Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivy Bridge Info

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Serephucus wrote: »

"By raising voltage to 1.889 Volts, using 63x multiplier and 112.11 MHz and using dry ice - the 22nm beast passed 7000 MHz"

I'd like to see what a more long term overclock would be capable of.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Yeah, 1.9V = Dead CPU in 2 months :P Hell, with Sandy Bridge you shouldn't push it past 1.35V for chip longevity, unless you plan to upgrade in 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

WANT.

i was kinda hoping Intel would release an 8 core at this stage though. info on haswell has been leaked too and it also looks like a quad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

7ghz?... So now instead of 50% max load while playing you get 25% max load :D

Sounds good, so I guess 5.5ghz safe setups should not be hard to get.

Showcases like this usually don't mean much in terms of 24/7 overclocks, but it's at least something to go on. If nothing else, 5.0GHz should be easy enough to achieve with these.

Showcases like this usually don't mean much in terms of 24/7 overclocks, but it's at least something to go on. If nothing else, 5.0GHz should be easy enough to achieve with these.
    id love to get 5.5.

intersting thing is that its an OC on all 4 cores with HT enabled, and using dry ice, which i think is only around -80C? LN2 is colder still, and liquid helium is what, around -240C? i dont think bullDozer is going to hold its 8.xGhz OC title for very long, which was done on 1 core.

That's a good point actually - the 3770 might "only" do 5.0 for everyday use, but the 3570 (without HT) would probably run around 8-10°C cooler, and might well manage around 5.5.

CPUz appears to be a fake. pic borrowed from another forum, notice the spacing between the 7 and the 0 in both circles. its clearer if you zoom in.

img taggs not working?

why go through all that trouble?

• Advertisement

an engineering sample preview is out. so far, not good overclockers and high temps...

www.tweaktown.com/articles/4621/intel_ivy_bridge_overclocking_with_the_core_i7_3770k_and_core_i5_3570k_cpus/index9.html

That's usually the case with ES chips. Still not a good omen though.

*hugs his sandy bridge 2500k and giggles like a little girl.

bump time.

8th April came and went with nothing new.

Release date was expected to be 29th April, but industry sources now say april 23. NDA is still speculated to be 29th April though.

What to expect, and should you upgrade from Sandy?

Short answer, no.

long answer:

Retail revision chips have been popping up on ebay for a while now (for around $350), and several people have been previewing them. This is important to distinguish between engineering samples which naturally run hot, and stuff that you're likely to buy.

a great comparison is this one. Of interest is the summary benchmark results of the i5-3570K vs i7-2600K HT OFF
    3DMark 11.
    3.4Ghz - 0.75% Improvement
    4.5Ghz - -2.27% Improvement

3DMark Vantage
    3.4Ghz - 3.47% Improvement
    4.5Ghz - 1.69% Improvement

CineBench
    3.4Ghz - 4.41% Improvement
    4.5Ghz - 5.35% Improvement

SuperPi 32M
    3.4Ghz - 3.37% Improvement
    4.5Ghz - 2.01% Improvement

Wprime 1.55
    3.4Ghz - 4.76% Improvement
    4.5Ghz - 3.60% Improvement

Wprime 2.09
    3.4Ghz - 4.71% Improvement
    4.5Ghz - 3.06% Improvement

Handbrake
    3.4Ghz - 7.39% Improvement
    4.5Ghz - 5.38% Improvement

But those bench's dont tell the full story. IB is hot :(. Due to the die shrink, thinner silicon, and 3D tri-gate tech allowing more electrons to flow in the silicon, hence naturally more heat, they've become very hot chips, making it quite difficult to get good clocks on air (4.3->4.5ghz if you're lucky) For reference, another member was getting 65C @ 1.18V @ 4.5ghz on Prolimatech Megahalem cooler w 2 fans, on an open bench.

max voltages appear to be around 1.4v (2500K is 1.52v), and most people are hitting a 4.5ghz wall, even under Ln2 etc. pushing it over 4.5ghz with any vcore increase makes temps spike 15-20C at times, which is completely unsuitable for 24/7 gaming. IB also has a lower TDP (77W vs 95W) and people are suggesting to not exceed 70*C under any load, which is down from the 2500K 75-80*C limit.
    As a rule of thumb, you can see IB as a SB + 300mhz.
    Ill update when I come across anything interesting.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    bump time.

8th April came and went with nothing new.

Release date was expected to be 29th April, but industry sources now say april 23. NDA is still speculated to be 29th April though.

What to expect, and should you upgrade from Sandy?

Short answer, no.

long answer:

Retail revision chips have been popping up on ebay for a while now (for around $350), and several people have been previewing them. This is important to distinguish between engineering samples which naturally run hot, and stuff that you're likely to buy.

a great comparison is this one. Of interest is the summary benchmark results of the i5-3570K vs i7-2600K HT OFF

But those bench's dont tell the full story. IB is hot :(. Due to the die shrink, thinner silicon, and 3D tri-gate tech allowing more electrons to flow in the silicon, hence naturally more heat, they've become very hot chips, making it quite difficult to get good clocks on air (4.3->4.5ghz if you're lucky) For reference, another member was getting 65C @ 1.18V @ 4.5ghz on Prolimatech Megahalem cooler w 2 fans, on an open bench.

max voltages appear to be around 1.4v (2500K is 1.52v), and most people are hitting a 4.5ghz wall, even under Ln2 etc. pushing it over 4.5ghz with any vcore increase makes temps spike 15-20C at times, which is completely unsuitable for 24/7 gaming. IB also has a lower TDP (77W vs 95W) and people are suggesting to not exceed 70*C under any load, which is down from the 2500K 75-80*C limit.
    As a rule of thumb, you can see IB as a SB + 300mhz.
    Ill update when I come across anything interesting.

nice one bud. Like i said before: they did a feck up with sandy bridge, WAAAAAY ahead of its time.

you know what all this reminds me? the consoles. You know how they made nice and lovely launch ps3? 60gb, can play ps1,ps2,ps3 games. 4 usb ports, card reader. Awesome machine. then the new ones came stripped down: only ps3 games, down to 2 usb ports and n card reader. still same ps3, but striped down to make it cheaper. :(
    Expect 2500k go in prices again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

OH MY GOD http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Sony-PlayStation-3-60-GB-Piano-Black-Console-NTSC-/100299018?LH_ItemCondition=1000&_dmpt=Video_Games&_pcategid=139971&_pcatid=814&_refkw=playstation+3+60gb#

I've got a launch ps3 with all the boxes and everything but opened... I wonder if I can get my money back!

Edit: Ebay says 600$ adverts says 200euro. Gah. I got my hopes up oh so very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

OH MY GOD http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Sony-PlayStation-3-60-GB-Piano-Black-Console-NTSC-/100299018?LH_ItemCondition=1000&_dmpt=Video_Games&_pcategid=139971&_pcatid=814&_refkw=playstation+3+60gb#

I've got a launch ps3 with all the boxes and everything but opened... I wonder if I can get my money back!

Edit: Ebay says 600$ adverts says 200euro. Gah. I got my hopes up oh so very high.

Maybe I'm missing something but what does this have to do with Ivy Bridge?

Absolutely nothing.

Edit: Well actually no, that's not true I suppose. It's the fact that the first gen is better than second gen, but it's loose. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Absolutely nothing.

Edit: Well actually no, that's not true I suppose. It's the fact that the first gen is better than second gen, but it's loose. :P

Grasping at straws there :D

nice one bud. Like i said before: they did a feck up with sandy bridge, WAAAAAY ahead of its time.

you know what all this reminds me? the consoles. You know how they made nice and lovely launch ps3? 60gb, can play ps1,ps2,ps3 games. 4 usb ports, card reader. Awesome machine. then the new ones came stripped down: only ps3 games, down to 2 usb ports and n card reader. still same ps3, but striped down to make it cheaper. :(
    Expect 2500k go in prices again soon.
    Maybe I'm missing something but what does this have to do with Ivy Bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

Do you guys think the sandy bridge chips will go down in price when the ivy hit the shelves? :)

I believe the 560/570/580 took a bit of a drop in price when the 680s came out.

Do you guys think the sandy bridge chips will go down in price when the ivy hit the shelves? :)

I believe the 560/570/580 took a bit of a drop in price when the 680s came out.

in my opinion sandy will stay same and ivy will be a bit more expensive, but so far, i dont know why would you want ivy over sandy in desktop.

570/580 did droped in price, but not too much, nothing to get exited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

CPUs rarely drop when they're 'obsolete'. New ones anyway. They just dry up in supply and stay the same price. It will be a bit different this time with forward compatibility but I'd say that the supply will still disappear maybe after a small price drop.

So if someone was building a new rig in the next while, after the release of ivy, would it be worth choosing ivy or is sandy still king?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

I was just thinking the same as the above poster. I've been doing research for a while now and am days away from ordering a 2600K build (I know all about the 2500K benefits but I like my CPU bound games), so I was hoping the 2600K would drop to 2500K price. I'm probably dreaming. :rolleyes:

If/when I upgrade (It'll be the Summer if I do, not sure on funds yet) I think I'll be going for Sandy Bridge. I'm a little different though in that mine will be under water, and I'll be looking for a very high overclock (4.8GHz absolute minimum, 5.0 if I can manage it) so I don't have to worry about temperatures or noise. I'm only voltage limited with Ivy doesn't seem to like all that much from the looks of things.

If you want the absolute highest performance, I think that still rests with Sandy Bridge, but Ivy Bridge uses less power and is a little hotter, but clocks less. It's a toss-up, but I think Sandy wins out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I was just thinking the same as the above poster. I've been doing research for a while now and am days away from ordering a 2600K build (I know all about the 2500K benefits but I like my CPU bound games), so I was hoping the 2600K would drop to 2500K price. I'm probably dreaming. :rolleyes:

Not for a long while I'd imagine.

Sandy gets my vote too. I am not regretting buying it, and I would still had not regret it, even if avy would have turned out decent.

I don't quite understand QuickSync, but seeing as it has quickSync with intel HD 4000, would that make it better for rendering video? 2500k or higher are all completely overkill for my gaming needs so it would pretty much come down to performance with programs like anything from the adobe suite and sony vegas. Or is quicksync still something only used by like 10 programs as it was when first released? All I can see on official pages is the very small list of programs supported but I wonder if there are any actually helpful applications which can take use of this feature.

• Advertisement

I don't quite understand QuickSync, but seeing as it has quickSync with intel HD 4000, would that make it better for rendering video? 2500k or higher are all completely overkill for my gaming needs so it would pretty much come down to performance with programs like anything from the adobe suite and sony vegas. Or is quicksync still something only used by like 10 programs as it was when first released? All I can see on official pages is the very small list of programs supported but I wonder if there are any actually helpful applications which can take use of this feature.
    it'll likely be quite allot better than SB. Quicksync is a very powerful feature, but for some reason it hasn't really impacted the dev community, certainly not the likes of Adobe last I checked, and its inexplicable. its such a beautiful tool, and the benchmarks don't lie. the few times I've used it, it was much, much faster and higher quality than using 6970CF to do the rendering. hopefully Intel pushes it hard with IB release.

Advertisement