Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TDI blown turbo..??

Options
  • 07-12-2011 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Well lads,I bought a 00 mk4 golf gt tdi (110bhp) there about a month ago.it hasn't really been moved form out the back since because i was trying to save for tax & insurance.
    I was planning on sorting it all out Monday morning.The time came anyway on Sunday night when i admitted to myself id ****ed up big time.The night i got it i gave it a good hard rev and it just stalled,i had some trouble restarting and on about the third attempt it fired up perfectly.
    Ever since iv had no trouble starting it or with stalling but if i harshly accelerate in the little room i have,maybe on the fifth or sixth time a tonne of smoke comes out of the exhaust (white,sometimes with a tinge of blue or brown) and the engine idles very roughly(only when smoking after harsh acceleration ).I was in denial with the last month saying to myself ah i just pushed it a bit too hard when it was cold
    It happened again Sunday night and i said enough's enough.I described the problem to a mechanic and he said the turbo immediately,i had a job to get a price out of him but then he said the last turbo he put into a golf cost 1400!!
    I got my uncle to come in and have a look at it last night,he immediately said the turbo again when i described it to him,He took it out the road and this is the one bit of hope I'm clinging onto,We went out the road like a bullet and came back in like a hearse.
    Although it's definitely a problem with the turbo the fact that we had boost (and loads of it) at all might mean that its not the turbo itself,maybe a cracked pipe or something's clogged
    Any one have any ideas before i spend a fortune just to diagnose it(and im having some trouble finding a mechanic with a VAG diagnostics).Oh yea i found turbos on ebay for about 400 quid (brand new,some crowd in England)any one have any ideas on how much it would cost on labour,surley that mechanic's not chargin a grand on labour!?!?

Anyway the main point does anyone have any ideas on whether i need a new turbo before i go spending what little money i have??or shuld i go to the gaurds because iv'e been sold a car that's not road worthy and that's against the law???

Any help greatly appreciated......Sound

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You have no recourse if you bought it privately. And it was obviously working when you bought it,

Learn lesson

Move on

Trust mechanics opinion rather than Internet guesswork

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I think you're getting confused between roadworthy and having some problems.

If the car had some serious defect that meant it was unsafe to drive, that would make it unroadworthy. A turbo issue would not fall under that category. Private sales have no comeback and it seems like you had your suspicions when you were buying, but chose to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

colm_mcm wrote: »
    And it was obviously working when you bought it,

It wasn't i didn't check it out properly (i know stupid me,it was my first time,i got nervous and my mind went blank when lookn at it)and the reverse light switch is gone so that and the smoke means its not road worthy as far as an nct is concerned and according to citizensinformation.ie its against the law to sell a car thats not road worthy.the only proof that i didnt blow the turbo is that its been declaired off the road since i got it by the guards,but dont gat hung up on that,that was just something i said id ad at the last second,my main concern is with the turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

While I disagree and find some of your sentences a bit silly i hate hearing this happen to someone. i presume youre a young fellow like myself. you look forward to having the freedom of a car and then it all goes pear shaped. i bought an 8v punto mk2 off my brother for 500e when i was 17. it has previously been pretty unreliable with regard to the ol head gaskets (due to my brothers retarded ignorance mind you). after tax and insurance i had maybe 200 in the bank left and no job (besides gardening for this old couple). my parents told me i was crazy and that if something went wrong with it, which they were 100% sure it would, that they wouldnt be helping.
    That car....boy did it look after me. i got a very good job about a month later and ended up doing about 400 miles a week in it. it had 97k miles (dangerously close to the nasty nasty 100k!) on it when I sold it for €650 :D
    Obviously this doesnt help you at all but your OP brought back memories.
    I miss that punto :( 01 C 590.....who owns the shaggin' thing now i wonder, if its not been scrapped for some sh1tty soul-less renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ha in fairness the punto hardly had much of a soul now :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Have you checked that none of the turbo hoses have come loose? Very common problem with mark 4 golfs.

Follow the pipes running to and from the turbo (drivers side near the front headlamp). Much cheaper fix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Well,if all comes to all,,and it is the Turbo.....Check out both of these places....They are both in Ireland,,and deliver nice and fast....

http://www.turbowizz.net/

http://turbo-tech.ie/

I got a price from both for Under €400 for a recon Turbo. Turbowizz has an option for as little as €300.

Now,,that was for an Octavia TDi unit,,so email them for a price....They both reply very fast.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Ebay turbo for €400 is probably chinese junk - avoid.

White smoke does not sound like a turbo to me at all. If the turbo had gone, I'd expect a lot of black smoke due to partially combusted fuel. White smoke with a hint of blue sounds like a head gasket failure to me.

Losing boost while driving means the car is going into limp mode i.e. it falls back to a low power mode in the ECU because a major fault has been detected.

Like another poster said, check all the boost hoses for a start - one may be burst or have popped off. Check the vacuum system - if that's leaking then it won't be able to control the turbo properly. Pop open the coolant filler cap and see if there's any 'mayo' in there - a sign that oil is mixing with the coolant and indicative of a HG failure.

Get it to someone with diagnostics too to see why it's falling into limp mode (whereabouts in the country are you?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I would imagine that if your turbo is spooling up ie getting power then dropping then your turbo is ok and as said above sounds like a cracked/loose pipe. If your turbo is gone it would be firing out a ton of smoke from the exhaust almost form the start.
    BUT....if you suspect your turbo is blown and until offically told/know your turbo is gone DONT DRIVE IT as your turbo my suck up all the oil and your engine may 'run on' with no oil and bang goes your engine.
    Anyone any thoughts on egr valve? Wastegate getting stuck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The 110bhp TDIs use a variable geometry turbine rather than a wastegate, but the vanes in those can soot up too. The result there is the vanes getting stuck, usually fully open or fully closed. Either can cause limp mode as they result in full boost all the time or no boost at all. Diagnostics would tell a lot here. The solution to that problem is to open up the hotside of the turbo and poke out all the soot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Chimaera wrote: »
    Diagnostics would tell a lot here.
    I think this the way to go here. Rather then forking out for a new turbo you may or may not need - get vag com on it and get it diagnosed.
    OP post your location and some kindly Boardsie may be able to help you out with a diagnostic.

Advertisement