Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monasteries of the Moy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Faith2013

637 days is nothing in fairness. The Great Western Greenway was first discussed back as far as 2002/03 yet the first stretch (Newport-Mulranny) didn't open until 2010.

These things take time for a number of reasons, many mentioned in the op.

A bit of patience required.

Well Great Western Greenway was built on an old railway track... So the way was really already there... Since the monasteries on the Moy way does not exist I presume then it will take 20 years before we see anything.

Patience...... Come on. why can't they just say nothing has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Jeepers you're getting fierce excited there. Patience is a virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I have come to realised things will only happen when there is massive local pressure put upon the decision makers to get things moving.

Going on the figures generated from the Westport greenway the project is a no brainer.

Congrats to everyone involved, it is generally excepted that the gathering has been a success, now lets get this project underway !! Jobs are at stake

I have come to realised things will only happen when there is massive local pressure put upon the decision makers to get things moving.

Going on the figures generated from the Westport greenway the project is a no brainer.

Congrats to everyone involved, it is generally excepted that the gathering has been a success, now lets get this project underway !! Jobs are at stake

Exactly... Jobs are at stake.. Not just the lost jobs related to the project but also the hotels that will close in Ballina if we don't get more tourists to the town.

Sadly nothing at all has been done with this project. The monasteries on the Moy greenway project is no further today than when it was announced two years ago.

Nobody can tell me who is actually even working on this project. It seems the whole thing was just some PR stunt without substance.

Meanwhile many tourists go out to visit Moyne Abbey only to be greeted by a sign saying Beware of the Bull.. So they don't even enter to see a public site owned by the People of Ireland and Maintained of office of public works.

Its completely crazy how local government is organised. I would nearly swear that they don't want tourists to come to Ballina.

More Monasteries around Ballina-Killala than in Glendalough.. Yet ZERO effort to showcase them to tourists when we have THOUSANDS visiting knock every year.

So does anyone know of anybody working on this project,, as Nobody around Ballina seems to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

Faith2013 wrote: »
    Exactly...

I would nearly swear that they don't want tourists to come to Ballina.

More Monasteries around Ballina-Killala than in Glendalough.. Yet ZERO effort to showcase them to tourists when we have THOUSANDS visiting knock every year.

I have to agree. We have more attractions than most places in Ireland and nobody knows about them. There seems to be no motivation from the powers that be to promote the area. Anyone would think they were trying to keep Westport as the only town in Mayo with anything to offer. Its a joke.

• Advertisement

vintage01 wrote: »
    I have to agree. We have more attractions than most places in Ireland and nobody knows about them. There seems to be no motivation from the powers that be to promote the area. Anyone would think they were trying to keep Westport as the only town in Mayo with anything to offer. Its a joke.

I get the same impression. No focus to get the Monasteries on the Moy project up and running.

Hi, Since Moyne abbey falls under the OPW I suggest that anyone interested write to Brian Hayes brian.hayes@oir.ie to get an updated on this project. Since it has been 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 M.onthemoy

Hi, Since Moyne abbey falls under the OPW I suggest that anyone interested write to Brian Hayes brian.hayes@oir.ie to get an updated on this project. Since it has been 2 years.

Thanks I have written to him as well. Hope things start moving have not heard anything about it around Ballina. Certainly no work has taken place.

Would be good to a very min have a Path from the road to Moyne abbey. There is a sign beware of the bull there.

Hi, a friend of mine said information can be optained by emailing <snip>

If anyone gets a response can you post it here.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Admin note: I've edited the email address out of the above post. Posting someone else's email address in a public forum isn't good netiquette.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Admin note: I've edited the email address out of the above post. Posting someone else's email address in a public forum isn't good netiquette.

Apologies.It was the email Brian Hayes TD office sent me.

M.onthemoy wrote: »
    Apologies.It was the email Brian Hayes TD office sent me.

Hi was there any update?

Hi was there any update?

Nothing yet, but a Local TD has said he will look into the matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 mayotourism

Some responses from TD's

http://www.facebook.com/tourism4mayo

1234090_387566728039829_869015533_n.png

1381655_388599461269889_1758769144_n.png

Entrance to Moyne Abbey (663 days since the Monasteries on the Moy Greenway project was announced.

Photo taken today
    http://www.facebook.com/tourism4mayo

1273389_388668987929603_532679712_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I love the countdown on the facebook page highlighting the days since the announcement of the Monasteries of the Moy project and no action. It's fanatical and highlights how slow the wheels of bureaucracy turn.

Sad the that the government spent 17 million on yesterdays referendum, Yet can only allocate 40K to a study that has not even started. Enda's pet project to get rid of senators did not work and he wasted more money in the process.. Now its time to give a little focus to creating Jobs that will last.!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sad the that the government spent 17 million on yesterdays referendum, Yet can only allocate 40K to a study that has not even started. Enda's pet project to get rid of senators did not work and he wasted more money in the process.. Now its time to give a little focus to creating Jobs that will last.!!

MOD NOTE: Keep it on topic please, jobs and referendums aren't relevant to this.

yop wrote: »
    MOD NOTE: Keep it on topic please, jobs and referendums aren't relevant to this.

I agree, Referendum waste of money was off topic..

Jobs however is bang on topic. The project promised to bring jobs to Ballina-Killala Area, Nothing has happened, 40K feasibility study was promised, however nobody seems to know who is actually going to do the study and when the study will start.

What Politicians fail to see in Mayo is that from Ballina to Killala Rathfran we have a larger Monastic Settlement that Glendalough. Glendalough supports hundreds of Jobs. Sadly the heritage around Ballina is not supported. Esp Moyne Abbey (see the photo of the entrance above)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 ismoke

• Advertisement

Interesting document....it will cost 1.5 millon and part of the rational is work travel by cyclists from Killala to Ballina.

Interesting....

See this link here on the funding secured to deliver phase I of the project - 14km of cycling track linking Ballina to Killala. I didn't think they could pull this off. Credit due.

The 250k secured doesn't seem like a lot to develop it. The original plan had a figure of 1.55m. Looks like the actual route may not be that close to the actual monasteries. The devil is in the detail of the preferred route!

Anyone know the route? Is it the old train line or is it going to be actually along the river connecting beleek with Rosserk to Moyne abbey and then to Killala?

Mod please let this thread live as it is a relevant continuation given that it follows the funding and research stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭greenoverred

The funding granted yesterday seems to be for phase 1 of the project. Phase 2 is in the pipeline. I'd say phase 1 is probably a stretch from Ballina out through beleek. A lot of this land is owned by coilte so will be easier to get.

I hope if they are going ahead with this project it is done right. This has the potential to be huge if the right route is picked and the land secured. There is no point going on the wrong route just for the sake of it. The real test of the project will be the section from Rosserk to Killala. It's the most scenic part but will probably be the most difficult part to get agreement from landowners .

We'll done so far to everyone involved, but a lot of hard work yet if this project is going to be successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mezuzaj

The funding granted yesterday seems to be for phase 1 of the project. Phase 2 is in the pipeline. I'd say phase 1 is probably a stretch from Ballina out through beleek. A lot of this land is owned by coilte so will be easier to get.

I hope if they are going ahead with this project it is done right. This has the potential to be huge if the right route is picked and the land secured. There is no point going on the wrong route just for the sake of it. The real test of the project will be the section from Rosserk to Killala. It's the most scenic part but will probably be the most difficult part to get agreement from landowners .

We'll done so far to everyone involved, but a lot of hard work yet if this project is going to be successful.

Hey the Greenway from Ballina via Beleek already exists. 250K is not going to fund much. They need atleast 1.5 Million.

Also no mention about Moyne abbey.. Will it get a carpark for visitors?

Its nearly 3 years since they announced this project and the funding is holding up the development. Costing Jobs in Ballina.

It sounds like an election ploy by FG.

finisklin wrote: »
    here [/URL]on the funding secured to deliver phase I of the project - 14km of cycling track linking Ballina to Killala. I didn't think they could pull this off. Credit due.

The 250k secured doesn't seem like a lot to develop it. The original plan had a figure of 1.55m. Looks like the actual route may not be that close to the actual monasteries. The devil is in the detail of the preferred route!

Anyone know the route? Is it the old train line or is it going to be actually along the river connecting beleek with Rosserk to Moyne abbey and then to Killala?

Mod please let this thread live as it is a relevant continuation given that it follows the funding and research stages.

If the Greenway does not connect with the Monasteries then its a failed project.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yes, the timing is political. Anybody trying to say otherwise is acting silly.

Is anybody sure what exactly this funding is for? Going on the vague department for transport statement and the vague news report today, it seems to be for the posable first phase mentioned in the council report already linked to in this thread, ie Beleek to Rosserk.

But if that's the case and what exactly will the money buy is unclear. Is it for more planning or for planning and construction? As far as I know there has not been part 8 planning on this yet, is this correct?

I can see how a greenway from the town side of Beleek to Rosserk could be done easily enough -- taking in the current main path in Beleek (with a few bits improved on), a link between Beleek and a quite road with one or two houses on it, and a link between that road and Rosserk. But I can't cost this.

Having this route on the main back road along here would not be suitable, it would not be a greenway, and hopefully that's not the plan.

monument wrote: »
    Yes, the timing is political. Anybody trying to say otherwise is acting silly.

Is anybody sure what exactly this funding is for? Going on the vague department for transport statement and the vague news report today, it seems to be for the posable first phase mentioned in the council report already linked to in this thread, ie Beleek to Rosserk.

But if that's the case and what exactly will the money buy is unclear. Is it for more planning or for planning and construction? As far as I know there has not been part 8 planning on this yet, is this correct?

I can see how a greenway from the town side of Beleek to Rosserk could be done easily enough -- taking in the current main path in Beleek (with a few bits improved on), a link between Beleek and a quite road with one or two houses on it, and a link between that road and Rosserk. But I can't cost this.

Having this route on the main back road along here would not be suitable, it would not be a greenway, and hopefully that's not the plan.

To link Beleek to Rosserk is going to require more than 250K. Purchase of land and construction of the path is not cheap. They will probably use the money to extend the Beleek path as far as they can on the land they own, but it would go very far.

Its a shame, the amount of FG we have from Mayo in the Dail yet they can't sort this out. There is a far larger monastic settlement in Mayo than Glendalough however politicians around here seem to have their heads in the sand. I know they have tried to move this forward, but we lack the leadership to push for our corner here.

The reality is, developing the Monasteries on the Moy would bring 4 to 5 thousand tourists to Ballina a week from may to Sept. Look at the thousands who go to Wicklow.

We already have thousands of buses bring people to Knock every year, Ballina could easily link in with this showcasing the monasteries.

What do we have.. Moyne abbey inside a farm with no clear access, and a sign saying beware of the bull. Pathetic.

mezuzaj wrote: »

The reality is, developing the Monasteries on the Moy would bring 4 to 5 thousand tourists to Ballina a week from may to Sept. Look at the thousands who go to Wicklow.

Not sure what your basing this on...but that is a savage projection. That's bout 600 a day. The key thing is how you define tourists.....are they the ones that fly into an airport from a foreign country or ones that are Irish. Big difference in the quality in that the former spend more and are valuable to the local economy.

Yeah this is a political decision, no question. We need to see the route and the obvious one is to have this alongside the river to Rosserk and on to Moyne and Killala. 250k wont build anything that is required adjacent to the bank.

Note that the path at Beleek pulls away from the river and heads inland where the Crete boom is. So the starting point of the Rosserk link is going to be somewhere near the famine wall, IMO.

Lets see the detail in the route and the planning which is probably a long way off yet.

finisklin wrote: »
    Not sure what your basing this on...but that is a savage projection. That's bout 600 a day. The key thing is how you define tourists.....are they the ones that fly into an airport from a foreign country or ones that are Irish. Big difference in the quality in that the former spend more and are valuable to the local economy.

Yeah this is a political decision, no question. We need to see the route and the obvious one is to have this alongside the river to Rosserk and on to Moyne and Killala. 250k wont build anything that is required adjacent to the bank.

Note that the path at Beleek pulls away from the river and heads inland where the Crete boom is. So the starting point of the Rosserk link is going to be somewhere near the famine wall, IMO.

Lets see the detail in the route and the planning which is probably a long way off yet.

Yes 600 tourists a day to ballina from May to Sept. Very Very realistic figure. ballina has a pretty good park now on the river if you have a foot bridge from there into beleek it would be a good start. A walk from Ballina to Kilala covering the monasteries would draw thousands a week. You have lots of hotels around to cater for the traffic.
    plus Enniscrone. Ballina would become a destination for people. Look at Glendalough, its far small than what is around Ballina.

Also the Ballina to Kilalla Greenway would have a castle along it as a de-tour where people could have a drink/meal and visit the armary.

All that is needed is someone with vision for the town, because the reality is the potential is already there. Moyne abbey is stunning. Really. Then beyond Kilalla there is also a great abbey Rathfran, its not too far, the Greenway should encompass all 4 Monasteries, Round tower and the Castle.

I see you say its a savage projection. Which means that you don't really think it can happen,

Look at tayto park built from nowhere... it now gets 450,000 people a year.

You need to invest to get a payback.. It seems local politicians are too meek, nice people, but don't want to aim high.

Its a no brainer to let the assets go to waste here. Connect them all with a greenway and get tourists coming.

**** they also need to make sure Moyne Abbey has a proper visitors centre.. with a carpark and proper access. **** what we have today pathetic to the extreme.

• Advertisement

Not disagreeing with your figures..its good to be ambitious. Picking them out of the air is another thing especially when investment of this size is in question.

I know other projects that have many multiples of what's in question here come to fruition and have visitors targets that are debatable. That's why the quality of the visitor is key and to exclude domestic tourists.

Money is easy spent, getting the return is difficult.

IMO, monasteries of the moy is a brillant project. We need to see the route to gauge how good it is going to be.

Well done on some great ideas and your vision. They are all positive.

Advertisement