Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So it's that time of year again...

• 07-12-2011 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

How do all the cat owners out there cope with the Christmas tree? I've already had to untangle mine from it 3 times and have a nasty scratch on my back to show for it! Last year I used some of the bitter anti chew spray and that seemed to do the trick, might have to invest in more of it tomorrow. Also trying a bit of sound aversion, every time they go near it I make some loud sound!

How does everyone else deter their pests (I mean pets...) from destroying the Christmas tree?! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

How do all the cat owners out there cope with the Christmas tree? I've already had to untangle mine from it 3 times and have a nasty scratch on my back to show for it! Last year I used some of the bitter anti chew spray and that seemed to do the trick, might have to invest in more of it tomorrow. Also trying a bit of sound aversion, every time they go near it I make some loud sound!

How does everyone else deter their pests (I mean pets...) from destroying the Christmas tree?! :pac:

I must own little angels! Neither cat nor dog passes any heed of the tree, the only thing we had a slight issue with was they both kept curling up and sleeping on the skirt and there was a permanent hairy ring on it, but that was easily solved by placing tins on the skirt and giving them both cosy new beds! Always afraid though of the dog mistaking the tree for an 'outside' tree and peeing on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Haha, 5 cats here - 2 are kittens, and it's their very first Christmas tree, it's so exciting for them! Fake tree, cheap decorations, I just let them go for it. It's worth it for the entertainment:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Zapperzy you are very lucky with yours! Im lucky I dont have a dog in the house at the moment, would hate the thoughts of pee causing an electrical problem, could be very dangerous. My cats arent as bad as other years, their first Christmas was the worst! We got them neutered around the 18th and the vet had us warned they would be groggy from the anesthetic. So we had the fire lit and their bed put out in front of it so they could sleep it off in comfort.... Tge second we opened their basket the 2 were straight up the tree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

planetX wrote: »
    I just let them go for it. It's worth it for the entertainment:D
    Me too..its Beanies new hideout, he's obsessed with it and just sits on the floor right in the middle of it thinking he cant be seen.:cool: 3/4 of the bottom row of baubles are scattered around the floor from him pawwing them off. Doesnt bother me...he's having great fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I've relented, they are allowed at it - just move all the delicates out of reach! I bought em a load of new toys today but they were all ignored in preference for the tree... sigh! So much fun to watch though, little lunatics :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement