Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ways to avoid paying the €100 Property Tax

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

mikom wrote: »
    What does it pay for?

Firstly, your municipal government (Mayor, City Manager, Councillors, Local Fire and Police), your road care (snow ploughing, salting and road repairs). A portion of the bill will go to the County Court, County Nursing Homes, Schools and School Buses. That's it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Spread wrote: »
    Have not read all the earlier posts. Have I got to pay the tax on an empty house in Ireland?

And secondly, people around here pay about $6000 pa property tax on an average sized three bedroom home. They moan about it but cough up. If you fall into arrears and cannot catch up - you lose your home.
    Yes, empty or full. Onus is on the owner to pay.

I assume you're in the US. Don't know a lot about the property tax system there, other than it is very high compared to other countries. I don't agree with it in principle, but it does seem to be in lieu of a much lower income tax rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Mach Lei

Tax doesn't get spent in proportion to the things it gets collected from... tax revenue from all sources is just divided up & spent as the government deem fit.

This is just another stream of revenue. If they'd have called it a Water Service to Property tax, would it have made any difference?

What I outlined about the council tax, if it Included water with it, it would actually be providing services, unlike the household charge/property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Firstly, your municipal government (Mayor, City Manager, Councillors, Local Fire and Police), your road care (snow ploughing, salting and road repairs). A portion of the bill will go to the County Court, County Nursing Homes, Schools and School Buses. That's it in a nutshell.

All of which is supposed to be covered by regular taxation here up until this aberration of a "stranglehold" charge was cooked up.
    School buses have a separate charge as well.

K-9 wrote: »
    I don't really get the stamp duty argument either, if it was that high and objectionable people didn't have to buy or could have bought cheaper houses. You chose to pay huge stamp duty, it doesn't give you a pass on property taxes for the rest of your life.

I've paid plenty of income tax, doesn't mean I don't decide not to pay the USC.

First the stamp duty is a transaction type tax, no issue with that, but I do take issue with and plenty of others take issue with is double taxation,and being asked to pay a yearly fee to the goverment for your own property, how can you exclusively own property, when you re being told you have to pay a fee to an Uninvited third party to retain the rights to it?

Mach Lei wrote: »
    First the stamp duty is a transaction type tax, no issue with that, but I do take issue with and plenty of others take issue with is double taxation,and being asked to pay a yearly fee to the goverment for your own property, how can you exclusively own property, when you re being told you have to pay a fee to an Uninvited third party to retain the rights to it?

Ground rent to the government.
    You will never own a house again once this comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

In the state of New Hampshire there is no income tax deducted off your top line and no sales tax .......VAT etc ........ (except on room and meal which is 8%). You pay a Federal tax ......... this on middle income packets would be around 15% and includes, Social Security pension and Medicare.

In the state of New Hampshire there is no income tax deducted off your top line and no sales tax .......VAT etc ........ (except on room and meal which is 8%). You pay a Federal tax ......... this on middle income packets would be around 15% and includes, Social Security pension and Medicare.

Ye're not doin' so bad so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I live in an "unfinished estate" so I won't have to pay this in 2012/2013
    HOPEFULLY by the time our estate gets sorted we'll know what is happening with this property tax
    category 4 estates - some 188 estates - where the developer or site owner is effectively not contactable
    The developer is deceased that's pretty much as uncontactable as you can get :rolleyes:
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/sendebates/?id=2011-12-06.242.0

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I live in an "unfinished estate" so I won't have to pay this in 2012/2013
    HOPEFULLY by the time our estate gets sorted we'll know what is happening with this property tax

The developer is deceased that's pretty much as uncontactable as you can get :rolleyes:
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/sendebates/?id=2011-12-06.242.0

That,s true unfinished estates don,t have to pay, however lets say for arguments sake your estate would be finished by next november, you would liable for the charge for 2013, by then there will have being a lot of people after boycotting this household charge/property tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

What makes people think it wont be like the TV licence where if you dont pay you risk prision or a fine? The TV licence goes straight to RTE but im sure the government gets a cut of it. I don't agree with it but at the end of the day for people who say no enough is enough I doubt government will sit back and say fair enough.At the end of the day they need this money to plug a hole.

