Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivy Bridge Info

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,950 ✭✭✭✭briany

Perfectly happy with my 2500k won't be needing to hop aboard the Ivy Bridge train. Not an upgrade fiend anyway, only feel the need to upgrade when the comp starts showing it's age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Well the IB nda is apparently up, but the only review I could find is from techspot and its been pulled again with no Google cache. it was a poor review anyway. I'm thinking either the nda is still on till the 29th, or no one has a chip to review yet.

edit: wait until 12pm EST so 5pm for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

overclock3d video going up soon.
    "Tinytomlogan
    Is ready to click upload. Tick Tock - Tick Tock ;)
    Like · · Share · 6730 · about an hour ago · "

Anandtech bench has the 3770K up.

www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=551

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Trading blows with 3930k, for it's price point 3770k looks pretty great from this test. Going to be interesting to see the scaling of performance when overclocked though. Still leaves me undecided between 3930 and IB. Price is going to be the deal maker I think.

EDIT:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Anandtech bench has the 3770K up.

www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=551

gaming wise according from this:

whoever has 2500k can just stay with it and dont bother with i7 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That review is quite interesting actually.

Overclocking cliff-notes:
    Overclocks a bit worse than SB, but is better clock for clock, so evens out, almost.
    Temperatures are nuts with higher volts. Temps increase far faster relative to voltage than with SB.

End note: If you have SB, stick with it. If you're getting a new system, at least get Z77, and may as well get IB.

Seems to be the consensus alright. Going to wait for a few more reviews though.

Serephucus wrote: »
    That review is quite interesting actually.

Overclocking cliff-notes:
    Overclocks a bit worse than SB, but is better clock for clock, so evens out, almost.
    Temperatures are nuts with higher volts. Temps increase far faster relative to voltage than with SB.

End note: If you have SB, stick with it. If you're getting a new system, at least get Z77, and may as well get IB.

Seems to be the consensus alright. Going to wait for a few more reviews though.

just watching Toms review, and he just says at one point tempretures just go nuts. and thats nothing to do with cooling anymore.

considering that gaming performance between i5 sandy vs i7 ivy is minimal, i wont bother upgrading at all.

any prices on those things now? is it only i7 out now or i5 stuff is out too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

will be interesting to see how these are priced

I'm a little disappointed, but I suppose IB @ 4.8 is SB @ 5.0/5.1 in most cases, so that's not too bad. It's just unfortunate that it get so damn hot.

• Advertisement

Toms review conclusion just says it all really. they shrank it down and used way less silicon. so break down point with tempretures are lower then sandy.

ivy = sandy + better performing memory. thats is all.

3.0 pci is just a lot of noise amd no real benefit at this point.

Overclocks are Meh.

toms words: "if you are on 2500k 2600k 2700k, dont bother with ivy"

Ah, but you see, I'm not. I have decisions to make, do I.

I'm hoping for a few refinements that bring temperatures a little more under control by the time I go to buy one, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Lol, he called Bulldozer ****.

Ah, but you see, I'm not. I have decisions to make, do I.

I'm hoping for a few refinements that bring temperatures a little more under control by the time I go to buy one, hopefully.

did you watched his conclusion m8? It is very dissapointing CPU. and thats with no info on price. He was very fair to it too.

though in your case, you might as well just go ivy+z77 now as you are still on old i7.

though this was i7, which was really dissapointing even compared to i5 2500k. i presume i5 stuff will be even lower then that so.

Lol, he called Bulldozer ****.

yeah, i loled so much!

and he did not even made fuzz about it, it was just like.... part of his speach :D

I laughed at that one too (which is difficult to do, mind you). There goes his chances of getting any more Fuzion samples. (not really)

Oh, and early speculation was that IB chips will launch with the same current price as their SB counterparts. Whether SB will see a price drop (and how much that will be, if any) isn't known at the moment, though it's not very likely.

Yeah, I did watch his conclusion. What you have to remember though is that Ivy is more powerful than Sandy clock-for-clock. Anywhere from 5-15% or so. That's what I mean. A 4.8GHz on Ivy is pretty respectable, considering it would give you equivalent performance to a Sandy chip at 5.2. (estimated figures, factoring 10% improvement)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Could make my build more interesting, will probably go for the 3570k if it's around the price of the 2500k.

I'd stake my steak on it that the 3570K will start at the €210 mark, if you're lucky.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I'd stake my steak on it that the 3570K will start at the €210 mark, if you're lucky.

if it will go for 210eu, then i would still go for 2500k and recomend 2500k+z77 in builds.

the problem isn't even just the 20 (or more like €30) extra you're going to spend on it, but also the cooling. the Macho is going to be the bare minimum for any OC, and most people want to get a significant improvement when spending €35 on a cooler.

it also won't be a "spend €20 extra on the 2500K (instead of 2400) and with 2 clicks of the mouse get 4.6Ghz"

there is no way I'd recommend a quick turbo OC to a tech noob on ivy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

This man seems to think someone who's building a system from scratch (like me) is better off to go with ivy.

I've been waiting to see how this turned out before I dedided on my mobo and chip. Maybe a few weeks will see if ivy is a beast or if sandy drops in price... :)

This man seems to think someone who's building a system from scratch (like me) is better off to go with ivy.

I've been waiting to see how this turned out before I dedided on my mobo and chip. Maybe a few weeks will see if ivy is a beast or if sandy drops in price... :)

it depends whats your budget.

keep in mind we are talking about ivy i7 vs sandy i5. 2500k will be waaaaay cheaper to ivy i7, but as we see for a gamer i7 still stays i7 - useless and overpriced. i would wait and see how do i5 ivy get along, but from what we see about i7 it is does not look too good.

Look what we have here...

i5 3570K - €212
    i5 2500K - €197

i7 3770K - €314
    i7 2600K - €268
    i7 2700K - €284

Bear in mind that HWVS's prices do tend to jump around quite a bit, especially when the item is new and/or not in stock, but good ballpark figures at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So would the Ivy i5 be worth the 15 quid (in a new build, from scratch)?

Given that it's already at least 15% faster than the 2500K, I'd say definitely. Not quite so sure on the 3770K though.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Given that it's already at least 15% faster than the 2500K, I'd say definitely. Not quite so sure on the 3770K though.

running at stock I'd say yes but I've been reading a good bit of reviews and most say that ivy doesn't give much extra in the way of overclocking so in this respect I think a cheaper sandybrige would be a better option for anyone planning to overclock tho this is only a handful of CPU's tested so wait till the release and this might change

the retail 3570 is quite a bit more expensive than the 'tray' at the moment.
    www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=56296&agid=1617

232e vs 212e.

unfortunately, that's the only one I (or anyone) should be interested in, because of the extended warranty, something very useful when it comes to OCing an experimental chip.

Advertisement