Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how many can I fail?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Exams...
    Doing 5 Modules this Semester...
    How many can I fail or does it change with every course?
    Don't mean to be pessimistic (just realistic) but say if I failed all my Modules,
    Would I have the chance to repeat them all or fail year?
    Can't wait for Physics tomorrow to get the ball rolling :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

If you keep your QCA up above 2.0 then you can carry onto the next Semester with repeats in the summer.

That's the standardised version; you'll need to check with your course director for the version for your course as it may be different.

Basically 2 per semester if you keep the QCA up above 2.0 in both sessions.

Try your best to pass them; you'll thank yourself for it in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

4 overall i think,4 in one semester and none in the other 3 in the first 1 in the second i think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

cson wrote: »

If you keep your QCA up above 2.0 then you can carry onto the next Semester with repeats in the summer.

That's the standardised version; you'll need to check with your course director for the version for your course as it may be different.

Basically 2 per semester if you keep the QCA up above 2.0 in both sessions.

Try your best to pass them; you'll thank yourself for it in the summer.

What he said. But remember, these are compensating fails we're talking about. You can't afford to outright fail anything. Do that and you'll have to repeat the exam (or worse, the year).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

It's Maths that's going to **** me over in that department...
    Need 35%,
    Have 7% out of 30% got...
    Need 28% out of 70% now...
    Along with a stroke of luck and a God-given miracle...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

You are limited to a maximum of 2 repeats per semester and 4 per year so that's the maximum amount of fails you can have as well.

If you get compensating fails (D1 or D2) you may not need to repeat them if your QCA is above 2.0 for the semester/year.

Repeat exams are capped at C3 grade, so you need to bear that in mind too. Progression to the following year depends on your QCA being above 2.0 and if a repeat won't bring you up to that level then there's no point doing it.

If you do not meet the progression requirements, you can repeat individual modules on a link-in basis (pay fees per module), repeat the entire semester, or repeat the entire year. Each option is progressively more expensive.

• Advertisement

I see myself getting a D in Physics and God willing above 35% in Maths today...
    If I got another D would I fail semester or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

I can't understand this.... maybe you should get off boards.ie and just do some study?

Multitasking,
    Don't worry about me, my friend,
    I'll be fine.
    In fairness though,
    When I did comment,
    I was in UL Library printing off stuff and commenting whilst it was printing so I wasn't really going too far out of my way on this occasion...
    Touching that you care though :')

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

You should try to make use of the math learning centre too.... When I say I can't understand this I guess I was more thinking of exam pass marks not as all you need to do. Your post about how much you need to pass made me wonder if there are people out there who come to college to just get by.... Maybe there are, maybe I'm naive but it just makes no sense to me.

I wish you well and if you want to do better than just pass the math, I'd say it's maths learning centre for you.

What maths module is it?

I'll get around to it next semester I reckon,
    Maths is my worst module by far.
    Honours Maths for a Pass student.
    Doing reasonable in everything else,
    Just Maths like...

Science Maths 1 I think it's called

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

4 exams down, two fails, one (maths) is possibly a compensating fail. Two more to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Do the four fails have to be 2 from each semester?. I've definitely failed 2 but there's a 3rd one which I'm not really sure of. If I do fail 3 out of the 1st semester is that me finished?

2 per semester, 4 per year.

Being honest about it, if you're likely to fail that many, then you're in the wrong course and you need to get out and stop wasting taxpayers money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

you're probably right i signed up for music not maths and programming.
    although it's not the course as such it's year one. with maths and programming from year 2 on is the stuff im interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure you can only repeat 4 irrespective of whether it's 2 in each or 4 in first and 0 in second. I don't know if that makes sense tbh I'm that tired, up in 3 hours again:( I swear next semester WILL be different, not like the last 2 times I said it, I mean it this time:mad:

I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure you can only repeat 4 irrespective of whether it's 2 in each or 4 in first and 0 in second

It's really simple: you can fail a MAXIMUM of 2 exams in each semester and that resutls in a limit of 4 for the year. It doesn't allow you to fail 3 in one semester and 1 in the other.

Here's the relevant snippet from Academic Regulations (http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/388196739.pdf):
    4.3.5 Progression Following Autumn Semester
    4.3.5.1 Only students due to start Cooperative Education placement or other professional placement in the Spring semester are subject to critical review. Once a student has progressed into the year in which the Cooperative Education or other professional placement takes place, progression to such placement is automatic except in those cases where students who are required to repeat the year or part thereof would be prevented from doing so by the timing of the placement.
    4.3.5.2 Students who have not met the minimum standards will, on the recommendation of the relevant Examination Board, be required to do one of the following:
    a.
    Take annual repeats for a maximum of two modules (excluding I grades) from the Autumn semester (AR 1.4.20)
    b.
    Repeat a full semester
    c.
    Repeat the full year
    d.
    Have their enrolment terminated
    4.3.5.3 Faculty Examination Boards may specify modules to be repeated by non-progressing students.
    4.3.5.4 Eligibility for access to the annual repeats is based on a residual QCA of at least 2.00.
    4.3.6 Progression Following Spring Semester
    4.3.6.1 All students are subject to critical review in the Spring semester. Progression to Cooperative Education placement is automatic except in those cases where students who are required to repeat the year or part thereof would be prevented from doing so by the timing of the placement. However, prospective graduates are dealt with via the Academic Council Examination Board process.
    4.3.6.2 Students who do not achieve the minimum standard outlined in academic regulation 1.5.3 shall, at the discretion of the relevant Faculty Examination Board, be permitted to do one of the following:
    Handbook of Academic Regulations & Procedures approved by Academic Council 13/04/11 and 25/05/11 33
    a.
    Take annual repeats for a maximum of four modules in any two-semester academic year (AR 1.4.20)
    b.
    Repeat a full semester
    c.
    Repeat the full year
    d.
    Have their enrolment terminated

From 4.3.5.2(a) you are allowed 2 repeats from the Autumn semester.
    From 4.3.6.2(a) you are allowed 4 repeats from the year. This one is a little ambiguous but I'm inclined to think it should be read in the context of 4.3.5.2(a) leaving you with 2 repeats from Spring also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Chimaera wrote: »

From 4.3.5.2(a) you are allowed 2 repeats from the Autumn semester.
    From 4.3.6.2(a) you are allowed 4 repeats from the year. This one is a little ambiguous but I'm inclined to think it should be read in the context of 4.3.5.2(a) leaving you with 2 repeats from Spring also.

I'm pretty sure that's only if you're starting Co-op in the second semester

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Chimaera wrote: »
    It's really simple: you can fail a MAXIMUM of 2 exams in each semester and that resutls in a limit of 4 for the year. It doesn't allow you to fail 3 in one semester and 1 in the other.

Um not sure if I remember entirely correctly but I'm pretty sure I repeated 3 exams from semester 2 in 1st year...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

This thread is why I support the reintroduction of fees.

Advertisement