Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Brendan O Connor an embarrassment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I've seen him around Dublin I think. Didn't even know he was a 'celebrity'.

he isn't a celebrity unless barry egan decrees it so. now to google the dude

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

A bit cringe worthy to be honest. You would almost wonder how he got he presenting slot in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

rte must have some kind of cork quota, seriously

people are coming around to him!

name an rte presenter that doesn't evoke rage in 50% of the population

late late is gone to the dogs too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

A complete twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Thought he was good on 'Don't feed the Gondolas' as a team captain. His discomfort being the main man in front of the camera is actually palpable, which is why I think he was ok when he was just 'one of the guys' on DFTG. He was awful at presenting it. Whatever the opinions are of the man himself, I don't think anyone can objectively say he's a good anchor/host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Disco George Murphy

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    A complete twat.

Agreed!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭jmcc

A bit cringe worthy to be honest. You would almost wonder how he got he presenting slot in the first place.
    Gerry Ryan died and the UPC guy didn't connect with the audience.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Was there such a time where he got aggressive with Louis Walsh on film by saying a lot of bad language to him. And then, when he interviews him on TSNS, he is all nice and friendly to him.

I can't remember the name of the film BTW, But is does beggars belief why he does bad acting jobs.

There is a positive when he interviewed the girl who has down syndrome, Aimee Richardson. I thought she was very a interesting and inspirational young lady being interviewed by Brendan IMO.

He does have a baby girl with down syndrome. The recent RTE Guide had said he had a tough time over the past year. Even though the first season of TSNS was successful, he didn't really enjoy it.

Was there such a time where he got aggressive with Louis Walsh on film by saying a lot of bad language to him. And then, when he interviews him on TSNS, he is all nice and friendly to him.

I can't remember the name of the film BTW, But is does beggars belief why he does bad acting jobs.

There is a positive when he interviewed the girl who has down syndrome, Aimee Richardson. I thought she was very a interesting and inspirational young lady being interviewed by Br
    He does have a baby girl with down syndrome. The recent RTE Guide had said he had a tough time over the past year. Even though the first season of TSNS was successful, he didn't really enjoy it.

brendan swears a lot on his show. perhaps the first host to do so and really lowers the tone.if he could not swear he would stand there nervously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

He got a TV show after the Sindo ran a number of pieces questioning why he didn't have a TV show. Pat Leahy in the Biz Post a few years back noticed the way they kept going on about it and ran a snipped on back page about it.

• Advertisement

jdivision wrote: »
    He got a TV show after the Sindo ran a number of pieces questioning why he didn't have a TV show. Pat Leahy in the Biz Post a few years back noticed the way they kept going on about it and ran a snipped on back page about it.

the good old Sindo backslapping.
    I am surprised his picture has not appeared in the 'sack the stylist' part of the magazine. same grey suit every time.
    the casual look does not work with that kind of three piece.

The hair gel makes him look as if he is going for a few pints. many thing will said about the guy but he will never be called professional. as I said in the previous post he tends to swear a lot for that he can appeal 'cool' to the younger crowd, but few young people stay in on a Saturday night to watch a talk show designed for the older generation or maybe the volume is turned up in the pub for his painfully awkward 'jokes'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I have to say I didn't like him at the beginning, probably started after his first interview with Twink and Linda Martin when he made cruel jokes about their age. They were definitely offended by his comments but fair play to them they carried on in good spirit for the rest of the interview as I guess they were aware that it was good publicity for them regardless, just to get the exposure.

But I have to say that if there's one good thing about the show it's the stand-up comedy part at the beginning. The rest of it, no. Still watch it more often than Ryan Tubridy on the Late Late, who has utterly ruined it for me. Further, he is constantly saying and is partly responsible for this impression that Irish people are begrudgers, which is not the case at all, and that seems to be how he rationalizes people's resentment of his up on half a million euro a year salary.

pog it wrote: »
    Still watch it more often than Ryan Tubridy on the Late Late.

Anyone who thinks O'Connor is better than Tubridy is insane!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Anyone who thinks O'Connor is better than Tubridy is insane!!!

Lots has been written about Tubridy as it is and he's not popular. He had to leave Twitter because of the messages people were leaving him.

pog it wrote: »
    he's not popular.

But at least he's a nice fella!!! O'Connor is a b***ard!!!

there are no lows for this guy. His humour is that of a cornerboy, come guttersnipe, who appears to have only one suit and shirt. He is definitely the crudest of RTEs 'stars'.
    I hope the muslim community object to his crude slr on tehri religion and Daniel O Donell does something about it as well.

