Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ways to avoid paying the €100 Property Tax

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Sky King wrote: »
    IT's for the services that you get... or at leat that's what they tell you. Not that strange either....Businesses pay thousands or sometimes even tens of thousands in rates on buildings they own.

Well you're right and you're wrong about it being for the services you get. The tax will go to the central pot and some of it will be distributed to local services. Its not like council tax in the UK which funds local services exclusively (afaik)

The reason the government have plumped for a property charge (which will have to be paid by the tenant by the way - new leases are including this provision, this will be the same as the UK) is that the number of households in the country is fairly static and gives a dependable income unlike consumption based taxes on which the government used to fund its services from. Its all about putting the government finances on a sustainable footing. The fact that it is called a property tax is really irrelevant.

Hard to believe, but we collectively as a nation paid a hell of a lot more tax a few years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

cosanostra wrote: »
    Rumor has it that it will be put on the electricity bill as a method of collection so non payment could result in disconnection

The Greeks tried that, ended up in court challenges and their EU overlord backing down.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

pa990 wrote: »
    i was giving an example, that, once it is paid (tv or property tax) you are on record, and you will receive a reminder every year.

if it is never paid then you are never on record. The enforcement agencies for property tax are under resourced and unable to adequately enforce it.

If/when you change ownership of the house, they will catch up with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Pete M. wrote: »
    Best way to avoid paying it is to not write a cheque or not to make a digital transaction to whoever is going to be given the task of administering it.

Like has been said before, if enough people refuse to do it, then there'll be a whole lot of us in Court, too many in fact to get into the Court.

This has a similar feel to it as the chat in reaction to news of the smoking ban. THEY CANT, IT WONT WORK. One of our strengths as a people is our common decency. We re not close to rioting. I dont know what it would for that. But by God people upstairs take advantage of this. If its made 'law', thy will be done. Its the little laws and things that none of us were ever asked about, or had a say that takes the piss. Its the smoking ban, the kids banned under all circumstances from pubs by evening-the sheer illegality of craic, the poxy unrealistic speed limits in inappropriate areas, the over-tightening of nct system, the 12 points for this that and t'other and your banned from driving. (So use our MAGNIFICIENT public transport you ll be sound unless you dont live in Dublin. And sure thats noone important.) The needless change in the square ball, the increase in diving and soccerisation of the referring standards and increase in ticketing, the lowering beyond common sense of alcohol limits, the increase above the newly set limit of Kennys advisor, the expense packages of tds and senators for doing an already very well paid job when elderly people who served the country suck up the cold. The pensions. How long they dont need to work to get them and the size of them and who decides how much they ll be. The god damned pensions.
    We have much to be irked about, much to rant about, but thats all we do, cos its just in our nature to take it all. We know the country is ****ed. We know its not our fault. But we ll take care of things. Its the right thing to do. I just wish I felt as if we werent been taken for granted by some royal dickmasters.

*Sometimes big brother knows best of course. That tax on plastic bags was a very good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭amacca

darlett wrote: »
    I just wish I felt as if we werent been taken for granted by some royal dickmasters.

if they bring in a dick tax I will challenge it on gender discrimination grounds

it simply wont stand I tells ya:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Open it up to some prostitutes and turn it into a brothel then its a place of business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Sky King wrote: »
    IT's for the services that you get... or at leat that's what they tell you. Not that strange either....Businesses pay thousands or sometimes even tens of thousands in rates on buildings they own.
    The problem is I paid stamp duty which is really the idea that they want to replace with rates. So I am truely getting double taxed. It will steadily increase as the objective is for the governemnt to have a steady income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

FFS, it's only 27c a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Pay it. No one forced you to buy a house

The whole supposed status of being a home owner in Ireland has us ****ed

No wonder most of the Germans rent
    If most germans rent, who do their houses belong to?

jester77 wrote: »
    FFS, it's only 27c a day
    That's for 2012, wait until 2013 and thereafter........You might be so dismissive then!

• Advertisement

gerryo777 wrote: »
    If most germans rent, who do their houses belong to?

There are lots of companies whose sole business is property and they are well managed and rented. It's not like the amateur landlord stuff that goes on in Ireland. There are strict rules to be adhered to and they can only charge based on € per sq. meter table drawn up by the state.

That's for 2012, wait until 2013 and thereafter........You might be so dismissive then!

At least by then it might be fairly charged based on the either the size/location or value of the property. But right now 27c is not exactly a lot to be complaining about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

We rent at the moment. But I've seen this described variously as a Household tax and a Property tax. Which is it? Will I have to pay for my household or will the landlord pay for his 2nd house? Isn't he already paying the council for his 2nd house (cork county council)?

