Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law in college..what's it like?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My first time posting so I'm not sure if I've posted in the right forum! Sorry..

I've always wanted to be a solicitor NOT a barrister though :L I'm not into public speaking and that sort of thing but I genuinely love law so I figured being a solicitor would be the best option. I plan on doing Law in college as well, but recently I wondered if there were mandatory debates in college..or any compulsory public speaking things if I was to do law?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Theres mooting, which is mini trials. TBH there are no courses without public speaking, lot of presentations. Its a good skill to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

FcukRain wrote: »
    My first time posting so I'm not sure if I've posted in the right forum! Sorry..

I've always wanted to be a solicitor NOT a barrister though :L I'm not into public speaking and that sort of thing but I genuinely love law so I figured being a solicitor would be the best option. I plan on doing Law in college as well, but recently I wondered if there were mandatory debates in college..or any compulsory public speaking things if I was to do law?
    Look, i'm honestly not trying to sound cynical or anything but if you can't imagine yourself doing Public Speaking/debates etc. Law is not the course for you. My Mother and her 2 Sisters are Solicitors (whom all studied Law in College) and believe me, they are able to debate and argue..

Public Speaking really isn't all that difficult, you probably have never had a chance to properly experience it. She if there's any Junior Political Parties in your area if that floats your boat or maybe Toast Masters (I think it's spelt ) is supposed to be good also!

However, don't let this discourage you. Go for what you think you would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FcukRain

Well I don't mind arguing..I'm just not so keen on the Public Speaking part. I get really bad stage fright. I've never had enough experience either. I took part in mock trials, because I'm really interested in Law. But I was a solicitor so I kinda got away with not talking :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

If you do Law and a language in UCC (Irish or French), then Moot Court in your fourth (final) year isn't a module that you can study. For people studying straight Law, it's obligatory in their third year (Law and languages do an extra year, so third for straight is the equivalent of fourth for languages).
    Look, i'm honestly not trying to sound cynical or anything but if you can't imagine yourself doing Public Speaking/debates etc. Law is not the course for you. My Mother and her 2 Sisters are Solicitors (whom all studied Law in College) and believe me, they are able to debate and argue..

Public Speaking really isn't all that difficult, you probably have never had a chance to properly experience it. She if there's any Junior Political Parties in your area if that floats your boat or maybe Toast Masters (I think it's spelt ) is supposed to be good also!

However, don't let this discourage you. Go for what you think you would like.

You don't necessarily have to or want to be a good public speaker to justify doing law. Many solicitors would never see a court room - all their work is done behind the scenes. I agree that all good solicitors have to be good at debating/arguing, however that could be done written, as opposed to spoken. You could be a nervous public speaker, but writing, on your own, you could argue your points very well and articulately. In saying that, it can undoubtedly improve your career.

Also, being a barrister or a solicitor aren't the only job prospects for law graduates. There's teaching, administration, translation (if you do law with a language), politics, journalism, IT etc. There's a whole range of career paths you can choose to pursue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FcukRain

Thanks, I was having panic attacks thinking I'd never be able to Law :L

• Advertisement
Advertisement