He starts talking about Rory McIlroy and then brings out his first girlfriend. absolutely irrelevant. When is anyone famous going to come onto the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Skepticism

Very much so.

He's failed as a journalist, failed as a comedian, failed at everything he's tried in his life. "The Saturday Night Show" is a disgrace. He relies on taking sly digs at his guests to try and gain viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Any chat-show host who begins questions incessantly with "C'mere", "So, tell me" etc take a break and watch some real professionals do the job.

As for his Sindo pieces . . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Everybody, without exception, who works for O'Reilly/Independent Newspapers is an embarrassment to intelligent, cultured and decent Irish people.

They are *all* conceited, back-slapping me-feiner arseholes, the dregs of journalism, the dregs of a progressive society. It's a horrible, incestuous, corporate culture under the God that is Anthony O'Reilly. By any rational, objective criteria, Independent Newspapers under the control of a super rich tax exile who has extensive business interests to defend and advance across this society is a threat to the democracy of this small state.

O'Connor has this show for political reasons, as somebody hinted earlier: by giving work to Independent Newspapers' people RTE will get more positive coverage from O'Reilly's wide array of rags. It is as depressingly simple as that.

God Save Ireland.

finally he has a new suit, albeit a darker shade of grey. He had georgia salpa on, whom he constantly reminded that it was he who started writing about her in the sindo. he also had an old man on who had sex in recent times. stirring stuff. he never loses the chance for a cheap laugh. Magda the Pole wants to become a masseur nudge nudge wink wink. You would have thought he would not mentioned the topic considering the mess his sister paper made of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

You may have missed it just now but I have seen Brendan O'Connor in the new Mace ad. You or I might see it later while I'm watching the Rugby now.

You may have missed it just now but I have seen Brendan O'Connor in the new Mace ad. You or I might see it later while I'm watching the Rugby now.

have seen it. at least he appreciates self depreciation. he smiles his gargoyle smile at a baby who bursts into tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'm not one for jumping on bandwagons, but last week's show in particular was just a car crash from start to finish.

From a TV production point of view, this guy was virtually un-produceable. I watch the show regularly, never find it to be note-worthingly good, but when it's bad it's just seriously embarrassing.

His crude humour was in overdrive last week, joking repeatedly about that Operation Transformation guy leaving his wife now that he's lost weight, something 'going on' between him and the teenage girl on the panel etc etc...then his complete incompetence when interviewing that Reservoir Dogs actor really showed. Granted to say he was a tad eccentric would be an understatement, but any professional host would have been able to reign him in and prevent the ridiculously long and weird cringefest at the end when yer man started reading an obscure poem and completely isolated the audience in the process.

I've also noticed that he regularly talks over his guests and his line of questioning with guests is all over the place, really frustrating to watch and reduced to innuendo at any opportunity.

I guess he's in the teething stage of his TV career, but usually when networks 'take a chance' on someone it's usually because their charm/charisma/likeability outlines their potential. I'm not sure how this guy qualifies at all on any of those fronts tbh.

he has probably had no training as a host. neither has someone like Craig Doyle, though the latter is somewhat amiable and does not need to be crude every minute.
    Tubs has his critics but at least he has studied how to moderate a show instead of being plonked in front of the camera and learning by doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

I quite like him as a journo, don't always agree with him but I can find his articles interesting at times,sometimes even funny

However I can not under any circumstances watch him on television:eek:.

I have tried many,many times.
    You know 'ah sure there's nothing else on' or 'maybe someone interesting will be on' or even 'have a glass of wine and see what he's on about tonight ' :D.
    Nope he's still terrible under any and all circumstances .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Is he an embarrassment? Probably. But you need to understand that he is the Niall O'Tobáin for the new millenium. The Ultimate Corkman. The Über-Langer, if you will! :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    he is the Niall O'Tobáin for the new millenium.

Are you joking (no pun intended)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Are you joking (no pun intended)?
    Sadly, no. And happily, yes. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just to defend brendan re the comments at start of thread about making fun of Gino, the chef. I saw that chef on BBC Saturday kitchen shortly after his appearance on the Saturday night show and the same routine was acted out with the play on the word beach etc. We can therefore assume it was not rudeness on o Connors behalf, more a set piece joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mumblesalot101

He's an offence to decency and good taste! That and a smug idiot! remember seeing a clip on the news a few years back where he started heckling a reclaim the streets protest about how they were loudly, obnoxiously forcing themselves down an uncaring publics throats (or some such), pots, kettles black teapots?

Advertisement