There are lots of companies whose sole business is property and they are well managed and rented. It's not like the amateur landlord stuff that goes on in Ireland. There are strict rules to be adhered to and they can only charge based on € per sq. meter table drawn up by the state.
    Sure we have NAMA for that.
    BTW, I'd say if that's the case that there are some of the 'elite' making serious money out of housing in germany. Sound familiar?

Sure we have NAMA for that.
    BTW, I'd say if that's the case that there are some of the 'elite' making serious money out of housing in germany. Sound familiar?

These are run like normal companies. They will have lots of staff, e.g. plumbers, electricians, gardeners, accountants, tax experts, agents, etc Like any normal business, why shouldn't they make a profit? It's no different than BMW making a profit. Of course the guys at top will be well paid, that's the norm for any profitable company.

At least by then it might be fairly charged based on the either the size/location or value of the property. But right now 27c is not exactly a lot to be complaining about.
    So, say I was lucky enough to have a home with a nice sea view, that I spent all my hard earned (and taxed) money on to make it the way I like, because of the location/size I'm to pay a hell of a lot more than someone who lives in, say a housing estate with no view etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

€100 in 2012
    €200 in 2013
    €300 in 2014
    €400 in 2015
    €500 in 2016

But if you are a TD it will be an exempt premises, and you can charge for its use.

These are run like normal companies. They will have lots of staff, e.g. plumbers, electricians, gardeners, accountants, tax experts, agents, etc Like any normal business, why shouldn't they make a profit? It's no different than BMW making a profit. Of course the guys at top will be well paid, that's the norm for any profitable company.
    I know we're in a bad way in this country at the moment but I don't think we want to be too much like germany. There's more to life than money.... You should remember that it's merkel who insists that we don't make unsecured bondholders in anglo take any hit and it's because of her policy in this regard we're bringing in all these new stealth taxes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

K-9 wrote: »
    The Greeks tried that, ended up in court challenges and their EU overlord backing down.

I thought it was because the electricity workers won't collect bills if they did this. FWIW the TV licence is added to the lecky bill in Greece.

If anyone doesn't want to pay the new household charge, go out and riot. That's what the English did and they got rid of it within a year (although it was replaced with the much fairer council tax which looks like what's going to come in anyway). In the UK, this started off pretty affordable too and ended up equvialent to paying another service charge. It averages €1.400 per year in the UK now and they don't have bin charges. Incidentally, the rates bill for northern Ireland where there is no council tax is £736.

The biggest problem with this tax like so many others is it's nothing to do with your home or services provided to it. It's a bailout tax, pure and simply, so why don't they call it that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Pay it. No one forced you to buy a house

The whole supposed status of being a home owner in Ireland has us ****ed

No wonder most of the Germans rent

I have to rent where I live !
    Seeing as I have to pay it through my esb bill .
    Could you tell me how I won't be paying it ?

So, say I was lucky enough to have a home with a nice sea view, that I spent all my hard earned (and taxed) money on to make it the way I like, because of the location/size I'm to pay a hell of a lot more than someone who lives in, say a housing estate with no view etc?

I don't agree with property tax (or inheritance tax for family property) but unfortunately this is the norm in the western world. There are lots of cases where families have to move out because they inherited the property and can't afford the tax bill or the property tax became too high due to the rezoning or revaluing of the tax by the local authority. This is a very common problem in the US.

It was a big mistake getting rid of property tax/rates in the first place, it should never have been done. There wouldn't be all of this commotion if that had never taken place and the people might have been more careful before buying property over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

I have to rent where I live !
    Seeing as I have to pay it through my esb bill .
    Could you tell me how I won't be paying it ?

Pay it through your esb bill? Well tenants are not supposed to pay it the landlord is. But There is nothing stoping the landlord putting up your rent by 2 euro a week to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Dear Mr Tax-Man,

Firstly just to say I am delighted to do my bit in paying the new property tax.
    Unfortunately due to my current financial situation I will not be able to organise a convenient method of payment.
    You will need to send a Tax official to MY HOUSE to collect said tax. I will have the money ready for you when you arrive, in 1 cent coins, randomly thrown around the garden.

P.S. Trespassers on my property will be SHOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Take a load of bad acid,get brain damaged,get committed,you are now exempt without a worry in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Do an Ivor Callely on it and pretend it's a "principle place of residence" (apparently that's different to "living there", especially when it comes to financial payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I think the end-goal is to introduce something akin to the council tax system in the UK. Tenants are charged (not homeowners) and properties are placed in different bands according to valuation. Even for a 1-bed flat in England you'd be paying upwards of stg$800 in some places!

Of course this will be done under the guise of supplying essential sevices (refuse, water, etc) to those properties, even though we will still have (and already do for refuse) separate charges imposed for those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭missvirgo

What house??? Who's house?? Oh THIS house?? I'm sorry... who are you?? Don't know what you're talking about :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

claim you house as a new republic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I'm taking the number off my house, let them try and find my house now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

This property tax is a load of crap. I don't own my own house, I doubt I'll ever be able to in this country anyway. But why didn't they raise the property tax on peoples second homes and then introduce larger and larger tax on every additional home they own.
    How many politicians own 2nd and 3rd homes?
    Does that answer your question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Is there some kind of standing rule on After Hours that someone has to invoke Godwin's Law within the first few pages of any thread?

Probably been said before if not it should have been but I don't think Godwin's law applies on boards, it's been superseded by Ted's Law.

Any how

I]Tom has just robbed the local post office[/I
    Father Ted: Are you up to your old tricks, Tom?
    Tom: No, Father. It's my money. I just didn't want to fill out the forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Get pregnant obviously!! This country gives you everything for free when you are pregnant.

Just ask the bints who have decided to be single mothers.

EVERYTHING. FOR. FREE.

Tazz T wrote: »
    The biggest problem with this tax like so many others is it's nothing to do with your home or services provided to it.

true...or at least ift will be the case
    It's a bailout tax, pure and simply, so why don't they call it that?

I can think of some possible reasons

1) it would be difficult to continue charging you the tax once we got out of our difficulties...people would say...we should no longer have to pay the bailout tax...shure aren't we bailed out like! etc

2) Politicians like calling things what they are not...disguising things in order to hide the unadulterated blunt truth or accuracy which they rarely provide you with ...this type of obfuscation gives you another hurdle to overcome...makes it easier to fool the more gullible and gives them more control over the situation for longer

3) calling it the bailout tax gives them less ability to argue you should have to pay it..... as a lot of citizens (whether rightfully or wrongfully) feel they were not responsible for our troubles => more likelihood of protests, greater difficulty implementing the tax etc.........people criticizing them for their childlike honesty

the plain honest truth can be very inconvenient when you are trying to manipulate and control large numbers of very different people unfortunately, its much better to find the best lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

I know quite a number of Council Tenants who earn close to 80k (Husband and Wife) and will not have to pay it, Very unfair

Some in a flat complexs/houses all over Dublin, owe that in rent between them....

Get pregnant obviously!! This country gives you everything for free when you are pregnant.

EVERYTHING. FOR. FREE.

my womb is a penis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I suppose when the taxman arrives to collect the property tax you could deny that you have a house because you don't speak english. When he peeps in your window you could tell him that you speak chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Sorry boss,cant pay it,
    The house burnt to the axles last night.
    Josie,Mary,Bridie get into the van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Tell them to go fcuk themselves......That's what I'll be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

€100 is just a foot in the door, they figure most people will say to themselves ''shur it's only €100, that's not too bad''. Before we know it they will be looking for a €1000 a year.. Mark my words.

EVERYTHING. FOR. FREE.
    Are you for real, ya langer or are you just trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

This is going to be tagged along with the electricity bill, right?

to make sure they get it out of you as opposed to as a once off yearly charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

€100 is just a foot in the door, they figure most people will say to themselves ''shur it's only €100, that's not too bad''. Before we know it they will be looking for a €1000 a year.. Mark my words.

I fear you are correct. Some people will argue here that others country's have such a tax on homes. In the UK, its mentioned that they get services like bin collections and water in their price. Don't know what the situation is for other countries. Only difference here, is that we will have this property tax which will climb upwards and also refuse and water charges kept separately (also high). We must be the only country with the highest bins charges as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

They used to get rid of their windows to stop this sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

ilovesleep wrote: »
    . In the UK, its mentioned that they get services like bin collections and water in their price.

Bin collections, yes, water no, apart from NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Have your suburban cul-de-sac -- or "one-off" McMansion -- officially designated a Ghost Estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Jaysus, I'd love my rates to be €100 for the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

FWIW the TV licence is added to the lecky bill in Greece.

What if you don't have a TV in Greece ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭worded

Seems unfair that a house valued at 100K pays the same as a house valued at 100 000K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I'm curious. Is this the typical Irish ''complain only when it affects me in my backyard'' behaviour on the thread or do people protesting against this tax also protest/complain against other things which are morally wrong such as stockmarket gambler bailouts etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

lawhec wrote: »
    Jaysus, I'd love my rates to be €100 for the year!

Except bin charges are separate and it looks like water rates will be separate again.

Talk is all domestic services will be rolled into this charge eventually, with the rate rising obviously, but when most refuse collections are private, I don't see how that is going to work!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement