Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

infrared heater

• 06-12-2011 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

I have my dogs sleeping in the utility. Its been getting cold lately and I was wondering should I get some sort of heater.

Can anyone recommend one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Get an electric oil filled rad. Leave it on a low setting and the mutts will be very cosy. No need for anything like an infra red heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LovelyHurlin

I use an electric halogen heater.
    My guy loves it.

They are very safe too - they do no burn the skin if you touch the heating panels, and they have a pressure kind of sensor on the bottom, so if they get knocked over they turn themselves off. I find this makes it safe to leave with my guy even if I'm gone out - I know he can't burn the house down, or burn his nose off if he decides to give it a sniff!

They are pretty cheap to run too, not like the old fashioned electric heaters!

I think you can pick them up fairly cheaply in the likes of woodies/argos etc.

Hope this helps:)

PS - this is what I am talking about (in case I wasn't explaining it very well!) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002S2ODBK/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/275-8246188-2984225?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=1WPH1XEM9NAHHQYVRT2D&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_i=B000FO6N3E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I use heatpads - way better to heat the dog than the whole room. The running costs are tiny & it's easy to put the pad in the dog's bed. You can also plug it into a plug in thermostat so that it turns on & off automatically.

They are for sale on ebay etc & the fun bit is that mine arrived in a box clearly marked as "the electric blanket for your dog" - postman loved it !

As a comparison that Halogen heater consumes 1200 watts & the heatpad uses about 10 watts !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

About 15 Degrees ambient temperature in the room and a dog will be very comfortable. I wouldn't use heat pads myself, would they not get a bit too warm after a while if the dog is laying on them like an electric blanket does for humans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wouldn't use heat pads myself, would they not get a bit too warm after a while if the dog is laying on them like an electric blanket does for humans?

No they are thermostatically regulated. The amount of heat is very small but it works because the heat is directly under the dog. In any event you only put a pad under 50% of the bed so that the dog can vary how much of it's body is being heated.

I bought one for my Greyhound but my Saluki & her would end up trying to push each other off of the warm bit, so I ended up with two :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a electric oil heater that has a thermastat & a timer. So I'll think I'll give that a go for a few nights.

The pads I saw on ebay were about €35 each - I have 3 dogs so it would be a bit expensive. Plus my lot tend to dig up their bedding & throw it around - not sure what they would do with pads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

paultf wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.

I have a electric oil heater that has a thermastat & a timer. So I'll think I'll give that a go for a few nights.

The pads I saw on ebay were about €35 each - I have 3 dogs so it would be a bit expensive. Plus my lot tend to dig up their bedding & throw it around - not sure what they would do with pads!

Amazon have the heat pads, the ones you put in the microwave for about £12, the snugglesafe ones, I think they're great, they stay warm for about 10 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The snuggle safe heat pads are good. Were your dogs outside before you moved them inside if so it might feel cold to you but they might be fine with the temperature. Check their bodies, paws, ears etc. to see if their bodies are warm obviously if they are very short haired or shivering then it's worth getting heating.

I find oil filled rads cheap enough to run and very effective as long as your dogs don't chew or get tangled up in the plug lead.

Advertisement