Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ways to avoid paying the €100 Property Tax

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

SAINTRON wrote: »
    I appreciate that Wattle and I like many can't afford to pay 'any' taxes but such is life. It will be paid and I will find e100 elsewhere in the house, be it selling clutter/reducing phone broadband or such like. It'll be like pulling teeth at first though.......

I pay plenty of taxes but I'm sure I'm not alone in having reached the stage of thus far and no further.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

Wattle wrote: »
    I pay plenty of taxes but I'm sure I'm not alone in having reached the stage of thus far and no further.

granted, but this is the mess we have created for ourselves and we now have to clean it up....Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I say go to a film production company and film yourself in front of a green screen where a backdrop of a lovely beach in Barbados can be edited in as you "walk" along it sipping a cocktail.

Upload video to YouTube making a note of rference number. When Tax Bill comes through door, return to sender "Moved To Barbados : Ref YouTube FY7899-HJNN-OKLL"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

granted, but this is the mess we have created for ourselves and we now have to clean it up....Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night....

No sorry I'm not having that. I didn't create any of this mess and neither did most of the people who are having to shoulder the burden of paying it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

eth0 wrote: »
    IT IS NOT ONLY €2 PER WEEK

That's an introductory rate. They start off at that to get their foot in the door. Don't be a bit surprised to see it go past 500 and 1000 per year. We have had all these services without paying property tax and I'd rather they get rid of the services than make people pay for for owning a house.

Why does this old chesnut of €2 keep coming up. How thick are people to think it will stay at this for any lenght of time. Sure the government say themselves they plan to rise it.

Your are all forgetting it will be based on the value of your house after the 100€. How that will work I dont know each house will be different unless they are going to do it by county but that wont be fair either. Best thing to do is leave Ireland. No one likes the way things are being done but then again when have we ever liked the way things are done? Ireland as a whole just wingh over things. The budgets are only going to get worse and god knows whats going to happen after 2015 when the last one is due. Il registered, il pay. Guaranteed if you press your luck you will regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Just want to throw this out there: I'm 21 years old, I had no vote in 2007, I don't use a credit card, most of my savings are in the post office and I have never been in any kind of debt whatsoever.

"We all made this mess" is thoroughly misleading.
    And all of this time, I am paying higher VAT in order to bail out a bunch of spoilt brats in the banking sector who chose, of their own free will to buy Anglo bonds and are now demanding that ordinary Joe pays back the money they lost.

If I go into Paddy Power tomorrow morning and bet on the wrong horse, I sure as f*ck wouldn't be able to take money from everyone outside on the street to make up for it, I'd be jailed for that.

If we're paying taxes to fund services, welfare, payment of employees who are actually providing us with a service, and upholding our police and fire rescue provisions, then fine.

If we're paying private bondholders, then f*ck off. I will fight every single step of the way, and I honestly can't believe everyone isn't doing the same.

The situation we have today is the equiuvelant of being on a sinking Titanic and watching the people who crashed it into the iceberg escape on massive, VIP lifeboats with tons of legroom and minibars while the rest of us are left to drown.
    F*ck that. I'm an Irishman whose family has a long history of political activism and fighting for our freedom, and there is no way in HELL I am going to allow this to happen without a fight. I find it absolutely ridiculous that we, the Irish people managed to defeat the biggest empire in the world at the time less than 100 years ago, but today we're allowing a "Golden Circle" to collectively crap on us and walk away with OUR money.

If you choose to bend over to your oppressors then fair enough. I prefer to kick them in the nuts myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

granted, but this is the mess we have created for ourselves and we now have to clean it up...

In the words of the late Brian Lenihan "lets be fair about this, we all partied" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

headmaster wrote: »
    Come on guys, it has to be paid. How are we going to get water,

Private scheme..... out the country.

fire brigade

Waiving the 500 Euro call out charge are they?

sewerage

Private septic tank...... out the country.
    Don't forget the inspection charges coming in as well.

public parks,

out the country.
    lighting,

out the country.

footpaths,

out the country.
    street cleaning,

out the country.

it's only €2 per week,. Do people want to pay for anything at all anymore,

Pay for anything at all anymore?
    Were you asleep when the pension levy and the universal social charge came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

If you choose to bend over to your oppressors then fair enough. I prefer to kick them in the nuts myself.

Too true, but I'm afraid we already have....and nut slice wasn't near hard enough.

We as a modern global society have created this, and no matter however careful you are, the responsible have been gobbled up by the irresponsible...

Your attitude is admirable hatrick, and I would hope that those of a similar age share it.

Yesterday is a bounced cheque; tomorrow is an IOU; today is the only cash you have - so spend it wisely....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

People have to stick to their guns on this one, if we cave in and comply with this BS then they WILL raise it year on year, before we know it it would be 1000 euros. They will use any and every means possible to extort money from people. They don't care if they drive people into poverty as long as they have wonga to shovel into private banks.

Mass non-compliance. I am giving two fingers to this unjust taxation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Now that ould bastard Hogan wants to fine people 2.5k for not paying his stupid house tax. I'd twist the ****er's neck tbh

all this from a party that said before they got elected they believed property tax was unfair..

When FG were pressed on it they said it would be up to County Councils. Similarly with bondholders, FF pressed them on the "burn the bondholders" guff, they said it would be within an EU solution.

People shouldn't bother listening to election pledges or reading manifestos tbh. Listen to how much backtracking they do when questioned, people should know this by now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mikom wrote: »
    Private scheme..... out the country.

Waiving the 500 Euro call out charge are they?

Private septic tank...... out the country.
    Don't forget the inspection charges coming in as well.

out the country.

out the country.

out the country.

out the country.

Pay for anything at all anymore?
    Were you asleep when the pension levy and the universal social charge came in?

How were we paying for these services previously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Mach Lei

Another TD won.t be paying the household charge.
    Sinn Féin Social Protection spokesperson Aengus Ó Snodaigh TD has said he will not be paying the Household Charge.
    Speaking in the Dáil this evening Deputy Ó Snodaigh said he will not be jumping on the bandwagon of the don’t pay campaign but is making a personal family decision

Good man Aengus now lets hope more in sinn fein follow suit.

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/22210#.Tujdc01KuDE.facebook

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I won't be paying it until I see Bertie Ahern and Sean Fitzpatrick behind bars. I entombed my water connection under 2 metres of re-inforced rebar'd concrete last year also so they won't be metering or charging me for Water either. They can send who ever they want to collect their rates but they will told where to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I heard on the radio that a property on which the charge is owed cannot be sold until the debt is cleared. And if the owner dies the outstanding charges will be deducted from their estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

I heard on the radio that a property on which the charge is owed cannot be sold until the debt is cleared. And if the owner dies the outstanding charges will be deducted from their estate.
    correct, or it cannot be transferred to another member of family etc until all is paid. Likes of Higgins and Pringle are walking people into it - Higgins went to jail over bin charges and what good did it do him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

its already gone up by a tenner!

if you pay by cheque there is a 10 euro "handling fee"

you couldnt make this **** up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

skelliser wrote: »

I'm sure the Holy Joes and their sheep will be queuing up to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Did you just make that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

thats sounds like an incentive not to pay to be honest. If your 40-50% in the hole for negative equity and so will never be realistically able to sell the house, whats an extra few grand of the sale price when you kick the bucket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 lazk

Bored a well for water €1200 (no mains water in the area)
    Pump cost €600
    Running cost for the last ten years €3000
    Bord na Mona Treatment plant for sewage €7500 (no sewage line in the area)
    Running costs and maintainence for last ten years. €2500

Total €14800 less the €100 household tax next year means that they only owe me €14700. Jesus this could be a great christmas after all...

And I can charge them 30% extra if they dont cough up before the end of the year....happy days !!!

(By the way we have No busses, one taxi, no street lighting, no rubbish collection, no footpathes, No road sweeping, No road gritting, any Gods amount of potholes and a part time Garda Barracks five miles away).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Did you just make that up?

Supposed to be an over the counter fee as well!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

lazk wrote: »
    Pump cost €600

Total €14800 less the €100 household tax next year means that they only owe me €14700. Jesus this could be a great christmas after all...

And I can charge them 30% extra if they dont cough up before the end of the year....happy days !!!

(By the way we have No busses, one taxi, no street lighting, no rubbish collection, no footpathes, No road sweeping, No road gritting, any Gods amount of potholes and a part time Garda Barracks five miles away).

You chose to live in a rural house without any of the services you outlined. You knew that & the costs involved before you decided to live their, so that's your own business.

Also, this is a property tax. It's a very simple concept - it's a tax on owning a property - it is not a tax designed to create revenue in order to supply services to houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Also, this is a property tax. It's a very simple concept - it's a tax on owning a property - it is not a tax designed to create revenue in order to supply services to houses.

thats right. but some people keep saying it is for services to justify this tax. its a load of ould bollox but the "necessary for services" argument keeps coming back up anyway

In countries with property tax it often pays for less than 20% of the supposed services anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

You chose to live in a rural house without any of the services you outlined. You knew that & the costs involved before you decided to live their, so that's your own business.

Actually it's a tax for services in the locality which are being provided by the LAs. When it's up'd to €1000 a year he excuse will be that the LAs are providing sewage, water, roads etc.

Pump cost €600

Where are you? Surely there's no place that remote.

Is it a Property tax or a household tax? If its a property tax then call it a property tax. If its for household services then its a household tax.
    And as far as living in a rural area goes, I was perfectly aware of the costs involved and have no problem paying for them but I have no intention of paying for services that I dont receive. Would a person living in an urban area be happy to pay to have my septic tank emptied ??

Not too remote. My nearest major town is 20 minutes away and Im only 55 minutes from Liffey Valley...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

That isn't remote by any means

For actual remoteness see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foula

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

This isn't a property tax or a household charge, it is a tax to repay the IMF for the money the government borrowed to give to Friends of Fianna Fail and their cronies when their little housing pyramid scheme collapsed. It is in effect theft from the nation to bailout the super rich elite connected at the hip to Fianna Fail.

That isn't remote by any means

For actual remoteness see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foula

now your talkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

How often is the story going to change on this one. First it was an annual inpection charge for septic tanks, it didn't wash so they made it a "registration" fee....annual inspections are down the road. The property tax was originally that "a property tax", now what? it's to pay for footpaths, lighting, street cleaning that people out sticks don't avail of? Yer having a laugh or what like?

I'm no rocket scientist but don't those amenities exist outside council houses? Why aren't they paying? How about their poop? where does their poop go? I'm pretty sure it costs alot more money to maintain townie poop than culchie poop :pac: The nearest river to me is 5 mile away, I know I poop some classic poops after a night out but I'm pretty sure I haven't infected the rivers of Ireland yet as much as I'd like to brag. Oh wait?! what's this, don't we have a thing called cows pooping everywhere including rivers? Is my culchie poop somehow more potent than cow poop? :confused:

What are we talking about again, oh yea down with property tax! and poop tax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

If government buildings are exempt then why the hell should I have to pay. Surely it costs more 'services' to run government buildings than it does my house!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

Dont be surprised if the charge is increased next year and it is also 100 euro's less that will be spent in the local economies.

One question comes to mind though, on the budget. Where is the next 3.5 Billon of austerity measures going to come from?

lrushe wrote: »
    If government buildings are exempt then why the hell should I have to pay. Surely it costs more 'services' to run government buildings than it does my house!!!

If you have a mortgage then the bank own your house and since the government own the bank..wouldnt your house then be classed as Government Buildings" ?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I would rather they say okay look 100 euro manageable for most but no more.

Couldn't imagine paying anything more and you know they'll snheak it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Whatever you say Phil :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

later10 wrote: »
    The revenue generated from this charge is going to bring in something like €160 million. Not a game changer in the scheme of things.

It will cost you about 28 cent per day, and the money is to be spent on local services like street lighting and other services that benefit householders.

I really think you are being irrational about this.

As another poster said (above) the government will simply find other, and possibly less fair,methods of bridging the adjustment that they must bridge.

So how much taxpayers money will they be paying Anglo Bondholders this year, and who are they ???

I think I'll stall for two years before I pay a cent and then I'll pay €280 if I have to.

If everyone did that, the tax would fail after year one.

But based on the Irish sheeple and who they vote for, there is no hope for common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

Speaking of bond holders, the next payment is due to go out end Jan/start Feb 2012, 3.5 odd billion.

That wil make us all feel a whole lot better about paying 100 euros.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Dont be surprised if the charge is increased next year and it is also 100 euro's less that will be spent in the local economies.

One question comes to mind though, on the budget. Where is the next 3.5 Billon of austerity measures going to come from?

The general consensus is it will be the Croke Park agreement. inc The Ponzi pension scheme, As Eddie Hobbs described it recently.

• Advertisement

gigino wrote: »
    The general consensus is it will be the Croke Park agreement. inc The Ponzi pension scheme, As Eddie Hobbs described it recently.

Would this be the same Eddie Hobbs that wanted us to buy his inflated and now worthless properties in some backwater island called 'cape verde ?' I wonder is Eddie a secret bondholder as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mikeliam

GIVE THEM THE PROPERTY TAX AND DONT PAY YOUR TV LICENSE YOU WILL SAVE A FEW EUROS THIS WAY AND REMEBER IF YOU PAY NOW YOU ARE SCREWED AT VERY LEAST EVERYONE SHOULD WAIT FOR 6 MONTHS TO SEE THE OUTCOME

Speaking of bond holders, the next payment is due to go out end Jan/start Feb 2012, 3.5 odd billion.

That wil make us all feel a whole lot better about paying 100 euros.:confused:

Why are our Government paying this? It's madness. The Germans are having some laugh at the likes of Enda. They are really taking the piss with all this pay the bondholder rubbish.

iirc the average council tax in England which is the equivalent to this is 1100 pounds.

so the idiots towing the line that its only 2 euro a week can expect this to rise to at least 900 euro a year by the end of the decade.

btw the council tax in england covers bins and the fire brigade along with many other things. Here we have to pay for them separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

If you have a mortgage then the bank own your house and since the government own the bank..wouldnt your house then be classed as Government Buildings" ?:confused:

The bank owns it? Fine, then the bank can pay the household charge. Maybe their bondholders would like to make some more dodgy investments in Irish property? Sure they know we'll all be forced to pay them back if they screw it up again so I don't see any reason for them to refuse :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

iirc the average council tax in England which is the equivalent to this is 1100 pounds.

so the idiots towing the line that its only 2 euro a week can expect this to rise to at least 900 euro a year by the end of the decade.

btw the council tax in england covers bins and the fire brigade along with many other things. Here we have to pay for them separately.

This is interesting! Tell me more about the UK.. When someone calls out the fire brigade there, are they sent a bill what happens here in ireland?

yep 1100 pounds which is 1300 euros!

thats over 100 euro a month!

and we still have to pay refuse and any fire brigade on top of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Later10 wrote: »
    The revenue generated from this charge is going to bring in something like €160 million. Not a game changer in the scheme of things.

It will cost you about 28 cent per day, and the money is to be spent on local services like street lighting and other services that benefit householders.

A 1c tax on text messages would bring in around €80,000,000.. not a game changer either, but how many people would support that?

A 1c tax on text messages would bring in around €80,000,000.. not a game changer either, but how many people would support that?

I'd say the secret Bondholders would support any way of getting taxpayers money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

The property tax will probably bring in only 50 million, if 500,000 people bother paying it.

By contrast public service pay + pension now is about 10,000,000,000 more than it was ten years ago. Go figure where the savings can be made. Go figure where the 100 quids end up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement