Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reception in Western Gate Building

• 07-12-2011 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Currently with Meteor and wondering if Meteor are the only network that don't get reception in the WGB? I wanna switch to Three but won't if they don't get reception there seeing as I'm in there 90% of the time I'm in college. I know o2 get reception and will switch to them otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

two friends of mine are with Three, and the coverage isn't great.

They are supposed to be putting a booster on the roof for Vodafone, which should sort the signal for vodafone and any networks that use Vodafone. I've no idea when that is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

I thought they put devices into the rooms that block phone signal no? A little black aerial thing?

I just use webtexts most of the time anyways.

I thought they put devices into the rooms that block phone signal

unless you mean walls, then no.

phone jammers are illegal in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Didn't know that, It was just my guess to stop peoples from going off during lectures and stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I thought they put devices into the rooms that block phone signal no? A little black aerial thing?

I just use webtexts most of the time anyways.

If the black aeriel thing is the thing I'm thinking off, thats for the wireless signal in the rooms and around the corridoors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Signal wouldnt be great in the WGB with all the metal bits floating around...

Its virtually non existant in the lecture halls unless you're near a window..

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Guess I'll switch to o2 then. My friend is with them and he gets pretty good reception everywhere in the building. Pitty cause Three have that deal with free mobile internet and any network texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i don't think it matters what network you're with. the walls are probably extra thick or something. if you stand by the door to the building you'll have near full signal

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

I still don't get full reception by the door and I don't see why it wouldn't make a difference what network you're on.

Different networks use different cell sites and thus your distance from the cell site and other factors will effect the signal for a particular network. There is also other factors to take into consideration like the amplifier on the phone but as I said my friend on o2 gets near full reception throughout the building, even in the labs and lecture halls.

Obviously it's not going to be as good as it is outside but a stronger cell site used by the network will mean a better signal in the building. My question was really who had the strongest cell site in the area.

My question was really who had the strongest cell site in the area.

it's O2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

yeah im with o2 and full reception. WGB has free guest wifi anyway or u can sign ur phone up to the UCC wifi, so u wont need free phone internet in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

im on three,

in and around the restaurant and the stairs with windows my phone works fine,

in G20 i have one bar 3g usually.

outside G20 i have full signal.

in 107 and G05 and G01 i have no signal. in the middle of the building (by shop) i have no signal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I have found the reception is not great there especially with vodafone. O2 seem to be the best of the phone networks that have good reception in the WGB.

Depends where in the building you are will determine the reception. Like if you are in a lecture room, in the cafeteria, or just outside the cafeteria, near bathrooms, or in the hall. Sometimes just outside the building the reception varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I still don't get full reception by the door and I don't see why it wouldn't make a difference what network you're on.

Different networks use different cell sites and thus your distance from the cell site and other factors will effect the signal for a particular network. There is also other factors to take into consideration like the amplifier on the phone but as I said my friend on o2 gets near full reception throughout the building, even in the labs and lecture halls.

Obviously it's not going to be as good as it is outside but a stronger cell site used by the network will mean a better signal in the building. My question was really who had the strongest cell site in the area.
    what network have you? i'm on both vodafone and o2 and both seem to be the same. maybe its down to the phone antenna

i doubt the networks matter too much as it is pretty much the city center so they will all have cell towers in the area.

Advertisement