Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle as present - UK -> Ireland, logistical challenge.

Options
  • 06-12-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Some help needed from Kindle experts please :)

I want to my Mum a Kindle for Christmas but I understand that there is great difficulty in accessing the UK Kindle store from a Kindle registered in Ireland.

I intend to buy the Kindle here, register it in my Mum's name, email address and Credit Card and then bring it home with me at Christmas. Will that work? Will the fact it was bought in the UK, delivered to a UK address, stop Amazon getting worried when an Irish Card is used constantly to download books from an irish IP address?

Thoughts, recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Am not a Kindle expert,for starters.
    But would it not be easier to register it for her after you've given it to her? just in case there is an issue considering it's to be used in Ireland.

I got one last Christmas as a gift-I already had an account with amazon.com-(not .co.uk as sometimes there are problems buying particular books from uk website.) so it was ready to go.

All the info you require is in the user's guide on the kindle anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_k3start_reg?nodeId=200505460&#reg

Just checked on my kindle -www.amazon.com if in US or countries other than UK,so I'd imagine it'd be easier to do all this once you've given it to her.
    Great present,hope she enjoys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

It's not about where you buy the Kindle, it's about where you're buying the books from. If you're buying the books from Ireland, you have to use .com. You could chance it with the UK address but I've read about a lot of users getting emails asking them to prove they're in the UK or move to .com. I've had no problems with the .com store anyway. There have only been a few (out of hundreds) of books that haven't been available to me and I find most of the prices are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

flyaway. wrote: »
    There have only been a few (out of hundreds) of books that haven't been available to me and I find most of the prices are fine.
    Are they in US spelling though? I'm sure they are...defense, pediatric, favor etc.

I write using both US and UK English for my clients but when I read I like to read UK spelling and I know that for my Mum, US spelling would be a huge distraction and lessen her enjoyment of the books.

I want her to be able to purchase from the UK store, hence my query here.

Perhaps I should just register it in my name, that way I can prove UK residence by sending them copies of utility bills etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Perhaps I should just register it in my name, that way I can prove UK residence by sending them copies of utility bills etc.
    I think that might be the way to go. You can always have your Mum's credit card account on your Amazon account.

I haven't tried to get around the Ireland/.com tie, though I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some way.

ETA: Check out this post in the gadgets forum... I think your way is better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

I think that might be a real problem if you ever get your own Kindle. I don't think you can have two Kindles on one account.

I've bought two as gifts - and then they come without being linked to my Amazon account. The new owner then registers them, though that will limit your mother to .com if she's in Ireland.

I've bought real books from Amazon.com, US spellings included, and they only jar for a few minutes and then I find I ignore them. I was reading a book by an American author recently, and US spellings appeared in the local edition here.

• Advertisement

nompere wrote: »
    I think that might be a real problem if you ever get your own Kindle. I don't think you can have two Kindles on one account.
    Oh! Good point, I actually have the Kindle app on my iPad as well as Kindle Cloud Reader. Hmm, I might have scuppered myself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭grizzcol2

nompere wrote: »

There's no problem with having more than one kindle on an Amazon account...I currently have 2 registered on the one account and post xmas will have 4...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

I'm happy to be put right.

Just checked the Kindle US store and after only two searches found some books that aren't on the Kindle Store in the US but ARE on the Kindle store in the UK.

FFS! :mad:

Ah well...

Hmmm, so I can buy a Kindle from the UK and my Mum can register it on Amazon.com and buy books from there right? That way I can at least avoid having to buy a power converter...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Just checked the Kindle US store and after only two searches found some books that aren't on the Kindle Store in the US but ARE on the Kindle store in the UK.

FFS! :mad:

Ah well...

Hmmm, so I can buy a Kindle from the UK and my Mum can register it on Amazon.com and buy books from there right? That way I can at least avoid having to buy a power converter...

Yes. It's no problem. The same account will do both the US and UK sites. However, gift vouchers are only reconcilable on the site on which they are issued, so if anyone is looking to buy a voucher for your mum to buy books to go along with her new Kindle, get them from the .com site only.

BTW, you can now buy the Kindle in Tesco and Currys.

Mine did not come with a power source other than an USB cable

• Advertisement
Advertisement