Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivy Bridge Info

Options
  • 07-12-2011 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭

intel_ivy_bridge_specifications.png

Potentially not new information for some people, but I haven't seen all CPUs with other specs in a chart like this before, thought people might like a look. No prices yet though.

They also don't have any i3s up. From what I know the i3 3100 is supposed to be a 45W part. There's also ULV 17W parts, though I haven't found consolidated info on those yet.

Will try and keep this updated as new information surfaces.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I'm planning a new gaming build for the middle of next year, so I guess I'll be building around Ivy Bridge's answer to the 2500K. Excited about it already :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Intel do it again. Can they not simplify their naming conventions? The i5s are all quad cores that don't support multi-threading except for one which is a dual core and has multi-threading. That 3470T just seems to be thrown in out of no-where. Then based on model numbers alone it would seem odd to me that a 3570T would get it's ass kicked by a 3550. When you see the clock speed and TDP it's obvious but based on just looking at the model number you would assume bigger = better.

Could they not make i3 = dual core, i5 = quad core and i7 = quad core and multi-threading. Then have 33XX = low TDP T series, 34XX = middle TDP S series and 35XX = high TDP. Would clear things up massively I think. I know it's not a big deal but it can be a nightmare at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

Awwwww shiiiiit son!

I just bought a 2500k, and I still want one, even though I know that's retarded :D

30gpW.png

I think the HUGE improvement with 22nm we'll see with that new 22nm architecture, It'll be really interesting to see performance on that over sandy-bridge. I'd consider that more of a direct competitor to current sandy-bridge over ivy-bridge, since ivy is in laymans terms sort of a mini-sadybridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

So what's everyone's thoughts:

Better to jump in on a new architecture, or fab process?

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    So what's everyone's thoughts:

Better to jump in on a new architecture, or fab process?

The tock, imo.

Newer fab process will give performance, but the biggest thing that matters is the architecture on the chip, I think they've been the biggest performance leaps in the past.

That's what I was thinking initially, but:

While a new architecture usually gives a bigger performance jump, it can also *ahem* Bulldozer *ahem* fall flat on its face. A tick gives you improvements - smaller, yes - to a proven architecture.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Also, tock results in teething problems with new CPUs and mobos :o Screwy sockets? Dodgy chipset? Cache-crash silicon whoopsie?

Its still a bit confusing, as Intel cheated on their last Tick and added no new mid-range components at all, instead adding a super-high-end CPU and the low-end CPUs that had been missing from the original Tock :o

Solitaire wrote: »
    Also, tock results in teething problems with new CPUs and mobos :o Screwy sockets? Dodgy chipset? Cache-crash silicon whoopsie?

Its still a bit confusing, as Intel cheated on their last Tick and added no new mid-range components at all, instead adding a super-high-end CPU and the low-end CPUs that had been missing from the original Tock :o

Cache-crash silicon whoopsie. I like that. Teething problems was also what I was thinking of. Generally, a tick gives you a more stable, reliable, etc. platform.

Plus you can always rely on clocks going up and power going down :D

• Advertisement

Plus you can always rely on clocks going up and power going down :D

Indeed! 5.0GHz norm for Ivy Bridge, your reckon? :P

Only on the unlocked ones alas! :o

I've bought a bread and butter 8gig, 560ti, 2500k build just last week. I know it's a work-horse and it'll do anything I need but I cant help but feel like it was a bad time to buy, with ivybridge and the 7 series on the horizon!

Oh well, I guess if you keep waiting and watching the train go by, you'll never get on!

How do you think I feel? Bought my 950 just over two weeks before the 2500K arrived. Maaaan... was I pissed. :P

How do you think I feel? Bought my 950 just over two weeks before the 2500K arrived. Maaaan... was I pissed. :P

Ouchies! Are you tempted to replace the 950 with ivybridge maybe? that'd be a step up that might be worth it, as you're going up 2 generations so to speak!

Oh well, I guess if you keep waiting and watching the train go by, you'll never get on!

This. I had to wait for decent LGA1156 mITX mobos so it wasn't too long long after I went up to an i5-760+HD6850 that Sandy hits the shelves... but... so what? This will easily keep me going until Haswell at least :D

This. I had to wait for decent LGA1156 mITX mobos so it wasn't too long long after I went up to an i5-760+HD6850 that Sandy hits the shelves... but... so what? This will easily keep me going until Haswell at least :D

I still have that silly little part of me that wants the top of the line tech, the most badass shiny shiny ****. It's so silly, but I cant kill it!

Always the same :o We all feel your pain! :D

Ouchies! Are you tempted to replace the 950 with ivybridge maybe? that'd be a step up that might be worth it, as you're going up 2 generations so to speak!

It'll be the Summer either way, so I might, I'm really not sure yet. I might look into a nice laptop instead or something.

I've come to realise that it's not performance that's the most important thing in a computer to me; it's performance per decibel. :P
    Always the same :o We all feel your pain! :D

Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I know it's too much to ask, but I'd love to see a "K" i3/dual core.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    I know it's too much to ask, but I'd love to see a "K" i3/dual core.
    I thought this was in the works or on the way?

That would be cool! Great for a small build to play older, but modded games. Freespace 2 and Bridge Commander come to mind. Games that are great when you have huge fleet battles, but are still single-threaded, and CPU bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

There were rumours of one for Sandy Bridge but it never appeared. I haven't heard about any for this generation but we haven't seen the i3s yet. It's doubtful though.

Quads aren't too bad if you get the equivalent of an i5-2400+H61 though. A single core can still spin up to good speeds if the other cores aren't fully loaded ;)

Quads aren't too bad if you get the equivalent of an i5-2400+H61 though. A single core can still spin up to good speeds if the other cores aren't fully loaded ;)

True. I'm still on 1st-gen i7 though, meaning comparatively craptacular turbo boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

a 35W i3 with HD4000 graphics would be sweet for a HTPC build. all the graphics power it'll ever need.

Pricing for the Ivy Bridge desktop parts has been posted on Slashgear. They look to be largely the same price as their Sandy Bridge counterparts.

http://www.slashgear.com/intel-ivy-bridge-desktop-cpu-pricing-leaks-20203598/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pricing for the Ivy Bridge desktop parts has been posted on Slashgear. They look to be largely the same price as their Sandy Bridge counterparts.

http://www.slashgear.com/intel-ivy-bridge-desktop-cpu-pricing-leaks-20203598/

I just wonder: do gamers even need such an upgrade? there are not many games that are pushing sandy to the limit, i am not even talking about Ivy.

pricing looks great though. how much would sandy drop so?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I just wonder: do gamers even need such an upgrade? there are not many games that are pushing sandy to the limit, i am not even talking about Ivy.

pricing looks great though. how much would sandy drop so?

It might be attractive to people with i3s whose graphics cards are already more than powerful enough for their resolution until 2013. For people with i5s it might provide an opportunity to pick up an i7 if they're like me and do enough video converting for streaming to make the HT useful. The latter would be a far more marginal upgrade than the former. And then you'll always have people who want the fastest and best regardless of whether they need it.

Finally people with non-k processors in general who are thinking about overclocking now might take a long look at these given the competitive pricing.

All comes down to performance though in the end and whether the premium over presumably reduced Sandy Bridge chips is worth it.

• Advertisement

Or, for people *ahem!* that never jumped on the 1155 bandwagon. :)

I'll either be upgrading to an Ivy Bridge desktop, or, slightly more likely at this point, picking up an Ivy Bridge laptop.

Advertisement