous.

Wrong Brendan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭gifted

Ashamed to say that the muppet is from Cork, a proper LANGER!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Think thats Brendan O'Carroll!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

A complete muppet. He's the guy who proclaims to be funny and sits in bed reading crap joke books and regurgitating the lameness in a public forum.

This post gave me a smile this morning :) Thanks.

My own opinion on BOC is he is not the worst on RTE1 and some of his guests are good and in many cases better than the LLS, Re him writing in the Sunday Independent don't buy it anymore him being one of the many reasons as why.He also knows of his image in the public's mind cue his mace Tv ads where he frightens little babies :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

I think he's like Marmite, you either love him or hate him.

Personally I like his show alot, I know his style can rub people up the wrong way and he's a bit of a tit but at least he'll ask ballsey questions with his guests unlike that waste of space tubs.

His smarmy sense of humour and greasy hairstyle has me pissing myself any saturday night I see his show.

As for the indo article, If anyone and I mean anyone was taking advice from O'Connor or The independent on property and economics in 2007 then I have no sympathy for them whatsoever.

jdivision wrote: »
    Apparently he's front runner to be the next editor

that will never happen. even for the Sindo, which used to be a good newspaper about twenty years ago, he is too boorish.
    in terms of dress sense he seems to wear the same suit every time he does his dreadful talkshow. does RTE not give him a clothing allowance?
    to his credit he used to be rather pudgy but shed a few pounds.

daRobot wrote: »
    He's got a personality that needs a ten step programme, and a face that would 100% frighten a child. Why dear lord is he on tv?

Someone with a face like his would want to have a sense of humor, but his humor is just ridiculous. Turns me off.

Someone with a face like his would want to have a sense of humor, but his humor is just ridiculous. Turns me off.

there is a reason why he did not quite make it as a comedian.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    there is a reason why he did not quite make it as a comedian.

And for me that reason is because he is simply NOT funny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Brendan - hope you're reading this.

You c*nt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Think thats Brendan O'Carroll!

In fairness they are both tossers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

juan.kerr wrote: »
    In fairness they are both tossers.

don't forget Brendan Kilkenny. Another prick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    don't forget Brendan Kilkenny. Another prick.

I've seen him around Dublin I think. Didn't even know he was a 'celebrity'.

Advertisement