Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw a very young kid being sold a copy of MW3 in Gamestop today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bejesus andy, you really overreact much. First second hand sales, now they sale game to mother. Do you work for game? As i can see you campaign vs GameStop lol :).

In all fairness fair play to salesman for warning and saying that it is a game for mature gamers. It was up to mother to buy it or not. The fella and at the till did his job.
    This is the problem with nanny state in Ireland. "How dare you sale me the game, which I am buying for my 8 year old son! How dare you not taking responsibility for my own child and sell me this game!"

Parents can't think and take responsibility for theyr own spawns and expect others to do it for them. Parents need to have finger out and start doing theyr own parenting and not blame salesperson who already did theyr job with flying colors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Think you should change your title of the threat OP, it's misleading

Saw a mother being sold a copy of MW3 in Gamestop today.

that would be more appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Helix wrote: »
    yes they can

its not a law, its a suggestion

Fair enough. When I was working in retail last year we couldn't. They prob just didn't want parents storming in angrily.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 45,940 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

at the end of the day...... it is just a freaking game. You aren't actually killing people, it is sprites on a screen.

I've always played 'violent' games and it has never caused me any issues. GTA 1 to whatever, GoldenEye, Doom etc - all violent games and I played them all when they came out (GTA was a christmas present when I was in 1st year).

They are just games - as long as the kid is being properly raised in terms of being taught right from wrong and moral obligations and the like, there shouldn't be an issue. I'd have no problem letting a 10 year old play COD, as long as I don't plan on it being their teacher and moral compass.

Danonino. wrote: »
    I remember selling Vice City (ouch I feel old) to a guy who asked why was it over 18s. I replied that it was like playing an over the top version of Scarface. Turns out it was a christmas present for his 10 year old kid :o

I canceled Christmas :(

He probably bought it for himself then.

My 4 yr old nephew plays Left 4 Dead with me sometimes, he loves it and knows it's just a game and zombies aren't real YET!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I've always played 'violent' games and it has never caused me any issues.

My grandfather smoked 40 a day til he was 92, don't see why there's all this fuss about smoking!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Bejesus andy, you really overreact much. First second hand sales, now they sale game to mother. Do you work for game? As i can see you campaign vs GameStop lol :).

Actually I very rarely shop in GAME, I prefer Gamestop, they are always a fiver cheaper etc. If it was GAME I saw this happen in, I would be less surprised at their ethics, but it turns out the tables are turned on this one!
    at the end of the day...... it is just a freaking game. You aren't actually killing people, it is sprites on a screen.

Until the kid tries and re-inacts what happens in the last few minutes of the SP on his sister cause it was SOOO cool in the game, and he thought he was only playing with her, he didn't mean to hurt her after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,940 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Andy!! wrote: »
    Until the kid tries and re-inacts what happens in the last few minutes of the SP on his sister cause it was SOOO cool in the game, and he thought he was only playing with her, he didn't mean to hurt her after all.

Horsecrap. Absolute crap.

I didn't kill or maim my brother when I was younger - you know why - cause I was taught, regardless of what I see in a video game, that shooting or stabbing someone is very much a 'no-no'. I was taught to treat others with respect and be careful of my actions. I was taught about the dangers of injuring people, and how easy it can be done. If a kid hurts or kills someone reinacting what they have seen in a game, or on TV, it is because the parent has massively failed them in far bigger aspects of their upbringing than letting them play a violent computer game.

Again, I'd have no problem letting my younger brother play Call of Duty, because they are aware it is just a game and that actions carried out within it are not suitable for real life - that is part of the reason we play games - to do things not possible or appropriate in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Its not the responsibility of a shop to parent other people children. The guy at the till did his job by telling the mother about the violent context, and that where there respobsibility on the matter ends. People really need to look after there own children, and not expect others to do so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My young lad plays BF3 and mw2,he only plays multiplayer as the cinematic nature of single player is a lot more graphic than running around shooting guys in multiplayer.
    He is fully aware the golden rule is no single player.
    He has enough cop on to understand its a game,ask him what his favourite game is and which he plays most he will answer "minecraft" everytime,infact he hasnt touched bf3 or mw2 since he dicovered minecraft.
    I supervise his gametime as his pc and console are set up close to mine and we allow him about 60-90 mins per evening on the evenings he has no soccer or gaa training/matches and usually the same time id be at my pc which allows me to see whats going on.

Parents blindly buying the likes of mw3 etc and letting the kid play unsupervised is totally different imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

guess they could refuse to sell on the basis of 'store reserves the right to refuse service' type clause, but tbh, she could just go somewhere else, have the kid wait outside

bottom line really, is the kid was going to be playing mw3 christmas morning, no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It could also be that the mother doesn't know any better.

My mother still says "are you not a bit old to be playing games". She still thinks games are something for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The fact that alot of parents don't take an active interest in their children's hobbies and interests is an unfortunate one and sees games/TV/DVDs etc. being used as a babysitting service in lieu of proper supervision/engagement.

Pure laziness that no amount of legislation can fix let alone one that is merely a recommendation.

Age ratings aren't just some arbitrary measure dreamed up to appease the liberal bleeding hearts. Children shouldn't be witness to violence whether it is "only make-believe" via actors or realistic CGI. It's not only common sense it's backed up by research. Monkey See - Monkey Do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The fact that the mother was there with the kid and the salesperson warned her it was a violent game makes this thread into a vendetta against Gamestop. To tell you the truth I honestly think the OP is making this story up, probably because he got 12 euro credit for trading in MW3.

The fact that the mother was there with the kid and the salesperson warned her it was a violent game makes this thread into a vendetta against Gamestop. To tell you the truth I honestly think the OP is making this story up, probably because he got 12 euro credit for trading in MW3.

What a load of horse****. Firstly, I have already said I prefer GS as a retailer and pick up ALL my software there.

Secondly, I bought MW3 on PC. And rather enjoyed it. You can't trade in PC titles, and I'll be playing MP for the next year at least.

And the fact that the mother was there does not make it a vendetta, stop talking BS.

This was a cartoon in 80s, i just wonder where did we all lost our balls and became a big bunch of pussies...

MW3 looks like ( and is ) a walk in a park compared to this lovely cartoon. and it WAS a cartoon for children!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

wes wrote: »
    Its not the responsibility of a shop to parent other people children. The guy at the till did his job by telling the mother about the violent context, and that where there respobsibility on the matter ends. People really need to look after there own children, and not expect others to do so.

This exactly. The certification system is there as a guideline letting people know the level of content within a product. If a parent chooses to expose their child to mature content deemed, by an appointed and approved certification board, suitable only for adults then, sadly, that is the parents choice and responsibility.

If the child had been sold the game himself with no parent present this would be a different matter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Was not impressed to visit Gamestop today to find a 8-9 year old boy being sold MW3. The clerk warned his mother of the graphic nature of the game, however they should have been flat out denied a copy by the sales assistant, it was very clear it was for a very young boy as he brought the game to the till while his mother paid. I'm surprised by Gamestops policy of only issuing a warning; but I guess it comes down to the money at the end of the day. Shame on the mother as well.:mad:

Am I just getting old or is Gamestops policy just not cool? When I was 8-9 I was playing Super Mario Land 2 on the Gameboy, not watching a child be blown apart in a gas attack that halves Europe's population... Not to mention what happens at the end of the SP!

As said, if the mother bought it the store had no right to deny her the game, if they did they'd end up in court, at least the minion explained the problem to the mother, who went ahead and bought it.
    So Kudos to Gamestop for doing the right thing and not so much to the mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I don't see the what Gamestop have done wrong. They sold a game to an adult with a warning about its graphic content. You must work for the DailyMail OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

This thread was resolved in the third post.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    As said, if the mother bought it the store had no right to deny her the game, if they did they'd end up in court

Emm, no. The mother didnt seem the type (she wasnt a psychopathic american, I mean). The possibility is there though. Which makes me feel like

3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

Seriously, if thats what our world has come to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

This was a cartoon in 80s, i just wonder where did we all lost our balls and became a big bunch of pussies...

MW3 looks like ( and is ) a walk in a park compared to this lovely cartoon. and it WAS a cartoon for children!

Come on now.
    There is a huge difference between fantasy especially animated fantasy, even gruesome fantasy and this:

The 'No Russian' mission in MW2 comes to mind too.

I was playing resident evil, silent hill etc at 13ish but not at 8 which is what the OP was on about. You can say we have lost our balls but I really dont think a kid of 8/9 was the target audience of Call of Duty. I mean would you sit an 8 year old kid down to watch a nice wholesome episode of the Pacific?

That cartoon looks f*cking awesome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

There was a loop hole with Video games despite having age ratings its a voluntary scheme so it is not illegal for them to sell the game to any kid in the same way DVD's are actually protected. Not sure if that has been closed but i would think not. Most retailers do stick to it within reason but if a mother wants to buy it all they can do is advise against it.

Emm, no. The mother didnt seem the type (she wasnt a psychopathic american, I mean). The possibility is there though. Which makes me feel like

Seriously, if thats what our world has come to.

TBH, i think you're bitchin' 'bout nothing.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    TBH, i think you're bitchin' 'bout nothing.

i-iz-mighty-lion-hear-me-roar-meow-.jpg
    :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Emm, no. The mother didnt seem the type (she wasnt a psychopathic american, I mean). The possibility is there though.

The thing is, what sort of state would we be in if the consumers didn't have the right, as adults, to buy what they wanted in a shop?
    If the counter takes a look at you and decides that you're the wrong race, religion, sex or have the right income to be buying an item.
    It may sound like an over-reaction but it really is a slippery slope.
    So, we have free will and however stupid an adults decision is it's their mistake to make and however much we can see the danger in selling MW3 to a minor via their parent/guardian it's their right to do so and we have, rightly, no say in the matter.
    This may change over the years, as gaming children become increasingly savvy gaming parents and are able to make an informed choice with regard to what games their kids play.

This argument is just a copy of the same debate that has been raging for donkeys years, but in the 80's it was what videos are your kids watching, in the 90's it was what films are your kids seeing on DVD, in the 70's I'm sure it was something else.

It's all about parental responsibility and the fact that people make stupid decisions all the time and we are powerless to stop them, as they are to stop us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

There was a loop hole with Video games despite having age ratings its a voluntary scheme so it is not illegal for them to sell the game to any kid in the same way DVD's are actually protected. Not sure if that has been closed but i would think not. Most retailers do stick to it within reason but if a mother wants to buy it all they can do is advise against it.
    It's not really a 'loop hole' at all though. A 'loop hole' makes it sound like the Irish state wants to enforce it but game companies are getting around it.

In reality what happened was the game publishers entirely voluntary and of their own volition set up PEGI to rate games without any involvement or pressure from the governments.

The Irish government then took a look at the industry, realised PEGI and the game stores were doing a pretty decent job of regulating themselves so figured it's working fine and left them be. It's a suprisingly progressive move for the Irish government and seems to be working pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

As said many times, the responsibility, and correctly so, is on the parent, not the gamestore.

Thank you Danino. At least you get it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

A mother buying her young son Modern Warfare 3 really is parenting of the lowest calibre, she'd ought to feel ashamed of herself. What parent in their right mind would want to subject their children to a game as awful as that? And at that price!

Advertisement