Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports F1 team to be unveiled

• 07-12-2011 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7355582/Sky-line-up-announced-on-Weds

Ok lets get the rumors flying for a few hours before its announced. We know Brundle will be the main commentator. I went to school with Rachel Wyse and I know she has always had an interest in racing so she may well be the eye candy, I mean female interviewer. I think the old chap off ITV will be presenting, Steve something and Tony Jardine also. Blundell used to do work on the Indycar show, maybe he will be involved

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Brundle, Croft and Davidson in the comms box with Ted Kravitz and Natalie Pinkham in the pits. Steve Ryder to present the shows with Kravitz and Georgie Thompson presenting a "magazine show" as well.

I was a bit surprised at Davidson moving across but he's a great commentator and if BBC werent going to offer him the chance to commentate on their TV coverage you can easily understand why he moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That's a good line up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

The have also put up an FAQ about the new channel:
    Link

One part of it will be of interest to UPC customers:
    Will the channel be available on Virgin and BT Vision?
    Excuse the fence-sitting non-reply, but it's an issue we're still investigating. As soon as we know for certain, we'll let you know.

I guess whatever happens with cable providers in the UK will apply over here too.

In terms of the presenter line up I'm pretty happy with it. I'm just waiting for the sh1tstorm over Georgie Thompson, and the fact that she got done for drink drive this year, to kick off.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

God I hope they don't let Steve Ryder anywhere near the drivers. Had enough of his doe-eyed-ness at Lewis when it was on ITV!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

frostie500 wrote: »
    Brundle, Croft and Davidson in the comms box with Ted Kravitz and Natalie Pinkham in the pits. Steve Ryder to present the shows with Kravitz and Georgie Thompson presenting a "magazine show" as well.

I was a bit surprised at Davidson moving across but he's a great commentator and if BBC werent going to offer him the chance to commentate on their TV coverage you can easily understand why he moved.

Sounds great. Brundle & Crofty will go very well together.

No Coulthard - Bliss! Any mention anywhere of what EJ is doing?

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Sounds great. Brundle & Crofty will go very well together.

No Coulthard - Bliss! Any mention anywhere of what EJ is doing?
    EJ is staying with the BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Well I guess I've no choice but to find a way to afford Sky (Or download it when Im in college).

Brundle, Crofty and Ant together > Jake and EJ anyday. So happy that Crofty is finally a TV commentator.

Who the hell do the BBC get to commentate now? Ledgard? That's embarrassing they didn't pony up enough for Crofty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

So it looks like the cheapest way to get all the F1 races next year from Sky will be €40 per month? That's not as bad as I was expecting, seeing as you don't have to sign up for Sky sports now. Still pricey though.
    I had planned to get a second dish up for RTL and somehow stream the BBC 5 Live commentary along side it, but now that Sky have taken BBC's radio commentators too that option looks less inviting.
    Is there any way to get Setanta via satellite and not through NTL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

While I'm gutted to see it go from BBC (cos it was free) my parents have a new 50" TV and a Sky Sports subscription so at least I have decent access to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Well I guess I've no choice but to find a way to afford Sky (Or download it when Im in college).

Who the hell do the BBC get to commentate now? Ledgard? That's embarrassing they pony up for Crofty.

You could always watch F1 in a pub if you like.

I can't see Legard coming back. If he does, my finger will be hovering over the mute button. ;)
    Vegeta wrote: »
    While I'm gutted to see it go from BBC (cos it was free) my parents have a new 50" TV and a Sky Sports subscription so at least I have decent access to this.

F1 on a 50" TV, now that is sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'll miss Lee McKenzie.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Pretty lazy from sky but can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Glad Brundle has moved, his knowledge of the sport, cars, drivers and teams is second to none.
    A bit peeved at Ryder coming back, he was awful on ITV.
    Ted Kravitz does great work and is very knowledgeable also.
    Pity about Lee McKenzie..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

sham69 wrote: »
    Glad Brundle has moved, his knowledge of the sport, cars, drivers and teams is second to none.
    A bit peeved at Ryder coming back, he was awful on ITV.
    Ted Kravitz does great work and is very knowledgeable also.
    Pity about Lee McKenzie..

Steve Ryder isn't part of the live team

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7356971/Sky-reveal-2012-F1-team

Great news and i'm delighted it will be Croft beside Brundle! Can't wait for next season now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    She annoys me bigtime, she rarely if every has anything useful.

90% of her interviews consist of walking up to a driver who has just crashed and says "pretty disappointing race for you jensen/lewis/alonso"

I don't think it's her wit that'll be missed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

90% of her interviews consist of walking up to a driver who has just crashed and says "pretty disappointing race for you jensen/lewis/alonso"

Oh,she actually talks does she?!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

I'm pretty sure Davidson was working fee lance because he was doing Indycar with Sky for the 2011 season was he not?

I'd imagine he was freelance as he's still an active driver. He wasn't doing IndyCar though, that was Johnny Mowlem and James Rossiter for most races. Davidson just jumped in for the Dan Wheldon tribute show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

"Just tell us what happened.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Will this coverage on SKY have ad during it like ITV did?

• Advertisement

Look at Lightning with his 20 year old wife. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

kwalshe wrote: »
    Will this coverage on SKY have ad during it like ITV did?

It's on the sky we get over here. BBC commentary this year, no ad breaks. but no buildup either, it only starts when the FIA colours zoom around the screen about 5 mins before the start of the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Although the following clips are slightly off-topic, they do have a Sky vs. BBC theme and some parts of each are very funny. Have a watch. Oh, and thank God they are not letting Steve Rider do any live T.V!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 potholes84

Anybody know if this will be available in the standard skysports package or do I have to go get a HD package.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I believe you get formula 1 channel in standard definition with skysports package and High definition with just a HD pack and no sports pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

the worst thing about f1 moving to sky is that ill have to decide which one to watch when the bbc will be showing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sheeps wrote: »
    the worst thing about f1 moving to sky is that ill have to decide which one to watch when the bbc will be showing it

Brundle & Crofty on Sky? No question if ya ask me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I'm a bit disappointed with the line up, I naively assumed we'd have the F1 D+ team back. Matt Lorenzo presenting, Damon Hill as the the expert, Ben Edwards and Watty in the commentary box. Made 2002 such a great year to watch F1. Plus I had money to spend on F1 then. Now it's more or less the same old ITV team.

Maybe the Beeb will get Ben Edwards to replace Brundle. Now that would be something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Kinda looking forward to this now I have to admit. I like the idea of a dedicated F1 channel so no worry about it running too long and dispruting the boring Sunday afternoon/evening tv schedule. Also no ad breaks makes it very appealing although to be honest, I like F1 so much I would probably have paid for it even if there were ad breaks.

Not sure what the BBC will do now. I feel kind of bad for them, its like Sky came in and stole a load of their people. But at the same time, the BBC suits are constantly saying they have to cut costs, so Sky did them a favour and the BBC have a few less salaries to pay now too :D

• Advertisement

It does look good, the sky setup. They have caught me out Abit. I got new dish and set up to receive rtl. I wasn't expecting a dedicated channel or the pricing they have now come up with. Skysports is not a runner for me as I'd watch little else on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

mickdw wrote: »
    It does look good, the sky setup. They have caught me out Abit. I got new dish and set up to receive rtl. I wasn't expecting a dedicated channel or the pricing they have now come up with. Skysports is not a runner for me as I'd watch little else on it.

The ads on RTL are a bollocks, though Niki Lauda's ramblings more than make up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

grrrr, was all set with the RTL / 5live set-up as well :o

Here's hoping that al jazeera sport will pick this up :D coz there is no way I am going to pay poxy sky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Yeah, if you have Sky HD you will get the F1 HD channel for free. Although does that mean non HD and non Sky Sports subscribers get the F1 standard definition channel for free?

G-Money wrote: »

Yeah, if you have Sky HD you will get the F1 HD channel for free. Although does that mean non HD and non Sky Sports subscribers get the F1 standard definition channel for free?
    No you need HD or sports or both to get f1. I have basic package and already have HD box etc so it would be 15 extra per month which is alot cheaper than expected for HD dedicated channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

wow, Jenson really ripped the pi** out of Ryder in that clip on the previous page.
    Very very funny.
    Very cringeworthy aswell though.
    Glad he is not on the live side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

ro_chez wrote: »

I think I must be the only person that doesnt like Ben Edwards as a commentator!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I think I must be the only person that doesnt like Ben Edwards as a commentator!

I think he's brilliant. A bit like Murray Walker, but without the mistakes. This is the one thing that might stop me losing interest in F1 next year. I just wish the BBC had signed him from the beginning. He would have been great with Brundle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Can I just say, yee haw! Ben Edwards will finally get the exposure he deserves, and I will be enjoying my races exclusively on the BBC!

Search youtube for CART Michigan 500 in 2000, Montoya v Andretti. Sit back and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Just saw the ad for the sky F1 channel, I just hope that they do a good job of it.

• Advertisement

Search youtube for CART Michigan 500 in 2000, Montoya v Andretti. Sit back and enjoy.

Any year. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Sorry to wind back the natural progression of a thread - I read that Natalie Pinkham is going across to Sky also. Has there been a poll on whether you prefer McKenzie or Pinkham (for interviews not looks - we'll do that one after the important one)???!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement