Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ways to avoid paying the €100 Property Tax

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

I'll gladly pay the 100 euro a year towards the existing pension of my acquantance, the 49 year old retired Guard on 40,000 a year pension. The poor lad was never the brightest ( pass leaving cert ) or the hardest working, and he can do with the few quid to pay someone to maintain his golfing holiday villa in Portugal.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

gigino wrote: »
    I'll gladly pay the 100 euro a year towards the existing pension of my acquantance, the 49 year old retired Guard on 40,000 a year pension. The poor lad was never the brightest ( pass leaving cert ) or the hardest working, and he can do with the few quid to pay someone to maintain his golfing holiday villa in Portugal.

Good news, the household charge will not be put towards his pension.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2011/7411/b7411s.pdf

Financial Implications of the Bill
    The Bill has no direct financial implications for the Exchequer as
    the revenue from the €100 household charge will be lodged to the
    Local Government Fund out of which funding will be provided by
    the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local
    Government to local authorities in the form of General-Purpose
    Grants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tayla wrote: »
    I'm not saying we wouldn't need to borrow money if we didn't have the bank debt, i'm saying that we would have to and people would be much more likely to lend to us than they are now.

I suppose it is debatable up to this year. This years and next years deficit are nearly all down to current spending, very little bank spending and the markets are charging over 8% knowing this.
    Yes I know they did,Greece practically committed fraud to get into the euro, it wa so just because Greece and Portugal had to get bailed out even though they didn't bail out their banks means we would have too.

We were running similar deficits ignoring banks. Portugals might even have been less.
    No they wouldn't have been grand, they would have been a lot more manageable though, we would have had more options.

More manageable obviously but we'd still have a huge deficit and undergoing austerity with markets copping there'll be little growth for the foreseeable future.
    Then explain how most other countries in the world who are in a bad financial situation manage to get loans?

Bigger countries tend to manage fine due to their size, the UK a good example, Spain and Italy are on the brink despite their size, smaller not so well, Latvia and Hungary outside the Euro have had the IMF in. Once it goes above 6% it becomes unrealistic.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget-deficit-is-worst-in-eu-at-five-times-the-limit-2391621.html

Yes but we won't back out on the unsecured bank debt, no reason to pay it at all but they still insist on paying it without even as much as a logical explanation.

Indeed, that's 3 parties in Government that have or are paying them, 2 parties that said they wouldn't.
    I wouldn't believe a word Joan or any of them say, even if we can't not back up on the total bank debt, it's odious debt, it wasn't our debt to pay and the IMF and EU knew that when they lent to us.

Well she's right, I thought you'd have agreed with her seeing as she's agreeing with your position. Anglo owed the Irish Central Bank Billions and we are now basically paying our own Central Bank from a Government bank, which is being wound down. The problem is when a country uses its sovereignty to guarantee bondholders and bank debt against all prudent advice, its very hard to do an Andy and Lou from Little Britain and say "I don't want that one."

The priority of the EU and IMF at the time was to actually get to the bottom of the bank pit, mainly because nobody could trust our Government or regulator any more on bank figures, bit like Greece on its economic figures. Incompetency does that, nobody trusts you anymore.

Anyway this money is going towards a deficit in local Government funding due to the Government cutting their money. It simply isn't true to say this is going on banks. The vast majority is going on welfare and PS pay and to maintain services, the Government is asking you to make up the difference.

Tbh they should have just increased income tax but there's an aversion to doing that and pretend everything is grand as long as you leave them alone.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I'd gladly pay €100 per year towards a "beat up chuggers" tax.

You almost sold the concept of more taxes to me in a far more persuasive way than anyone else before. However then I realized that I am already paying for this service in existing taxes without receiving anything in return. All while pathetic self castrated government blames the lack of legalized chuggercide on the EU like everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Good news, the household charge will not be put towards his pension.

Financial Implications of the Bill
    The Bill has no direct financial implications for the Exchequer as
    the revenue from the €100 household charge will be lodged to the
    Local Government Fund out of which funding will be provided by
    the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local
    Government to local authorities in the form of General-Purpose
    Grants.

But then there is far too much wastage happening in the LAs. An example here in Galway where I am from are the roundabout. The roundabouts are being dug up to be replaced with traffic light junctions when the roundabouts were working just fine. We do have a traffic problem in the city but that's more to do with poor public transport in the county. The upgrades of the junctions are not going to fix the traffic congestion problem.

Money is spent in the wrong ways IMO. Galway city will have new junctions while the roads around the county for the most part are made up with potholes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

K-9 wrote: »

More manageable obviously but we'd still have a huge deficit and undergoing austerity with markets copping there'll be little growth for the foreseeable future.

The thing is that austerity wouldn't be as bad if we felt it was for our own good, when the government decided to cripple us with billion and billions of extra debt which wasn't ours to pay. I don't want to have to keep bringing up the unsecured bondholders in every single thread about the government but another poster was saying basically that everyone should stop going on about it and just pay the property tax, I don't agree and I'm never going to agree because it's a complete injustice. It just pisses me off when people who have a good reason not to want to pay the property tax are just told to get on with it.
    Bigger countries tend to manage fine due to their size, the UK a good example, Spain and Italy are on the brink despite their size, smaller not so well, Latvia and Hungary outside the Euro have had the IMF in. Once it goes above 6% it becomes unrealistic.

Yes but I'm talking about seperating our 'real' sovereign debt from the odious bank debt.

Indeed, that's 3 parties in Government that have or are paying them, 2 parties that said they wouldn't.

It's just infuriating because every time any of them are asked about it they just say oh we have to pay because of the agreement but they offer up no proof of any agreement and they say we have to to rebuild our reputation. A reputation of being suckers? What other country in their right mind would have taken that on?

Well she's right, I thought you'd have agreed with her seeing as she's agreeing with your position. Anglo owed the Irish Central Bank Billions and we are now basically paying our own Central Bank from a Government bank, which is being wound down. The problem is when a country uses its sovereignty to guarantee bondholders and bank debt against all prudent advice, its very hard to do an Andy and Lou from Little Britain and say "I don't want that one."

I can't even listen to Joan talk about it, she clings on to the same line every single time....it's 3 years later and whenever it's brought up she says that labour were the only party who were opposed and SF were in favour in the first place.

It might be hard but it can't be impossible surely, has this been done before? Has a country ever done this? How can a spur of the minute decision by a couple of people bind a whole nation to that forever?
    Anyway this money is going towards a deficit in local Government funding due to the Government cutting their money. It simply isn't true to say this is going on banks. The vast majority is going on welfare and PS pay and to maintain services, the Government is asking you to make up the difference.

The €160 million may not be necessarily be going straight from our pockets to the banks but at the end of the day they're taking from us and giving to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I don't have to assume anything. The act is already in law and will take effect on 1 January 2012. Unless Joe Higgins can persuade another 70 TD's to abolish it no amount of political campaiging will change the fact that any charges outstanding remain attached to the property and will be collected eventually. CAHWT won't be able to help people selling a house or inheriting one cut through the inevitable legal nightmare will result from people not paying.

The campaign is only just beginning and you re assuming its gonna fail, that,s very self defeatist, when the water rates were abolished it didn,t take 70 tds to get it abolished, mass non payment and people power got the water rates abolished, all the polls I have seen the vast majority have no Intention of paying, the goverment knows this, that,s why they re making threats towards people via fines, public opinion is against the household charge and fine gael know this.

There is also talk and rumour if you don,t register, the goverment will find out what homes are in peoples names via through esb database, while Im not gonna claim to be an expert on law, There is the data protection act to protect people from an intrusion such as this, how are they going to get around that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Please think of the poor billionaire secret bondholder (perhaps its Bertie, or Seanie, or Fingers or Paddy de Plasterer, Dunner, or another such golden circle chum) depending on your household tax this Christmas. Adopt a secret bondholder and donate your money with gratefulness to him. He will raise a glass to you while lying on his private tax exempt Caribbean island beach as you pay for his iced cocktail. For every €100 of your money, he will temporarily name the cocktail he is currently drinking after your house. You'll have to wait for the septic tank tax before you can have the honour of paying for one of his golden dumps, and before he flushes it, he will name it after you and chuckle to himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Please think of the poor public service pensioner depending on your household tax this Christmas. Adopt a secret 49 year old retired Garda on 40 k pension and donate your money with gratefulness to him. He will raise a glass to you while lying on his beach as you pay for his iced cocktail. For every €100 of your money, he will temporarily name the cocktail he is currently drinking after your house.

fixed that for you.

There are a lot more gravy public sector pensioners. As Eddie Hobbs said, the public sector pension fund is a long term cost of 120 billion ( or something like that) on everyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

just dont pay it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

fixed that for you.

In other words, when you're too cowardly to go after vested intrest billionaires, you can use it as a pathetically cowardly and jelous excuse to go after ordinary fellow employees and taxpayers in yet another twisted spin and misrepresentation. Tell it to the local Guard next time you ring him begging for assistance, or tell it to the next local Nurse that has to wipe the slabbers from your auld wans mouth.
    There are a lot more gravy public sector pensioners. As Eddie Hobbs said, the public sector pension fund is a long term cost of 120 billion ( or something like that) on everyone else.

Would this be the exact same Eddie Hobbs that convinced hundreds of innocent people to borrow hundreds of thousands, put it along with their life savings, and 'buy' his 'luxury' unfinished developments on some unheard of backwater called 'Cape Verde' as 'investments' and while the taxpayer looks after Eddie via SCAMA - ? LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jealous or what.

Loads of untruths in this post.
    I actually rang a Garda I know and asked him if they can retire at 49. Answer - NO, they have to have 30 years worked and also be a minimum of 50 years of age. I asked him if they would get 40 grand pension and he laughed. His will be about 27 grand when he retires in 4 years time.

So Gigino I will be paying NO HEED to anything you post in future as you will post any kind of tripe just to make your point.
    It was bad enough demeaning someone's Leaving Cert and level of intelligence but the lie about his age and pension caught you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Loads of untruths in this post.
    I actually rang a Garda I know and asked him if they can retire at 49. Answer - NO, they have to have 30 years worked and also be a minimum of 50 years of age. I asked him if they would get 40 grand pension and he laughed. His will be about 27 grand when he retires in 4 years time.

Is it possible to ring yourself?

mikom wrote: »

If you have two phones but answering back could get you signed in somewhere.
    I am not a Garda.I do know a few however and none of them can retire at 49. Why people have to lie and exaggerate to try and make points is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tayla wrote: »
    The thing is that austerity wouldn't be as bad if we felt it was for our own good, when the government decided to cripple us with billion and billions of extra debt which wasn't ours to pay. I don't want to have to keep bringing up the unsecured bondholders in every single thread about the government but another poster was saying basically that everyone should stop going on about it and just pay the property tax, I don't agree and I'm never going to agree because it's a complete injustice. It just pisses me off when people who have a good reason not to want to pay the property tax are just told to get on with it.

But it's largely for our own good. About €800 Million of the €13.6 Billion deficit for next year will be bank for interest on the bank debt. €45 Billion of our debt is bank related, total debt is about €120 Billion and rising. I'm not disagreeing with you btw, but it gets far too much focus.

I don't agree with local Government funding being cut myself as its been cut for years against recommendations.

Yes but I'm talking about seperating our 'real' sovereign debt from the odious bank debt.

It would help but not near as much as people think. Doesn't mean it isn't worth doing but the exchequer deficit is now the persistent problem seeing as we seem to have finally reached the bottom of the bank pit.

It's just infuriating because every time any of them are asked about it they just say oh we have to pay because of the agreement but they offer up no proof of any agreement and they say we have to to rebuild our reputation. A reputation of being suckers? What other country in their right mind would have taken that on?

I can't even listen to Joan talk about it, she clings on to the same line every single time....it's 3 years later and whenever it's brought up she says that labour were the only party who were opposed and SF were in favour in the first place.

Yes but I said Joan Burton was explaining how they are going to try and not pay a lot of the bondholder debt next year and you kind of dismissed that. They've given hits to junior bondholder so I don't know why the reluctance now.
    It might be hard but it can't be impossible surely, has this been done before? Has a country ever done this? How can a spur of the minute decision by a couple of people bind a whole nation to that forever?

If it becomes completely unaffordable like Greece well there'll have to be a hit. As far as I know no other country had a guarantee to that extent. Its a scandal that they ignored civil service advice and listened to David McWilliams more but it was passed in the Dail, that's the system of government we have.

The €160 million may not be necessarily be going straight from our pockets to the banks but at the end of the day they're taking from us and giving to them.

The money is already paid over and has actually come in under the IMF/EU fund. Amazing what sending in people to actually find out the extent of the problem can do, you end up over estimating the debt rather than continuosly under estimating it. Your paying it through the interest bill which isn't anywhere near the deficit figure which is the real reason for the tax increases and spending cuts.

I'm not disagreeing with you but this "its the banks fault" line isn't true. Its part of it but nowhere near the extent so many people want it to be.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I am not a Garda.I do know a few however and none of them can retire at 49. Why people have to lie and exaggerate to try and make points is beyond me.

Its Gigino! Has to be 35 years for full pension?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Am Chile wrote: »
    The campaign is only just beginning and you re assuming its gonna fail, that,s very self defeatist, when the water rates were abolished it didn,t take 70 tds to get it abolished, mass non payment and people power got the water rates abolished, all the polls I have seen the vast majority have no Intention of paying, the goverment knows this, that,s why they re making threats towards people via fines, public opinion is against the household charge and fine gael know this.

There is also talk and rumour if you don,t register, the goverment will find out what homes are in peoples names via through esb database, while Im not gonna claim to be an expert on law, There is the data protection act to protect people from an intrusion such as this, how are they going to get around that?

No need to depend on talk and rumour and while I'm no expert on law either I think they have it covered here.

Section 14 deals with data sharing and exchange and provides that
    relevant persons shall provide information requested by local
    authorities for the purposes of local authority functions. Local
    authorities may also provide information to the Revenue
    Commissioners to assist them in carrying out their functions. A local
    authority shall provide information it has obtained pursuant to the
    household charge to a Minister, local authority or a prescribed
    person for the purpose of enabling that person perform their
    functions. The purpose of this provision is to enable local authorities
    to have access to data to assist them in identifying properties that
    may be liable for the charge. For example, the Private Residential
    Tenancies Board maintains a register of tenancies of rental
    properties, and the Revenue Commissioners hold data inter alia
    relating to property transactions. The ESB hold data in relation to
    the amount of electricity consumed by domestic users, and some of
    this data may be useful in identifying properties which may be liable
    for the household charge. The Minister for Social Protection holds
    data in relation to persons who are qualified for receipt of mortgage
    interest supplement which is necessary for the purposes of
    verification of claims made for a waiver under subsection 4(a) of
    section 4.

Its Gigino! Has to be 35 years for full pension?

I thought you can retire early on some kind of pension from the Guards if you are successful with a disability claim . Bad back etc ?

• Advertisement

psychward wrote: »
    I thought you can retire early on some kind of pension from the Guards if you are successful with a disability claim . Bad back etc ?

Maybe, but with a full pension?

Maybe, but with a full pension?

Probably at least most of it. Especially if you got your bad back in the line of duty lifting a heavy pen to write a ticket :P
    I wonder how many scams like this are pulled ? It must be at least in line with the rest of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 taytobasher

Hi all,

I've recently moved to Co. Roscommon from England. I wanted to list some of the main reasons for why I left England:

1. Council Tax
    2. Arrogant police officers (more often than not)
    3. Police stops whilst driving (one can be stopped at least once per month - and these stops can be time consuming)
    4. The English... they aren't really english any more.. they've all gone American.
    5. The America/England relationship is unhealthly
    6. The necessity of needing the correct ID for anything and everything you choose to do
    7. The population is too large
    8. The government policies are 'almost' officially fascist
    9. The foreign policy has made enemies with countries with which I would prefer to ally.
    10. The English police each other and do as they're told too well.
    11. The British government is too old, powerful and efficient at passing laws.
    12. No land to purchase, and neighbours are too close.

Some of the people here have suggested that we should pay the property tax. They try to justify that perhaps we made the mess we're in, or that the economy is in ruins and so we should help out.

To these people I say the following:

Firstly, you should read up on how money works and you'll quickly realise that on the global stage, the bankers and corporations are in control. Your taxes essentially go straight to these entities and private pockets.

Secondly, check out what happened in Iceland not so long ago when they told the private bankers and IMF to f***off - they started again with a new constitution (http://benwerd.com/blog/2011/08/26/citizen-lawmakers-iceland-future-politics/) and things have gone from strength to strength.

Thirdly, Once constituents begin to pay a tax, governments historically raise the price of the tax or introduce over-complicated brackets and side taxes.

Fourthly, I have received the silly little leaflet that came through my door outlining what the property tax will pay for and one should be forced to ask the following question; "If this tax is to pay for the libraries, public areas, street lighting and other things - then how have these been financed for so many years without problem before?".
    If you're tempted to answer with "Because now we're in financial difficulties and the economy needs a helping hand", then my next question would be "Then I assume these property taxes are a temporary measure to get the country back on-track?" - we all know the answer to this question. Almost no tax laws, whether set up for temporary or other reasons are ever revoked.

Lastly I would like to highlight that we should all look to the global stage more than this country alone to see the true impact of our decisions. If we don't pay, things will improve for our liberties. It'll get harder first, yes.

The people can not accept the inevitable lack of rights which will naturally follow from paying any more taxes than already exist.

Your government has messed up your country
    The IMF and private bankers want their money back
    You SHOULD NOT PAY

Sit tight friends.

Sorry for my long post :( And hi all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Why don't you like Tayto?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Smashling7

mikom wrote: »

You can retire at 49 easily as a Garda, dunno if people are lying and exaggerating or not but it can be done!

I do like Tayto!

I just meant that I spend time bashing Potatoes... for mash...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hi all,

I've recently moved to Co. Roscommon from England. I wanted to list some of the main reasons for why I left England:

1. Council Tax
    2. Arrogant police officers (more often than not) Welcome to Ireland!
    3. Police stops whilst driving (one can be stopped at least once per month - and these stops can be time consuming) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sz7Bmmpb3A
    4. The English... they aren't really english any more.. they've all gone American. Welcome to Ireland!
    5. The America/England relationship is unhealthly So is the America/Ireland one!
    6. The necessity of needing the correct ID for anything and everything you choose to do Welcome to Ireland!
    7. The population is too large Give you this one.
    8. The government policies are 'almost' officially fascist Welcome to Ireland!
    9. The foreign policy has made enemies with countries with which I would prefer to ally. We're allied to Rockall. You lose!
    10. The English police each other and do as they're told too well. Welcome to Ireland!
    11. The British government is too old, powerful and efficient at passing laws. Welcome to Ireland!
    12. No land to purchase, and neighbours are too close. Welcome to Ireland!

Some of the people here have suggested that we should pay the property tax. They try to justify that perhaps we made the mess we're in, or that the economy is in ruins and so we should help out.

You sure you moved to the right country?

nae bother, welcome to boards!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I've said this before but a few crops of heroin in the attick should raise over e100 for me to pay this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I've said this before but a few crops of heroin in the attick should raise over e100 for me to pay this.

It doesn't grow in an attic...:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

galwayrush wrote: »
    It doesn't grow in an attic...:pac:

that's what they want you to think

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭L0ui5e

Put the house in your spouses/childs name and let them pay the tax..
    Never mind you not owning your property anymore.. think of the €100 you'd save ;)

I do like Tayto!

I just meant that I spend time bashing Potatoes... for mash...

Oh my goodness.. your boards name has just prompted a weird suppressed craving within me for a coleslaw and tayto sambo.. strange.. strange.. strange..
    Your (long!) post is so true it's scary- well done for phrasing it so well, you sound highly educated.
    Welcome to Ireland too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could both pay and not pay it. ;)

Option 1
    https://xkcd.com/verizon

Option 2
    Overpay by a small amount like 10.5c and then demand a refund
    refuse to pay any of your other taxes / deductions until then monies have been refunded bonus marks if you can escalate your case up the food chain or get your politician involved.
    Provided you can stall paying €100 on other taxes for more than a year the nett result is that you've not paid

Oh and change postal addresses mid way through "what made you think I reside at that address ??" or loose or spill tippex thinner on or have the dog eat the refund cheque so they have to reissue it.
    If possible all correspondence should be in Irish or any other official EU language , perhaps you know someone who knows someone who doesn't speak any indo-european language.

Option 3
    For this to work you need to know how much each transaction costs to process. http://boingboing.net/2009/05/11/pirate-bay-founder-p.html
    Why hand over a pair of fifties, and who would have such things in a recession, when all you can use multiple cheques preferably on different banks (will they take foreign ones ?), postal orders, bank drafts, and at least 50 coins (if you can get some of the old pre euro ones , sure give it a go,) but make sure you have enough legal tender or that you overpay (slightly of course) so you are making an honest attempt to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tiktock7aclock

Claim diplomatic immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you have a mortgage, then you technically don't own the house. So just send the property tax bill to the mortgage provider and let them take care of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'd pay it if I lived in a country that is run in a responsible manner and where the taxes would be spent correctly, Not squandered such is the Irish way.

I hate seeing public tax money being used to make private companies very rich.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Pay it. No one forced you to buy a house

The whole supposed status of being a home owner in Ireland has us ****ed

No wonder most of the Germans rent

No body forces you to buy any thing. Simply owning something doesnt mean that the Govt has the right to use you like a walking ATM if they decide to make you pay off debts which arent yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

No body forces you to buy any thing. Simply owning something doesnt mean that the Govt has the right to use you like a walking ATM if they decide to make you pay off debts which arent yours.

If you read the fine print on your passport you'll find you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I agree. You could blow all your money on expensive holidays and fine food and not be liable for anything. Save it and buy a house and you're a wealthy prick.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Become a minister. According to the FF twitter account today a government minister seems to be technically exempt from the tax. I'm sure the FG'ers will be only too delighted to have their snouts in the trough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Hire a JCB driver to come into your estate and dig a few holes and claim that your estate is unfinished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Red Alert wrote: »
    Become a minister. According to the FF twitter account today a government minister seems to be technically exempt from the tax. I'm sure the FG'ers will be only too delighted to have their snouts in the trough.
    Not this nonsense again:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Just stop being such a tight arse and pay it. If you can afford to own a house in the first place, then €100 shouldn't be a big deal! Sad to see people who are so damn stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Just stop being such a tight arse and pay it. If you can afford to own a house in the first place, then €100 shouldn't be a big deal! Sad to see people who are so damn stingy.
    You're in the wrong thread. This about how to avoid paying. Take your high horse And gallop off somewhere else.

That's just the point though..
    Many people can't afford to own their own homes now through no fault of their own.
    People took out mortgages on the basis of the wages they had before the were eroded by the last 5 budget massacres.
    Stingy, I don't think so! Just put to the pin of their collar. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ninap

L0ui5e wrote: »
    That's just the point though..
    Many people can't afford to own their own homes now through no fault of their own.
    People took out mortgages on the basis of the wages they had before the were eroded by the last 5 budget massacres.
    Stingy, I don't think so! Just put to the pin of their collar. :(

It's not written in stone that taxes can never rise (and in fact tax rises have been pretty minimal since 2008). So the idea that "it's not our fault" doesn't really wash. Especially when many people's mortgages have gone down, if they're on trackers. And seriously, no one paying a mortgage can't afford an extra 8 euro a month...

Ps. I have some bad news. More taxes and cuts for the next three years...Until govt receipts equal govt expenditure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement