Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clay trap issues

• 07-12-2011 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I got a do all clay trap and put it together,I can't seem to get the clays to fly straight?
    It keeps banking hard to the left and not going very far
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭scoobydoo07

hi there,make sure the trap is firmly in the ground or attached to a weighted tyre/wheel.these traps are very light and when u set them off they need to be stable so all the force goes to the throwing arm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭.243

when setting the clay set it at least half way down the arm from the swivel point of the trap and keep adjusting the following clays down the arm they travel straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

I have it well bolted down to an old jeep tyre so it's not budging!

I think I need to just sit down with a full box of clays and fine tune the way it flys,I think the issue in with the clip that holds the clay,there is no wing nut for it,you have to bend it to set it,I can see it being a prob when throwing stacked pairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

It could be the throwing arm on the trap, try polishing it up and maybe put a little oil on it to let the clay slide off better.

Croppy Boy wrote: »
    It could be the throwing arm on the trap, try polishing it up and maybe put a little oil on it to let the clay slide off better.

Oooooh, good idear :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Croppy Boy wrote: »

yeah that should help rub it down with fine sandpaper and maybe rub some bee's wax on it, any pitures? what make is it? if not travelling far the spring may be too loose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

If the trap releases in an anti clockwise direction (nearly all of them do), this may be a result of the clays being placed too far forward on the throwing arm.

Try pulling the clay back a little closer to the rear of the throwing arm until you find the right point that will deliver a true line of flight.

Generally, clays further forward of the 'true point' will veer left of centre and those behind the 'true point' will fly right of centre.

Please let us know how you get on.

C.D.

It's a do all competitor
    http://www.amazon.com/Do-All-Outdoors-Competitor-Full-Cock/dp/B000FDSUEK

I have it throwing kinda ok ish :rolleyes:

Won't throw stacked paires very well :confused:

I'll try make a vid but my phone doesn't really show the clays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

It's a do all competitor
    http://www.amazon.com/Do-All-Outdoors-Competitor-Full-Cock/dp/B000FDSUEK

I have it throwing kinda ok ish :rolleyes:

Won't throw stacked paires very well :confused:

I'll try make a vid but my phone doesn't really show the clays

never seen a manual trap throw stacked clays before!! cheap too, i have a fairy trap(about 35yrs old) and a few boman traps(manuals) but i have them mounted on home made frames, comfort is paramount at my age :D,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

I had a hoppes trap the same as the do all competitor , I used it once to great effect but after that it did not play ball.
    I now have the do all 3/4cock trap and it is a fantastic trap.
    Do All have videos on there website regarding the operation of their traps, it is worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Myself and the buddy have the dual 3/4 cocked do all trap, great investment. We has an issue with clays coming out wobbling but we sorted it by adjusting the wing cut that holds the clay to the arm. Sorted now and throwing nice birds for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

I have one of them traps aswel, it is useless! I think the problem with the one I had was that the clay was tilting over the edge of the arm as it was being thrown, then the arm was not in contact with the edge of the clay and just sort of lobbed it.

Before that i had a hoppes and it was a great little trap, fired thousands of clays until the arm broke and I bought the do-all. Ended up making an arm out of some galvanised sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭czgalway

im after buying one of these traps aswel it wont throw for sh1t its like the clay tries to flip up as the arm swings did anyone find a way to get them to throw straight and level, not banking left i know this thread is a few weeks old but any help will be much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭kemen

the plate maybe to high at the front causeing the clay to rise and the arm dig in! try lowering the front and rising the back slightly if u can!

czgalway wrote: »
    im after buying one of these traps aswel it wont throw for sh1t its like the clay tries to flip up as the arm swings did anyone find a way to get them to throw straight and level, not banking left i know this thread is a few weeks old but any help will be much appreciated

I go mine working, you have to just sit down with a box of clays and keep adjusting it till it works right!
    I have mine set to the middle height
    Make sure it's bolted to the wheel good and tight so it doesn't move when pulled, I'll post a pic of the position of the clay on the arm to get you started

i was out there again trying to get it set up i mounted onto the rim tight the best i can do so far is about 30-35 yards distance is that all they will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

off tracking the thread a bit, but where do you get your clay's? i'm looking to get some of the US style ones that break into smoke as opposed to just cracking, thanks

rgugliel wrote: »
    off tracking the thread a bit, but where do you get your clay's? i'm looking to get some of the US style ones that break into smoke as opposed to just cracking, thanks

A clean early shot will dust any clay!

czgalway wrote: »
    i was out there again trying to get it set up i mounted onto the rim tight the best i can do so far is about 30-35 yards distance is that all they will do?

Mine goes about 50 yards (paces:D), tbh your not gonna simulate real game for €25 but it does the job

Mine WILL NOT throw stacked paires!

Here is a pic of where I have my clasp,make sure the clasp is loose enough so it just barly holds the clay,and the spring is good and tight

151d4844.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭kemen

rgugliel wrote: »

there called flash clays! there expensive enough! im not sure but they could be 60 euro a box! but i dont kno! you'd have to go straight to a sullpier to get them id say!

• Advertisement

thanks steve it still wouldnt go any further so i just made a new one using the arm off that one i tested it today will throw over 70 yards,its a 3/4 cock design ,i think the other one was so bad because when it was cocked the light angle was bending with the strain.if it was stronger it prob would have been fine here is a picture of my one now,il put up a finished pic when its ready

Advertisement