The budget was to try to plug the hole in Irelands finances and if people keep say no to cuts and no to stealth taxs how are we meant to get out of this mess? Yes you can say wealthy pay for tax but thats not going to raise 3.8 billion is it? Putting an extra 4 or 5% on someone already paying 42% plus the USC and Prsi. Im not wealthy so it doesnt bother me but I do think people need to stop whinging about it and get on with it. Im sure there will be something done for those who cannot pay but for those who can stop whingin about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I'm opposed to the fact that the Government want to be given a stake in my home, which I have bought and paid for.

As far as I know, a person can't own land in Ireland. What you have bought is a set of rights to the land. These rights are all relative - my right to enter "your" property is trumped by your rights to prevent my access to the property.

That's why a crowd like the ESB can put up a pylon in your back garden, without you being able to do anything about it. Their rights trump yours.

Investing money in state-granted rights is generally not a good thing. Just ask the taxi drivers who bought licenses a few years ago for huge sums.

The only bright side is that we've already reached a tipping point. Every extra euro the government sucks up is a euro less that'll be spent in the economy. A complete economic collapse is the only thing that'll motivate the population to act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't really get the stamp duty argument either, if it was that high and objectionable people didn't have to buy or could have bought cheaper houses. You chose to pay huge stamp duty, it doesn't give you a pass on property taxes for the rest of your life.

I've paid plenty of income tax, doesn't mean I don't decide not to pay the USC.

Good for you so.
    People paid whatever Stamp Duty was appropriate to the house the bought as already discussed. They bought a house appropriate to what they could afford and the size of the family they had or intended to have and could afford. They also paid Income Tax appropriate to the wage they earned.They are paying U.S.C. instead of Health levies etc. They pay bin taxes and will pay water taxes appropriate to what they use. They pay Road Tax appropriate to the size of their car and the amount of wear and tear they cause to the road.
    Now please tell me again why they should pay Property Tax.
    From your post I think you may be young and don't own a house yourself.

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    What makes people think it wont be like the TV licence where if you dont pay you risk prision or a fine? The TV licence goes straight to RTE but im sure the government gets a cut of it. I don't agree with it but at the end of the day for people who say no enough is enough I doubt government will sit back and say fair enough.At the end of the day they need this money to plug a hole.

The budget was to try to plug the hole in Irelands finances and if people keep say no to cuts and no to stealth taxs how are we meant to get out of this mess? Yes you can say wealthy pay for tax but thats not going to raise 3.8 billion is it? Putting an extra 4 or 5% on someone already paying 42% plus the USC and Prsi. Im not wealthy so it doesnt bother me but I do think people need to stop whinging about it and get on with it. Im sure there will be something done for those who cannot pay but for those who can stop whingin about it.

There is a lot of people who have spent years and years paying off their mortgage, now that,s finally payed off, why the hell should should they be asked to pay further a yearly fee for their property to an Uninvited third party to retain the rights to it? now to address your other side of the argument the money has to come from somewhere, a few years ago when the previous goverment considered putting tax on text messages by 3 cent a text I think it was, if the current goverment were to do this I wouldn,t take an issue with it, also I think the goverment should bring in a wealth tax like has being done over in Italy.

There is a lot of people who have spent years and years paying off their mortgage, now that,s finally payed off, why the hell should should they be asked to pay further a yearly fee for their property to an Uninvited third party to retain the rights to it? now to address your other side of the argument the money has to come from somewhere, a few years ago when the previous goverment considered putting tax on text messages by 3 cent a text I think it was, if the current goverment were to do this I wouldn,t take an issue with it, also I think the goverment should bring in a wealth tax like has being done over in Italy.

Wealth tax? I heard a lad saying that they should bring in a "poverty tax" for fcukers who wouldn't get out of bed to go to work all over the years. He said that the workers were caught for everything while the lazy people were the recipients of the fruits of the workers' labour. Very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Good for you so.
    People paid whatever Stamp Duty was appropriate to the house the bought as already discussed. They bought a house appropriate to what they could afford and the size of the family they had or intended to have and could afford. They also paid Income Tax appropriate to the wage they earned.They are paying U.S.C. instead of Health levies etc. They pay bin taxes and will pay water taxes appropriate to what they use. They pay Road Tax appropriate to the size of their car and the amount of wear and tear they cause to the road.
    Now please tell me again why they should pay Property Tax.
    From your post I think you may be young and don't own a house yourself.

Well obviously then taxes aren't that much of a factor then as people paid stamp duty when they didn't have to, personal choice and high VRT when they didn't have to.

Why should they pay it? Like motor tax you have a car, with this because they have a house or rent. If you'd read on you'd have seen my problem is that the tax doesn't even have the pretence of being for a service, I've an issue with that. The plan is to incorporate other charges into it, including the TV licence but I can't see how refuse charges will be included as they are mostly private.

I did buy a property but now rent. Your point is irrelevant as renters will pay. Oh and I'm not young either so more irrelevant nonsense.

I don't have a problem paying taxes, not that it is even relevant. If people want a good reason to pay it, there's a good reason. The stamp duty argument is a bit stupid tbh.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

There used to be a property tax here, abolished by FG in the mid 90's. People don't like taxes on their plot of land simple as, no point trying to dress it up as an uninvited party or any of that nonsense. You pay motor tax to an uninvited party on that basis.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Well obviously then taxes aren't that much of a factor then as people paid stamp duty when they didn't have to, personal choice and high VRT when they didn't have to.

Why should they pay it? Like motor tax you have a car, with this because they have a house or rent. If you'd read on you'd have seen my problem is that the tax doesn't even have the pretence of being for a service, I've an issue with that. The plan is to incorporate other charges into it, including the TV licence but I can't see how refuse charges will be included as they are mostly private.

I did buy a property but now rent. Your point is irrelevant as renters will pay. Oh and I'm not young either so more irrelevant nonsense.

I don't have a problem paying taxes, not that it is even relevant. If people want a good reason to pay it, there's a good reason. The stamp duty argument is a bit stupid tbh.

I am not clear about your point and i have not said that refuse taxes were part of Property Tax. I know exactly why i pay all my taxes but i won't be paying this one.

There used to be a property tax here, abolished by FG in the mid 90's. People don't like taxes on their plot of land simple as, no point trying to dress it up as an uninvited party or any of that nonsense. You pay motor tax to an uninvited party on that basis.

Motor tax actually goes to building and maintaning roads, no issue with that, whereas the household charge/property tax is mainly to pay off private bankers debts, so not a chance Im gonna be paying property tax to be paying off debts for a third party.

• Advertisement

I am not clear about your point and i have not said that refuse taxes were part of Property Tax. I know exactly why i pay all my taxes but i won't be paying this one.

Just pointing out asking my age and did I own was irrelevant hogwash.
    Motor tax actually goes to building and maintaning roads, no issue with that, whereas the household charge/property tax is mainly to pay off private bankers debts, so not a chance Im gonna be paying property tax to be paying off debts for a third party.

The banks debts are paid by interest so this isn't going mainly on private banker debts, it does makes it more objectionable to think that, but it doesn't make it true. The vast, vast majority of taxes go on running the country.

The banks debts are paid by interest so this isn't going mainly on private banker debts, it does makes it more objectionable to think that, but it doesn't make it true. The vast, vast majority of taxes go on running the country.

Where did i ask your age?
    I said I presumed you were young and didn't own a house and I will stand by that. Hogwash has nothing to do with anything as if I was stroppy i could deem your post hogwash too, but i won't behave like a little boy.

Given the other lies we have all heard from politicians from, yes to lisbon/yes to jobs, the lies about keeping roscommon hospital open, the promise not to Increase student fees which have again Increased with this weeks budget, do you actually believe them when they say this is going to go towards any services/ running of the country and not into private banks?

If you need further proof of this going into private banks.
    However, speaking at the meeting, but not as Mayor, Fine Gael councillor David Fitzgerald pointed out that if the taxes were not paid, there may be no money in the ATM machines.

http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/45257/public-stand-together-against-household-taxes

Where did i ask your age?
    I said I presumed you were young and didn't own a house and I will stand by that. Hogwash has nothing to do with anything as if I was stroppy i could deem your post hogwash too, but i won't behave like a little boy.

You assumed I was young, I am not.

You assumed I didn't own a house. Irrelevant to the tax.

Irrelevant Hogwash, earned a few thanks though.
    Given the other lies we have all heard from politicians from, yes to lisbon/yes to jobs, the lies about keeping roscommon hospital open, the promise not to Increase student fees which have again Increased with this weeks budget, do you actually believe them when they say this is going to go towards any services/ running of the country and not into private banks?

If you need further proof of this going into private banks.

http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/45257/public-stand-together-against-household-taxes

Lol, I said it isn't going on anything specific, that's my point against it.

Read this and think about it:

http://economic-incentives.blogspot.com/2011/11/deficit-and-banks.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EconomicIncentives+%28Economic+Incentives%29

Let's deal with facts here, not populism. The bank payments maybe wrong, it isn't what this tax is going on.

Is it paid to the Co. Council?

You assumed I was young, I am not.

You assumed I didn't own a house. Irrelevant to the tax.

Irrelevant Hogwash, earned a few thanks though.

Lol, I said it isn't going on anything specific, that's my point against it.

Read this and think about it:

http://economic-incentives.blogspot.com/2011/11/deficit-and-banks.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EconomicIncentives+%28Economic+Incentives%29

Let's deal with facts here, not populism. The bank payments maybe wrong, it isn't what this tax is going on.

Is it paid to the Co. Council?

Maybe the Mayor of Kilkenny is spoofing too. He is a F.G. man anyway. The people are probably right in so far as this tax will jump up annually or is that more hogwash?

Maybe the Mayor of Kilkenny is spoofing too. He is a F.G. man anyway. The people are probably right in so far as this tax will jump up annually or is that more hogwash?

No it isn't, I've said already it will increase, do keep up. Even Government sources have hinted at it increasing but including the TV licence, water rates etc.

Now don't assume about me again and deal with the actual points and posts put in front of you, not your assumptions behind an internet poster. Don't make assumptions and you lessen your chance of coming out with hogwash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

washman3 wrote: »
    Refuse to pay it,plain and simple. many developers owe millions,even billions and will never have to repay it, so why should anyone pay a measly €100. stand up for a change. if we dont it will eventually be €1000
    Sooner than you think............ :eek:

No it isn't, I've said already it will increase, do keep up. Even Government sources have hinted at it increasing but including the TV licence, water rates etc.

Now don't assume about me again and deal with the actual points and posts put in front of you, not your assumptions behind an internet poster. Don't make assumptions and you lessen your chance of coming out with hogwash.

What gives you the right to decide what is hogwash. My opinion is as valid as yours and probably more factual but if you want to swallow everything the people in power tell you then so be it. I will go on my own judgement.

What gives you the right to decide what is hogwash. My opinion is as valid as yours and probably more factual but if you want to swallow everything the people in power tell you then so be it. I will go on my own judgement.

When you make assumptions about me that are wrong or irrelevant, I get the right to call you on it. End of.

Just man the feck up and get on with it and stop whinging. You made an assumption, you got called on it.

When you make assumptions about me that are wrong or irrelevant, I get the right to call you on it. End of.

Just man the feck up and get on with it and stop whinging. You made an assumption, you got called on it.

I really think I riled you and that my assumption is 100% right. Your bad attitude would lead me to believe that. I'd bet money on it even.

I really think I riled you and that my assumption is 100% right. Your bad attitude would lead me to believe that. I'd bet money on it even.

Nope, you got called on bull**** assumptions, don't try and weasle out of it. Nobody likes weasles.

• Advertisement

Nope, you got called on bull**** assumptions, don't try and weasle out of it. Nobody likes weasles.

No you didn't like the fact that you were caught out on giving opinions on what householders were paying when you were not even a householder yourself and then you started the hogwash bit. Good try but leave the adult stuff to the big boys.

No you didn't like the fact that you were caught out on giving opinions on what householders were paying when you were not even a householder yourself and then you started the hogwash bit. Good try but leave the adult stuff to the big boys.

Right to bring it some way back on topic, break it down to yes or no answers, make it simple so you follow.

This tax will be paid by people who rent. Yes or No?

You asked if I own a house? Is that relevant to this tax? Yes or No?

Just keep it simple. Avoids weaslers and wrigglers.

Right to bring it some way back on topic, break it down to yes or no answers, make it simple so you follow.

This tax will be paid by people who rent. Yes or No?

You asked if I own a house? Is that relevant to this tax? Yes or No?

Just keep it simple. Avoids weaslers and wrigglers.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/valuebased-property-tax-planned-16086806.html

It is the onus of the owner to pay.
    If you don't own it is nothing to do with you. Tehttp://www.moneyguideireland.com/category/property-tax Tenants will not have to pay.

Avoid the usual juvenile comments please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Tenants will pay but not directly. The owner will simply pass the cost onto the tenant ;)
    If someone refuses to pay they could get a jail term. The jail term will cost the country more than a 100 euro. If everyone refused to pay this problem would be nipped in the bud.

Tenants will pay but not directly. The owner will simply pass the cost onto the tenant ;)
    If someone refuses to pay they could get a jail term. The jail term will cost the country more than a 100 euro. If everyone refused to pay this problem would be nipped in the bud.

As someone who is Involved in the can,t pay/won,t pay campaign who has canvassed various estates,being to various public meetings on this issue, everyone from the doorsteps, to big crowds at these meetings, from people I personlly know, have said they have no notion whatsoever of paying this household charge/property tax.

Plus every poll taken this to date, most have said they won,t pay.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/online-poll-shows-majority-will-refuse-to-pay-new-household-charge-514430.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-will-you-pay-the-household-charge-292920-Nov2011/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

That's the thing though, yep they're hoping to plug a hole and they've probably already calculated that they are going to receive a certain percentages of the payments in full in March and then €25 from the people who have chosen to pay in installments in March also.

They've probably already promised the money away to a bondholder!

Yes, they'll try to enforce it but let's make them work for it, I've mentioned a few times in this thread that I hope they take an aggressive approach to get the money and that I hope it will be the start of a campaign of civil disobedience. Everything has to start somewhere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je3RiPXdaWM

Footage of a recent public meeting on the household charge/property tax in cork, thought Id share it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Now that ould bastard Hogan wants to fine people 2.5k for not paying his stupid house tax. I'd twist the ****er's neck tbh

all this from a party that said before they got elected they believed property tax was unfair..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

eth0 wrote: »
    Now that ould bastard Hogan wants to fine people 2.5k for not paying his stupid house tax. I'd twist the ****er's neck tbh

all this from a party that said before they got elected they believed property tax was unfair..

Every Government is the same no matter what country your in. Pre election they make it seem like they are the best thing since sliced bread and once their in all hell breaks loose. I for one will be paying it. Im not going to risk a 2.5k fine for the sake of 100. You can all say f**k this im not paying it and make them come after me, work for it etc. Its all going to be of no availl when you are summonsed to court for it. If you still dont pay or dont go to court you risk more fines and prision plus criminal record all for the sake of 100€ no thanks your alright.

eth0 wrote: »

Its a fine if you don,t register, people can always register to avoid the €2,500, and then not pay any more after that. either way I won,t register and I won,t pay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Come on guys, it has to be paid. How are we going to get water, fire brigade, sewerage, public parks, lighting, footpaths, street cleaning, etc, etc, it's only €2 per week,. Do people want to pay for anything at all anymore, or are the public servants going to have to pay for this, as well as everything else? You can't have it both ways.

Every Government is the same no matter what country your in. Pre election they make it seem like they are the best thing since sliced bread and once their in all hell breaks loose. I for one will be paying it. Im not going to risk a 2.5k fine for the sake of 100. You can all say f**k this im not paying it and make them come after me, work for it etc. Its all going to be of no availl when you are summonsed to court for it. If you still dont pay or dont go to court you risk more fines and prision plus criminal record all for the sake of 100€ no thanks your alright.

The fine 2000 fine only applies if you don,t register your house details by the end of march, so I would advise you don,t register straight away, wait until the middle of march before you decide anything, wait and see how many others are going to boycott the register and boycott paying.

headmaster wrote: »
    Come on guys, it has to be paid. How are we going to get water, fire brigade, sewerage, public parks, lighting, footpaths, street cleaning, etc, etc, it's only €2 per week,. Do people want to pay for anything at all anymore, or are the public servants going to have to pay for this, as well as everything else? You can't have it both ways.

Given the other lies we have all heard from politicians from, yes to lisbon/yes to jobs, the lies about keeping roscommon hospital open, the promise not to Increase student fees which have again Increased with this weeks budget, do you actually believe them when they say this is going to go towards any services/ running of the country?

Its won,t be just €2 per week,.ina few years time and most people know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

....looking for a way out of paying it ? Typical Irish solution...''how can I be a cute whore and not pay it, mmmmmm...'' FGS, pay it, its a tax, its law.....the same as your TV licence, its hurts but summon up some pride and pay it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

My mortgage is not quite paid off so technically I'm not the homeowner, the bank is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

SAINTRON wrote: »
    ....looking for a way out of paying it ? Typical Irish solution...''how can I be a cute whore and not pay it, mmmmmm...'' FGS, pay it, its a tax, its law.....the same as your TV licence, its hurts but summon up some pride and pay it....

It's not about being a cute whore. It's just another tax that people can't afford to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

Yea great, fire brigade alright. Us culchies will be charged for our sh**e, no public parks here just fields :P no lighting out country way either and no foot paths, street cleaning etc :confused: 1000 quid within a few year...I'd pay it if the cnuts in council houses pay too and while they're at it pay for their sh**e too or do townies sh**e roses nowadays? Water should be charged but will everyone be charged? no, discrimination? yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

IT IS NOT ONLY €2 PER WEEK

That's an introductory rate. They start off at that to get their foot in the door. Don't be a bit surprised to see it go past 500 and 1000 per year. We have had all these services without paying property tax and I'd rather they get rid of the services than make people pay for for owning a house.

Why does this old chesnut of €2 keep coming up. How thick are people to think it will stay at this for any lenght of time. Sure the government say themselves they plan to rise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

Wattle wrote: »
    It's not about being a cute whore. It's just another tax that people can't afford to pay.

I appreciate that Wattle and I like many can't afford to pay 'any' taxes but such is life. It will be paid and I will find e100 elsewhere in the house, be it selling clutter/reducing phone broadband or such like. It'll be like pulling teeth at first though.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

SAINTRON wrote: »

If its only to be 2 euro a week why didnt they simply add the 100 euro to the TV licence? Would have more people in the net and easier to collect...simples, cos its not going to stay at 2 euro per week and they could never get people to pay 1,160 for a tv licence in a year or two.

Advertisement