Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity Monthly Plan Increase

Options
  • 07-12-2011 6:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I switched to airtricity back in February 2009 and went with their monthly average plan (they calculate your average monthly spend and charge you this each month as opposed to having higher bills in winter and lower in summer).

I believe the first year was calculated around €45 a month and then for the past year I was paying €44 I think, so no major increase.

Since then, I've read stories about electric companies upping their prices and now I've just received my latest monthly plan for the next 12 months which is coming in at €63 a month :eek: that's quite an increase considering my usage isn't all that different from before.

Just wondering, is this due to the increases I vaguely remember reading about, or an overestimated guess at my spending for the next year? I guess it could be taking last winter into account and making up for that but it seems like a big % increase.

Also, would anyone know, say if they are making up last winters spend with the €63 installments over the next year, out of curiosity, if I moved dwelling now and only paid one €63 and then closed the account, would my account be seen as owing money since they may have been making up my spending for the last year in the new calculation and would they seek to obtain this somehow? Not planning on moving but just curious.

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Bump for this, as myself and the mister were thinking of going with this option when we move in March, but if they're being funny with the charges...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Not sure if they are being funny, just got an increase and was wondering if their prices had increased too? I heard from somebody ESB are now cheaper? Airtricity have never charged incorrectly etc and I like the monthly payment plan, knowing how much each bill will be, was just quite a hike for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

cormie wrote: »
    Not sure if they are being funny, just got an increase and was wondering if their prices had increased too? I heard from somebody ESB are now cheaper? Airtricity have never charged incorrectly etc and I like the monthly payment plan, knowing how much each bill will be, was just quite a hike for me.

Their €45 a month estimate for you last year was probably too low on their part, so you may have payed too little for your actual usage for 2011.

And now they have revised your monthly average upwards to what last years monthly average should have been, with a bit extra per month to make up a possible euros payed shortfall for last years usage. Also, prices have increased on top of all that.

So in short, maybe its a correction.

Thanks for that. That could be it alright, but I did submit regular meter readings and it's strange the second year was so close to the first.

Funny enough, I had an ESB rep at the door, trying to get me to switch back. He said I switched from them about 3 years ago and that if it was airtricity, the discount only applied for the first 12 months or so (maybe that's the increase too?) anyway, he said ESB are now 9% cheaper?

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for that. That could be it alright, but I did submit regular meter readings and it's strange the second year was so close to the first.

Funny enough, I had an ESB rep at the door, trying to get me to switch back. He said I switched from them about 3 years ago and that if it was airtricity, the discount only applied for the first 12 months or so (maybe that's the increase too?) anyway, he said ESB are now 9% cheaper?

If you take a meter reading now, and keep a note of it, you can read it on the first of each month and see what your monthly average is yourself. That will help you keep a track of what the monthly units used are at least.

At present, the standard esb unit is 18 cent including vat.

• Advertisement

Thanks Robbie, I know there was a battle between Bord Gais and Airtricity taking ESB's customers, seems ESB are fighting back for them but I like the monthly fixed price plan with airtricity and would prefer not to switch back if possible :)

I wasnt suggesting switching back anyway, i just put the esb unit price up so you can compare it. I have no idea what the airtricity price is. If you do keep a track of your monthly usage, you can calculate the actual
    average yourself at the end of this year and compare to the billing average airtricity sends you.

Thanks for that, I'm sure they aren't trying to do me out of a few euro, just wondering if the prices have increased for everyone compared to what we would have signed up to 3 years ago :) I guess the ESB guy confirmed they did. I remember reading something about all electricity companies having to increase their pricing.

Advertisement