Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Either DO or DON'T....

• 07-12-2011 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Its time I started this blog once and for all and got my ass into gear to start clocking up some mileage. I am hoping that this blog will give the spark to begin and when things start to fall away, I hope it wil get me back on track.

I began running in the summer, for no real reason other than just wanting to try it. I loved it... Now I got lazy and havent run in about 2 months with work and other commitments. But heres hoping thats about to change...

So here goes my blog. I have no idea how it will go over the next few weeks/months, it may even remain blank! My goal is a marathon in June of next year and I want to complete it well. I dont believe in just surviving a marathon (where did I hear that phrase?)

Times hit once upon a time:
    5k - 21.50
    10K - none
    HM - 1.53.30

Goals for 2012:
    5K - Sub 20
    10K - not sure yet.
    HM - Sub 1.40
    Marathon - Sub 3.40

Lets see how it goes :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Sounds like your goals for 2012 are not too far off my own!

You should definitely try to stick with the training log but also join in on the 1,000 mile thread on the main page - Nothing like a bit of gentle competitive spirit to sway the decision when you are debating to go for a run in the cold/wet/snowy weather!!

Best of luck with it anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Got the cob webs outta the legs tonight with a nice and easy run. No stop watch or timer on this, gonna just run for a while now to get back into it.

December 7th 2011:
    6 miles - Easy.

Felt fine but the legs werent as strong as they used to be. 10 miles would have been a struggle I think. First night back, be patient!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

As belcarra it seems that my goals are not to far off yours. Will be interested to keep an eye on your blog. Best of luck.

10th December 2011:

5.5 miles.

Done at a fairly fast pace and also included a long, steep hill. Felt good to open up the lungs a bit. Note to self: I ditched my lunarglide 3s today and went back to the Saucony Triumph 6. I definitely noticed the extra heel in the saucony but think I could feel the road more in them. Idea: get Triumph 9s...

Also, just heard there is a 4 mile race tomorrow. Think I will go for it.

Right, been missing for a while from the aul log but I blam Christmas for that. I have not lost the will though.

Monday 2nd of Jan 2012:
    5m Road Race - finishing time 37.30 - Average pace per mile 7.30

As of now I am determined to kick into training mode. I am entered into Dungarvan 10 mile at end of January and I would like to target an ambitious sub 80 minutes :eek:

• Advertisement

Thursday Jan 5th:

6 miles Easy

Wed 11th Jan' 2012

7 Miles @ 8.15 per mile.

Alot of the last miles were in the 8.00 per mile pace range. Dungarvan 10 is the next race and I would love to hit sub 80 but I think it will be closer to 82/83 minutes.

Lets see...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

You should be well able for 80 mins, especially with your 5 mile
    race at 7:30 pace ,running Dungarvan my self looking to beat 79min.

[HTML] You should be well able for 80 mins [/HTML]
    McMillans calculator agrees with you also, but I'm a little less optimistic :D

Thurs 12th Jan 2012

8 miles EASY.

Ran first 3 miles very easy (10 min/mile) next 3 at (9-9.30 per mile) and finished with one 8 min mile.

Overall, legs were very tired after this probably due to the tough session on Wed. Need to rest up and will get some easy miles in next time out.

Haven't been logging as much lately, seem to have been worn out for a little while. Any how, with not much done in the last 2 weeks, I tackled the Dungarvan 10. The last post shows my optimism to get sub 80. Before the race, I was thinking around 84-85 simply due to lack of running and overall endurance.

Result:

Jan 29th - Dungaravan 10 Mile race:
    78 Minutes and a few seconds...

Fast course or not, I am very very happy with this. Time to Kick on now!

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Well i thought that I should talk about my running again, in the only place I can post without looking like a self-crazed lunatic.
    My relationship with running has been on and off like a whores knickers over the last few months, but I am delighted to say that as of the last month or so it has been on! So much so, that I have now even had a new PB over 10 miles which has been enough to bring me back out of blogging retirement

I am fairly certain that I am going to enter the Cork marathon and I am going to do it and hope I dont drown in a puddle of my own vomit around mile 20. With that decision, has come my desire to increase my training. I have been running pretty solid since the Mallow 10 road race where i finished in 79 minutes. That was only 4 weeks ago I know, but that little bit of consistent training has really helped. A summary of my times are below and as you can see I have made a vast improvement on my 10 mile time yesterday. Given the amount of alcohol taken on by me on Thursday and Friday, coupled with the fact that it was a very hard course, I really wasnt expecting any PB.

Dungarvan 10 - 78.30

Balycotton - Blew up due to sickness - 84

Mallow 10 - Just back - 79

Kilnaboy 10 - 75 :cool:

Averaging 40 miles a week from now until the Cork marathon, but I am loving the running right now!!!

Hello Blog, remember me? Its been a while...

Well, I was gonna start a fresh blog for my latest push on running but I
    thought to hell with it. I will keep this one alive and view my progress (at this rate it will be over a 10 year period)

And now to recap. As per the last port, its been about 6 months since I was
    running and at my fittest. The race that still stands out in my mind is a
    75 minute PB over ten miles on what was a real tough course. Since then I really have not run at all. In early September, I entered a half marathon at the last minute. No training done and just back from two weeks in Lanzarote of eating and drinking. Bleeding toes and blisters and bullet nipples aside, I managed to get home in 1.58. Nothing special I know, but this is now my upper limit and it should be all improvement from here. Half marathon target 1.40 - 1.45

So right now, I have two goals, a short term and a medium term.

In the short term, I want to target a 70 minute 10 miler in either Ballycotton
    or Mallow early next year. I am not sure how possible this will be but
    I am going to give it a lash. I think if I can regain some of my fitness
    relatively quick i.e before Christmas, I will have a chance.

In the medium term, I want to run a sub 3.30 marathon at the start of
    summer next year (possibly Cork). I think this is probably a much harder to goal \
    to reach. I wont be to distressed if I dont hit 70 mins over 10 miles but
    the idea is to get as close as possible and hopefully set me up nicely
    for the marathon plan - P&D up to 50 miles per week.

So on with the show. For the next number of weeks i will attempt to run
    2/3 times per week as I also play another sport 3 times a week which is
    affecting my running for now. Long and slow is the plan to try to build my
    aerobic base and endurance. I will keep the fast stuff for next year.

Advertisement