Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ways to avoid paying the €100 Property Tax

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

My gradfather built our house over 70 years ago fully financed by himself.
    So if they think they're going to get a cent off me they can fcuk themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I fear you are correct. Some people will argue here that others country's have such a tax on homes. In the UK, its mentioned that they get services like bin collections and water in their price. Don't know what the situation is for other countries. Only difference here, is that we will have this property tax which will climb upwards and also refuse and water charges kept separately (also high). We must be the only country with the highest bins charges as well.

Water is separate. My council tax here is £1600 a year. That pays for bin collections, maintenance of parks and playgrounds etc. Water charges are another £300 approx.

It's only €100!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

psychward wrote: »
    What if you don't have a TV in Greece ?

Wait for a riot and loot one, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Water is separate. My council tax here is £1600 a year. That pays for bin collections, maintenance of parks and playgrounds etc. Water charges are another £300 approx.

It's only €100!

Then come back to Ireland and pay it.

Unfortunately, you have to pay all the other exhorbitant taxes here too, so it's cheaper in the UK.

BTW I lived in the London for 16 years and I found the cost of living about half what it is in Dublin and I owned a property there for which I paid council tax on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Do you reckon we'll get a "tax disc" for the house and have to display it in our front window ?

I hope they don't setup any checkpoints though.

If this is the case I'll do the same here that I do with my car tax disc & insurance disc. Photocopy them, photoshop them and print them out on a high quality printer in work.

Haven't paid tax or insurance for my car in about 4 yrs now FTW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Do you reckon we'll get a "tax disc" for the house and have to display it in our front window ?

I hope they don't setup any checkpoints though.

If this is the case I'll do the same here that I do with my car tax disc & insurance disc. Photocopy them, photoshop them and print them out on a high quality printer in work.

Haven't paid tax or insurance for my car in about 4 yrs now FTW
    Good man! Good to see some upstanding members of our society on boards.ie, the kind of people this country needs to get us out of the hole we're in, either that or good trolling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Good man! Good to see some upstanding members of our society on boards.ie, the kind of people this country needs to get us out of the hole we're in, either that or good trolling!

u fed the troll

drdeadlift wrote: »
    u fed the troll
    F**k:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

My gradfather built our house over 70 years ago fully financed by himself.
    So if they think they're going to get a cent off me they can fcuk themselves.

So you got a free house? Sure €100 will be nothing to you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

psychward wrote: »
    What if you don't have a TV in Greece ?

Pfft everyone has a TransVestite in Greece

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

gerryo777 wrote: »
    F**k:D

Ahh sure I won't have to pay it since I live under a bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Keep a cow in the front room and call it an "agricultural building"?

:rolleyes:
    i allready have an ol cow living with me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

ceadaoin. wrote: »

It's only €100!

Errm yes thats right. 2 euro a week. On top of 2 euro a week extra for a 20 a day smoker. 2 euro a week extra on fuel. Motor tax same. Food will increase by a small amount. Child benefit cut by a couple of euro a week. So suddenly you have 15 - 20 euro less in your pocket a week. For average wage earners who cannot earn more on fixed incomes, that will impact hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

They have a similar property tax in Cyprus. But they found a clever way around it. Cypriots leave those metal reinforcement bars sticking out of the top of the their houses...the beginings of another floor.

Basically, property tax only applies to completed buildings. So...if your house is permanently under construction, you don't need to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,086 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Pay it. No one forced you to buy a house

The whole supposed status of being a home owner in Ireland has us ****ed

No wonder most of the Germans rent

Owning or renting you STILL pay for the water you use over there.
    BUT it is FOOD GRADE coming out of your tap.No E coli,boil notices,liquified sewage or dead cattle ,or Flourine!..EVER.In fact in some places it is cleaner than some mineralwater in bottles.

When if ever Ireland gets a water supply like that.Then Its worth paying for.Until then no way should anyone pay for the sewage that comes out our taps mistakenly called water.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Mach Lei

For everyone against the household charge/property tax, please share this link on your facebook wall and ask all your friends to sign up to this campaign, we shall be stronger in numbers-we shall be one-we shall be many.
    http://www.nohouseholdtax.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Mach Lei wrote: »
    For everyone against the household charge/property tax, please share this link on your facebook wall and ask all your friends to sign up to this campaign, we shall be stronger in numbers-we shall be one-we shall be many.

Facebook?

For fuck sake. If people are so unhappy about paying a measly €100, they should put down the slice of cake from their fat mouths & get off their arses & protest about it.

Facebook, my hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

so 40 gaffs fahey will have to pay 4 grand, i doubt it said croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No need to go out and protest if everyone just refuses to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

flutered wrote: »
    so 40 gaffs fahey will have to pay 4 grand, i doubt it said croker.

He is a politician. There will be an exemption for him and others alike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'll sign up.

*Posted from my iPhone.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Facebook?

For fuck sake. If people are so unhappy about paying a measly €100, they should put down the slice of cake from their fat mouths & get off their arses & protest about it.

Facebook, my hole.

It's not about a measly €100.

First of all where's the measly €100 going? Is it going to benefit any of us? Nope

Secondly, what will they put the tax up to in a years time?

Get off their arses and protest about it? The best protest in this case is simply not to pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If people are so unhappy about paying a measly €100, they should put down the slice of cake from their fat mouths & get off their arses & protest about it.

Two slices next year, then then a whole bakery full over the coming years.....
    Whens the march?

Tayla wrote: »
    It's not about a measly €100.

Maybe not, but I don't see any point in starting a Facebook protest about it.

It's not only pointless, but extremely lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Even going on Joe Duffy takes more effort than a Facebook protest.

Equally ineffective though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

That's not a facebook protest, they're just asking people to share the link on facebook. The actual campaign have already had meetings and have went around housing estates in certain areas to see how many will or won't pay.

They're also putting people in touch with like minded people in their areas so that they can all refuse to pay together.

eth0 wrote: »
    Even going on Joe Duffy takes more effort than a Facebook protest.

Equally ineffective though

Joe Duffy is more dangerous than you think.

Remember what happened with the headshops.

Tayla wrote: »
    That's not a facebook protest, they're just asking people to share the link on facebook. The actual campaign have already had meetings and have went around housing estates in certain areas to see how many will or won't pay.

They're also putting people in touch with like minded people in their areas so that they can all refuse to pay together.

It's still pointless. There's no avoiding taxes. Even if enough people didn't pay the tax & the government had to concede that it was a bad move, all they'd do is find another way of making up the shortfall.

I'd prefer to pay €100 than see another increase in the VAT rate or on petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Its ridiculous and they can swing for it as far as I am concerned. The right job would be for everyone to do the same, they can't prosecute everyone. However they will prosecute someone to make an example of them and then people will get scared and pay the bloody thing for a bit of peace thus ruining for those of us who do not care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

If it does get tagged on your esb bill. You havent a hope. You gotta pay it.

LighterGuy wrote: »

Go off the grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Tagging it onto the ESB bill isn't an option if the tax is aimed at home-owners, not renters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

eth0 wrote: »
    Go off the grid.
    :pac: you really see alot of people going without electricity to avoid paying the 100 ;)

:pac: you really see alot of people going without electricity to avoid paying the 100 ;)

Cant see it happening tbh if the greeks couldn't do it. Unless they're expecting payment in Punt Nua

Not willing to go without electricity for a while means you're part of a mollified bunch too attached to your "mod cons" to make a protest

Facebook?

Facebook, my hole.

Protests won,t do much if there,s no organised boycott,if the most of us posts that link on their facebook wall and gets as many of their friends as possible signed up to this campaign, there will have been a lot of recruiting done through facebook, secondly IM personally Involved with the can,t pay, won,t pay campaign in my local area, I have leafletted different estates about local meetings, with decent turnouts and more recruited to the campaign, its going good http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mhgbkfsnmh/

Thirdly its not just about leafletting and having meetings, once you have got a certain amount of your friends.neighbours recruited to the campaign, the next step will be covering your own local estate by knocking on doors asking people to sign up to the can,t pay/won,t pay campaign and pay a five euro for the year subscription fee, as the campaign will be raising a fund to defend non payers if it goes to court.

• Advertisement

People who don't pay their electricity bill won't be able to protest on Facebook.

Small price to pay to shut up a few thousand idiots in my book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Burning your house down.

In Greece they tried putting the property tax on peoples electricatity bils, the unions said we are not tax collectors and refused to colllect any money in relation to property tax,secondly wouldn,t that be Illegal for the esb to charge someone for something that was never part of the original contract in terms of what goods and services would be provided? wouldn,t it also be Illegal for the esb to charge for anything other then electrictity? after all that,s all we signed up to pay for with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

In Greece they tried putting the property tax on peoples electricatity bils, the unions said we are not tax collectors and refused to colllect any money in relation to property tax,secondly wouldn,t that be Illegal for the esb to charge someone for something that was never part of the original contract in terms of what goods and services would be provided? wouldn,t it also be Illegal for the esb to charge for anything other then electrictity? after all that,s all we signed up to pay for with them.

Most big companies just change their T&C's from time to time, they assume you agree unless you specifically disagree.

You could go to Airtricity or BG as they now supply electricity.

If they all look for payment, well......... you'd have to challenge it legally.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

K-9 wrote: »
    Except bin charges are separate and it looks like water rates will be separate again.

Talk is all domestic services will be rolled into this charge eventually, with the rate rising obviously, but when most refuse collections are private, I don't see how that is going to work!
    Of course. I'm not 100% sure what the general rate of refuse charges in the south, but the service provided by the council here in Omagh is dead on. I think the rates on my flat are adjusting for currency around €300 a year currently - this pays towards refuse collection, environmental health, water & sewage, road maintenance, cleaning and gritting, public parks and spaces, community centres, grants for local groups and probably a few others I can't recall right now. Some of this goes towards a larger pot collected by councils for roads and water. There's been an ongoing debate about water provision in that it should be charged and billed separately as it is in Britain but that's dragged on now for some time. The Council Tax bills in England are higher because over there it is the councils that are in charge of Social Care provision, whereas in NI it falls under the HSC aka NHS.

The main problem I see about the household tax that is to be levied is that its a flat rate not taking into account the size of the property or the direct ability for those that either own it or rent it to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

K-9 wrote: »
    Most big companies just change their T&C's from time to time, they assume you agree unless you specifically disagree.

You could go to Airtricity or BG as they now supply electricity.

If they all look for payment, well......... you'd have to challenge it legally.

or you could stay in arrears exactly up to the level of the tax. when the tax is levied again in the following year do the same. When or before the esb gets cut off, change account names to granny, partner, random homeless guy etc for a fresh account, rinse and repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Get a large pack of angry hounds to roam around outside your house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    they can't prosecute everyone.

Remember the water charges in Dublin when they started? A lot of people refused to pay and they all got prosecuted.

Protests won,t do much if there,s no organised boycott,if the most of us posts that link on their facebook wall and gets as many of their friends as possible signed up to this campaign, there will have been a lot of recruiting done through facebook, secondly IM personally Involved with the can,t pay, won,t pay campaign in my local area, I have leafletted different estates about local meetings, with decent turnouts and more recruited to the campaign, its going good http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mhgbkfsnmh/

Thirdly its not just about leafletting and having meetings, once you have got a certain amount of your friends.neighbours recruited to the campaign, the next step will be covering your own local estate by knocking on doors asking people to sign up to the can,t pay/won,t pay campaign and pay a five euro for the year subscription fee, as the campaign will be raising a fund to defend non payers if it goes to court.

Meh. The whole thing is absurd... if you're going to protest, then why not protest against the taxes that are actually going to hit your pockets the hardest, like the increased VAT rate, the increased taxes on motoring & carbon taxes? Why protest against the least costly of all the tax hikes?

The property tax is €100.. the equivalent of €1.92 per week. You'll spend more than that on feckin leaflets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I guess I will have to pay it :mad: But I thought when i handed over 30 odd grand in stamp duty I would not have to pay the government anymore. I was led to belive I owned the house fully. Now it seems the goverment has shares in my property and need their cut :rolleyes:

The property tax is €100.. the equivalent of €1.92 per week. You'll spend more than that on feckin leaflets.

Thin end of the wedge. Everybody knows its going to go up to 500 a year or more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

€100 for me in my hovel.
    €100 for Ryan Tubridy in his plush Mad Men pad.

"Fair and balanced" as Fox news like to pretend.

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Ahh sure I won't have to pay it since I live under a bridge
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

And dont pay Motor Tax or TV Licence either, might as well make it worthwhile if you're going to jail

you actually don't got to jail for not paying your TV license , you go through the whole court process , they say you are to spend a week in prison ,

the gardaí take you to the prsion site , you sign in at the door ....the Gardaí then take you home because the prisons don't have any more room
    FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

2 options come to mind

1 . Put the hinges on ur frount Door on backwards !
    When the call charge them 100€
    When they open it .

2 . Douce them in petrol . Pay them with a flaming 100€ note .
    Put them out " no need to be nasty "
    Charge them a call out fee of 800€
    Like the fire brigade do ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement