Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair old wooden chair

Options
  • 06-12-2011 11:57pm

Anyone know where in KK I could get some repairs done to an old wooden armchair? It has a couple of missing wooden pieces which would need woodturning skills to replace, and also some webbing work on the seat. So it's not just an upholstery job. It's old and well worn so I dont want to spend a lot on it.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

This seems like an opportunity to take a thread and turn it 370 degrees in an unexpected direction. I'm going to suggest that would be a cool project for a mens shed. I saw a flyer today for one in Kilkenny and I think they meet on Tuesdays but I don't know any more than that. Heard a little about them (general mens sheds) on the radio recently and thought it a cool idea.
    You can find out more from www.menssheds.ie
    Has anyone been? or spoken? or thought about them? Good manly fixing pointless stuff vibe IMO.
    Apologies if you think this a crap idea and I should know better but this is the Kilkenny forum after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Apologies if you think this a crap idea and I should know better but this is the Kilkenny forum after all...

If the chair is purely of sentimental value and not of antique value and all the op wants is it fixed then im sure it would be fine.

However, not to diminish the concept but if the chair is valuable as an antique then getting some men in a shed to fix it would not be the best idea.
    In this case I would recommend;

Heart Wood,
    Bridge Street.
    Freshford,
    Co. Kilkenny
    (056)8832694

This seems like an opportunity to take a thread and turn it 370 degrees in an unexpected direction. I'm going to suggest that would be a cool project for a mens shed. I saw a flyer today for one in Kilkenny and I think they meet on Tuesdays but I don't know any more than that. Heard a little about them (general mens sheds) on the radio recently and thought it a cool idea.
    You can find out more from www.menssheds.ie
    Has anyone been? or spoken? or thought about them? Good manly fixing pointless stuff vibe IMO.
    :D Great idea Philip, sounds like just the thing for retired or unemployed or hobby-seeking men, both from a social and practical point of view. Not sure if it'll happen soon enough to fix my chair though. And not being a man, I'd probably be barred!
    greenfly wrote: »
    If the chair is purely of sentimental value and not of antique value and all the op wants is it fixed then im sure it would be fine.

However, not to diminish the concept but if the chair is valuable as an antique then getting some men in a shed to fix it would not be the best idea.
    In this case I would recommend;

Heart Wood,
    Bridge Street.
    Freshford,
    Co. Kilkenny
    (056)8832694
    Thanks Greenfly. Definitely not a valuable antique so I'm reluctant to spend a lot on it. But I'll give them a ring for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

There is a lad down the lane beside Pat Carrolls that fixed antique furniture. I dont have a contact number but surely you can call down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I'll have to look into some of these people myself. I have a wooden chair that is broken and I would like to have it fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Phelan furnishings or something like that rings a bell... lane off ballybought st?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Phelan furnishings or something like that rings a bell... lane off ballybought st?
    Yeah that must be him.

He dosen't fix wheel chairs though:pac:

*I'll get my coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Tootsie reference?

I have heard good reports about that furniture feen down Ballybought street. I reckon he's worth getting in touch with.

Plug wrote: »
    Yeah that must be him.

He dosen't fix wheel chairs though:pac:

*I'll get my coat*
    :D

Advertisement